Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Portrait, Canon FD 85/1.2 S.S.C. Aspherical on Pentax
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:35 pm    Post subject: Portrait, Canon FD 85/1.2 S.S.C. Aspherical on Pentax Reply with quote

I'm still waiting for the FD to PK adapters I bought on eBay but shipping from China is slow as always. But this doesn't prevent me to hold the lens in front of my old *ist DS Smile

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pro! She have beautiful eyes!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is one exceptional lens what you hold in your hand, Peter.

Some history and facts:

http://www.luciolepri.it/lc2/marcocavina/articoli_fotografici/TEST_85mm_f_1,2/00_pag.htm

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So glad a photographer with your talent has this piece of magnificent glass Peter.

patrickh

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys! Sorry Attila, this was just a family snapshot. After this I got 9 out of focus shots because it's not easy holding the heavy lens to the camera Smile)

Indeed, I know the story behind this extraordinary lens (though I have never visited the link you provided, Orio, I have done it now but the online translations are very bad).

Too bad it won't fit on most camera systems. A Russian Pentaxian did modify the mount (though this is the newer L version, I have the older breechlock version), resulting in this:

I don't think I will ever go this route, but wait for the first viable FF EVIL system. Then I can have the best of both worlds: FF and lenses that don't need to be modified at all.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shot Peter. That´s why I love this lens.

Did you buy a special adapter ?

I found this one

Click here to see on Ebay.de

What do you expect because adapters with glass have normally not the best IQ.

Have a nice weekend.

Wink

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's indeed the adapter I bought, Rolf, though I have yet to receive it (them; I actually bought two) though.

Frankly, I don't expect a lot of IQ loss, wide open, because the adapter is a f/stop in itself. The picture will not improve, that for sure. That's why I bought two: I hope I can do something with the 2nd one once I have removed the glass (and most of the surrounding metal).

Have a good weekend too Smile

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Peter.

Perhaps you can write your experiences with this adapter into this thread. I´m very interested - and also on your results with the second one.

Wink

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be my guest; I will write everything I can once I have the adapters in my hands!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fine. Besides that I´m also waiting for a FF EVIL cam from C or N or P. That´s why I keep all my lenses here.

Wink

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still don't understand that there's not a Live View on the magnificent Leica M9. I'm sure it would sell even better then, despite its price. But OK, this is Leica so they can get away with it Smile

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Peter ..

a few words..

First of all, I am always amazed by your eye .. ..

Secondly, thanks for your idea holding lens in front of camera.

Well, I can take a little advantage as FD lenses fit quite well into EF mount.

I also do not understand Leica M9 strategy - only people they have this cam can say something.

I have a strong feeling that FF camera with no mirror is coming soon ..

I have tried the Samsung NX-10 and this camera really smells by something I really like even it needs to have some improvements.

But I must say that's what we're looking (waiting) for.

I do believe in FF mirrorles evil. Moreover, Samsung has own sensor and they can make it up! Fingers crossed!

Stan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stan, I agree with everything you have said, but I'd like to stay away from Samsung. They have no photographic past whatsoever, and I still hate the noisy Samsung sensor in my K-7 (well, hating is not the right word, but they could have done better).

A FF evil is pretty much a given and will come sooner than we think. SLR cameras are now nearing their end. Once electronic viewfinders have improved there's really no reason to have a moving mirror in our cameras. Of course, a SLR viewfinder does not consume power, but it's not like electronic viewfinders are very power hungry. Besides, there's always a solution for every problem. And... I'd love to see non-retrofocus wide angle lenses in a modern package. Exciting times are ahead.

Why not a FF EVIL from Pentax? I don't see them releasing a FF SLR ever, not since they announced the K-5 which not only has about 14 stops of DR at ISO 80, but probably also the best high ISO in the APS-C class.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
I'd love to see non-retrofocus wide angle lenses in a modern package. Exciting times are ahead

I have got one non-retrofocus lens - Voigtlander 15 f4.5 SL Super-Wide Heliar..
It really vignettes and corners are dark - well, pretty much I'd say but sharpness and CA issues are in incredible balance.

I am also not bothered by electronic viewfinder - surprisingly, I like it .. The DLSR cameras may have a big competitors soon Wink

tf

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:

A FF evil is pretty much a given and will come sooner than we think. SLR cameras are now nearing their end. Once electronic viewfinders have improved there's really no reason to have a moving mirror in our cameras.

Well, I for once would miss looking through a viewfinder and using my face to stabilize the camera and not having to wear a black cloth to block out sunlight from viewer. Maybe I'm old fashioned Smile

I will probably buy a FF evil when it comes out, just for the sake of using all my lenses on it. But I will never give up shooting reflex, that is for sure. it just fits me too well for some type of shooting (portraits, glamour)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Spotmatic wrote:

A FF evil is pretty much a given and will come sooner than we think. SLR cameras are now nearing their end. Once electronic viewfinders have improved there's really no reason to have a moving mirror in our cameras.

Well, I for once would miss looking through a viewfinder and using my face to stabilize the camera and not having to wear a black cloth to block out sunlight from viewer. Maybe I'm old fashioned Smile

I will probably buy a FF evil when it comes out, just for the sake of using all my lenses on it. But I will never give up shooting reflex, that is for sure. it just fits me too well for some type of shooting (portraits, glamour)

A FF EVIL is not the same as a P&S with live view on the back LCD. I was thinking about the Panasonic G1/GH1 and the like. Those have real viewfinders like the viewfinders you are used to. Only the ground glass screen is replaced with a LCD screen.

See, it's not that bad as it seems Smile

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the camera has a normal viewfinder then the thing is different.
But are those electronic viewfinders on par in quality with optical viewfinders?
I have the memory of the viewfinders of my camcorders and that was ugly Confused

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio, I understand your experience but I was really surprised by Samsung NX-10 elect. viewfinder.. I used to have Canon IS-something (I don't remember) and that camera has elect. viewfinder - I could actually see huge pixels - I felt like a fly which sees all in small patterns Smile

But these modern elect. viewfinders are slightly different and speaking for Samsung Nx-10 which covers 100 per cent of the view - I must say I would be happy with something like that - and the view REALLY looks like what you finally get although it is not reality. It's like a small liveview.

tf