Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tamron 103A (80-210/4)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:47 am    Post subject: Tamron 103A (80-210/4) Reply with quote

lens arrived today... you can see the condition of it...

It performs great... both @ f4 (80 and 210mm)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A superb lens, and one that can often be picked up for a tenner! And this one looks MINTY! Cool

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's more than minty.... it's new Cool Very Happy
it came with a AD2 for nikon, which I tried on a tamron 200/3.5 and found out that the aperture control on the lens doesn't work, blades are moving but the aperture ring has no efect on them... Question
and another thing, when I try to unscrew the rear group of lenses the blades open and close Question

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An excellent lens, I have bought several on ebay just because they are too cheap to pass up and have either sold them on or given them away at cost price.

The weird thing is I have seen copies sell on buy it now listings on ebay for £30-£40 but you often see them going for under £5 in normal auction listings!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rich color. thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.
Very good zoom lens.
Congrats. Smile

I found its older brother, the 03A 80-210 f3.8-4, which is said to be average compared to this one. I had it for 0,99£ on the bay, so... I don't complain and it is already quite good.
I like the "pump" zooming.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure this is a stupid question, but how would one find one of these if it came up on fleabay? Is it just a question of looking for Tamron 80-210mm or is it a particular serial number or is the lens marked somewhere 103A?

OK, answered my own question - most owners seem to mentoin the model number. There are dozens on fleabay, many at "outrageous" prices Smile

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when I'm searching on THE bay I only use "nikon" or nikkor" thats it... sometimes I use " X nikon" (X - vivitar, soligor, tamron...) Wink

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look for "Tamron" and "80-210". That should get you just 03A and 103A's

The 03A can be told from the 103A most easily because the 03 has a sliding hood.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice!

I seem somehow to have acquired three of these in their cases!

I only remember buying one - I guess the rest came as 'adapter holders' for their respective Adaptall-2 mounts? lol

Doug

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got tempted by this thread and now I'm awaiting a 103a that I snapped for 5 Euro. Hope it can compete with my Minolta Beercan, and I would be glad if it has less PF wide open.

I'll be back with images when it arrives.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here are some close up photos at both ends wide open and "normal" photos wide open

80 f4

210 f4

80 f4

210 f4

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fatdeeman wrote:

The weird thing is I have seen copies sell on buy it now listings on ebay for £30-£40 but you often see them going for under £5 in normal auction listings!

Not really all that weird, but rather typical instead. The dealers price their stuff higher in bin listings, hoping the uninformed and/or impatient will pay the higher prices. Usually if you're patient and you go for an auction instead of a bin, you can save a LOT of money.

Last edited by cooltouch on Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overcast and gloomy. No weather for serious photography.
Seems very sharp from wide open, and a nice feeling in the zoom/focus ring.

Some first shots though.

Son playing with A2 adapter

Some kind of cabbage flower.

More cabbage flowers (I know, weird focus and motion blur....)

It came with an Adaptall 2 to Konica adapter, anyone in need of one 4 free?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Tamron 103A (80-210/4) Reply with quote

NikonD wrote:

It performs great... both @ f4 (80 and 210mm)

Wow! A Dacia! Smile

This is a great zoom lens and you're lucky to find one in such good condition. I had one for a while - it had front element separation, but still performed very well. I liked the close-up capability at 210mm. Performance is pretty good all around.

It works very well with an extension tube. This one is at 80mm f/4 with a 36mm tube.

http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=11130325

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love that Tamron prominently named their models. It seems with other manufacturers, you will see a 105mm for example. And every year, even after a different model the lens is just called the "105 f/2.8" or whatever it is. But with Tamron you have the 90mm f/2.5 52B model...a definitive design. Makes finding these things much easier!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I have made some first simple comparison shots with the Tamron 103a against the legendary Minolta AF Beercan 70-210 f/4 with an APS-C sensor.
I would say that they are very much the same in practical use regarding contrast, sharpness and build quality. Also bokeh is not that different and the Tamron colors are sligtly more casted to yellow. The Tamron seems a little bit faster on same exposure and f-stop, but has a tiny bit more PF wide open. This is a great score tor the Tamron I must say. I have tested three focal length 80. 135 ans 210mm @ f/4 f/5.6 and f/8. Both lenses have semi-macro which can come in handy when walking around.

For my needs right now I'd keep the Beercan due to prestige and AF and eventually get rid of the Tamron. The Tamron must be a gem with any live view camera since it is very neet with the combined zoom/focus ring.
If I would change system eventually, the versatile adaptall 2 Tamron would be nice to have in storage Smile