Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kiev 4 repair & modification
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:46 am    Post subject: Kiev 4 repair & modification Reply with quote

Got a shutter stuck Kiev 4 for 9,99 €. My left index finger starts finally to heal from the latest "industrial accident" (http://forum.mflenses.com/af-is-good-sometimes-t8476.html) so it is time to get some practice.

But here comes the crazy part of project: If and when I ever get the shutter fixed I replace the original mount with an interchangeable m42 / canon fd mount. Shocked Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will need extension tubes of exactly the required difference in register distances, or even more, but not less, otherwise you will not be able to focus at all.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I know, that is the challenge .. Cool

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shutter fixed, even the times seem to be in order. Fortunately all cogs and springs were in place and working. Lower curtain was stuck behind what I think is the flash synchronization spring (yellow mark).

Next job is to start making the mount. I think I'll have to remove the original focus mechanism, first I though the new mount would fit around the old one - but then - I dont't have any contax lenses. Then I have to make some sort of dial for the distance metering, which seems to work. Simplest would be to paint some different colourings to the metering wheel itself: black for infinity, red for 2 meters etc.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not very far anymore. Just have to replace the cardboard with aluminium.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shutter test with Helios 44M.

All pics aperture about 8. No (auto-)sharpening, toning, contrasts etc., just pure CanoScan 4400F on "2400 dpi" and then scaled or cropped.
1/250, testing also infinity focus:

the same cropped:

1/250, distance around 1,5 m:

1/40, inside the house

1/5 handheld, but the long times work too!

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was all this good for? Why not buying a lens and using the camera as it was intended?

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did, see my signature .. Cool

The Helios was basically just a shutter test.
My first intention was really to produce something
that was FF but to which one could put almost any lens.
Of course one would have lost the rangefider coupling
but instead I could have engineered the scale somewhere
else. But the metal work was too just difficult an effort
and I ditched the project .. for a while.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you ever get this finished?

It reminds me of a Argus C3 modified to take M42 lenses sporting a Super Takumar that I saw some time ago.

I think its an interesting project