Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

M42 & FD lenses on Canon Eos for HD video recording CMOS
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:30 pm    Post subject: M42 & FD lenses on Canon Eos for HD video recording CMOS Reply with quote

The story so far:
I would like to fit some manual lenses on my Canon Eos 550d, specifically for HD (1080p) video recording and would like some advice regarding the types of lenses I should go for as well as their pros and cons.

Initially and without doing proper research i bought a canon FD-EOS adaptor, and two FD lenses, a Canon 50mm f1.8 and a canon 24mm f2.8.
However i then looked into it and discovered that the FD-EOS adaptor was held in very low regard and its poor optics nullified the quality of the lenses i had bought.

I sold all of that on ebay.

I am now looking to do the same thing but with M42 lenses, because they fit onto EOS mounts with greater ease and without the need for optical correction.

My questions are as follows:

1. - Was it a good idea to get rid of the FD stuff - i never actually tried it out on the camera. i.e. Is the 550d CMOS sized sensor sensitive to the optical differences say between an FD lens 'by itself' and an FD lens adapted with cheap (£20 adaptor) optics?

2. - Regarding a M42 set up - how much of a difference will it make if I go for cheaper lenses - say things below CZJ level as they appear on ebay (Helios, Hoya, Fujinon, Pentacon, Panagor) ?

I have currently committed to buying the following:

55mm f2.2 Fujinon & 135mm f2.8 Panagor lens = £20
Pentacon 50mm f1.8 = £13
Hoya HMC 135mm f2.8 = £28

The Fujinon/panagor and Pentacon lenses come with a Fujica ST605 and Praktica TL1000 respectively.

Was this a good idea?

Needless to say i have a fairly tight budget, but enjoy the discipline. I also think that with the advent of HD video SLRs where auto-focus can be noisy/problematic this sort of subject will receive more attention. Indeed apologies if it has already been extensively dealt with elsewhere.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pentacon 50mm f1.8 is a good choice.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly would have tried the FD lenses. Digital is cheap, Canon glass is well respected AFAIK and if you had had a Canon adapter too.............

+1 on Pentacon lenses.

Personally, I really rate the Fujinon 55/2.2. I have a copy that has literally fallen to bits. But nice lens even so.

I think you should buy and try. IMHO the beauty of manual lenses is that gems can be had for very little money and you certainly have control.

Even some of the zooms (e.g. Tamron) can be good and ridiculously inexpensive.

Be careful though, otherwise you may be infected by LBA.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not what you want to hear but depending on how patient you are you may be able to pick up a CZJ Flektogon 35/2.4 for cheap. Think they normally go for ~£100.
The price may be a bit daunting, but (more than likely) you will keep the lens forever and it has many benefits:

- On APS-C 35mm = 56mm (1.6 crop factor). This is a good focal range to cover most things in video and can also be used for handheld shooting. The shorter the focal length, the less you ‘suffer’ from camera shake in your footage (no stabilisation with M42 lenses)
- Can use it for close up/macro work.
- Well regarded Zeiss optics: Colour, Contrast and Sharpness.
- If you look after it, it will hold its value on the market. I bought mine some time ago but prices always seem stable and there’s always demand for it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: M42 & FD lenses on Canon Eos for HD video recording Reply with quote

i.maitland wrote:

2. - Regarding a M42 set up - how much of a difference will it make if I go for cheaper lenses - say things below CZJ level as they appear on ebay (Helios, Hoya, Fujinon, Pentacon, Panagor) ?

It is already, often, difficult to spot differences between lenses when comparing on a full frame camera. Now, consider that what you see below is the relation between a full frame sensor and an aps-c sensor:

The area covered by the aps-c sensor corresponds to what is the "sweet spot" of a small format lens, the central part. In that area, nearly all lenses perform well, even the cheap no-name lenses. And the gap with the expensive lenses is greatly reduced just because of this. Most of the difference between expensive lenses and cheap lenses happens at the edges.
And even more so when used for motion pictures, where you can not stop a frame and analize it by pixel-peeping.
So for what you have to do you don't need to spend money on expensive lenses. Any decent lens will do, and you can find many decent lenses like Helios or Jupiter lenses for just a few Euros. Just don't forget to use a lens hood, and live happy and save money. Nobody will ever notice a difference between an aps-c motion picture shot with a MIR lens instead of a Flektogon lens.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FD lenses are good performer. I converted all My FDs to EOS. It's better result than using adapter. And here the different cost isn't significant.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IAZA wrote:
I converted all My FDs to EOS.

Did you do the work yourself? What's involved? I'm for giving up with FD lenses and an adapter.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tikkathree wrote:
IAZA wrote:
I converted all My FDs to EOS.

Did you do the work yourself? What's involved? I'm for giving up with FD lenses and an adapter.

No I'm not the one who convert. actually I have 3 FD and each modified by different person. In processing now is 100/2.8

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work with Canon 7D (stills and film). With crop sensor you'll find that you need some wider lenses. Flektogon 20/4 is cheap and exellent for video filming (focusing ring is exellent for filming use and it's min focus distance is just 16cm) and of course Flektogon 35/2.4 is exellent choise for still and video filming purposes.