Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Zoom lenses? Soligor 75-260 tested.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:49 am    Post subject: Zoom lenses? Soligor 75-260 tested. Reply with quote

Hi,

I just got this old Soligor on eBay, it's crazy how cheap these old zooms are. I know that primes rule but a good zoom can be a useful tool when you have to carry less gear.

Here a flickr hosted test, I like it Smile Shots are at 75, 100, 150, 200 and 260mm all @f8 and iso 400 it was raining on an overcast day.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mad_sunday/sets/72157621084003724/show/

Pete

Last edited by Mad_Sunday on Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:59 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pete

Looks like a bargain of a lens to me. It works well enough an that price seems like a steal.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the strangest looking flower, what is it?
It didn't come down in a seed pod at night, from space, did it?
Seems like an excellent vfm zoom, anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Passiflora ligularis - Passion flower, delivers sweet fruit.
Origin Mexico - Colombia /Venezuela. Grown for the fruit in Australia, East Africa and Hawai. Also grown in gardens for its special flowers. It is a fast growing climber.
Sorry, not really Alien, but a nice subject to shoot as shown here.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FEED ME!!!!!

lol

Doug

Farside wrote:
That's the strangest looking flower, what is it?
It didn't come down in a seed pod at night, from space, did it?
Seems like an excellent vfm zoom, anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL yes I guess those Passion Flowers do look a little odd if you haven't seen one before. It grows quiet well in rainy England but fruits are rare.

Anyway, back to the lens........

It seems that this is a Tokina built item. They were sold as Soligor, Vivitar and Tokina 75-260's as well as other less well known suppliers. It also looks the same as the 90-220 zooms offered by the same vendors.

Here's a picture of "the beast", it's not for the shirt pocket, thats for sure!

Pete

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You paid a much better price than I paid for mine, Pete!
Mine was US $35, shipped.

Even so, it's a very nice lens with a rather impressive focal range.
Mine arrived in near-mint condition, inside & out. It's a heavy beast, made in 1967 if the inspection sticker is to be believed. But with proper care, there's no reason it can't last another 42 years. Very Happy
I have yet to give mine a decent-enough workout, but my informal first test shots provided surprisingly good results. The images were sharp, with good colors, and contrast was impressive. The integral tripod mount ring is a welcome feature, as this monster would put a lot of stress on just about any camera body.

My copy's sweetspot for clarity weighs in at around f/8, and sharpness only increases from there. It seems very soft wide open, and really isn't usable until I hit f/8, at least for close subjects. I seriously doubt a wide-open copy would be any sharper at wider apertures, but there's always a surprise to be discovered.

Here's a few more shots I took of the lens, just this evening.
It shows a UV filter over the front elements, but it is otherwise unchanged from how I received it, except for my replacing the lens cap for one which does not cover the entire outer assembly.
Also shown with a M42-to-EOS adapter attached.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may have paid less Craig but your lens looks in better condition, in fact it looks new!

Pete

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now watch the prices of these lenses climb!
Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got to sell it Sad due to getting grief from the missus about my growing collection. It's on ebay again if your interested. She has a point, I only have 1 camera and a pile of lenses.

Bummer Sad