Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Been given a Jupiter-11A - How do I get it to stop down?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:10 pm    Post subject: Been given a Jupiter-11A - How do I get it to stop down? Reply with quote

I am probably being really thick, but this lens doesn't seem to want to stop down below f/8. Am I likely doing something wrong, or is it just broken?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a pre-set aperture lens. If you wan't to pre-set a different value than f/8, push (or pull) the aperture ring and then change the value by rotation of the ring.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As No-X said, push or pull the aperture ring to turn it to a closer aperture, for instance f11. Release the ring. Then you should be able to turn the ring to f11 (but not below). Same for f16 and so on.

Preset ring is interesting : choose the aperture, for instance f8. Focus in clarity with the lens wide open, then close to the max (f8 in our case) and shoot.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there. My version is the aluminium version. It has a single manual aperture ring and it just adjusts the aperture. If my one didn't go past f8 I'd say it wasn't working properly. An example like mine....

Oh. Sorry Embarassed 11A. Wrong lens Shocked

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's a pre-set lens, and you have to pull the aperture ring Embarassed

Well, at least I won't make that mistake again Smile

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martyn: Yours is even different from mine. I wonder how many there were.

For kiebee's sake as he may not be at all familiar with these methods, there are usually two rings; the one that sets the aperture value, and the one that turns freely and actually closes the diaphragm. The design intent is to set the value with the one ring and close down to that value with the other. However, it can be used in another way depending on how you like to shoot. I like to set the value at f/16 and then turn the ring to whatever point gives the exposure I want. Since I'll have no record of aperture used, I only care as far as controlling the background blur and ensuring the shutter speed is adequate.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiebee wrote:

I did the same mistake with my first pre-set lens ! Laughing
I thought the Jupiter-9 had a problem and was stuck wide open...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martyn, looks like you have the Jupiter 11, not the Jupiter 11A. The 11A has more contrast, but doesn't look so, er, sexy Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
kiebee wrote:

I did the same mistake with my first pre-set lens ! Laughing
I thought the Jupiter-9 had a problem and was stuck wide open...

I think everybody makes that mistake. Way back when, the first time I used one I was setting the aperture ring for the shot, but not closing the pre-set down. Lost a lot of shots on that roll - it was a friend's wedding, but since they didn't stay married long, it didn't matter too much. Twisted Evil