Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

was this a bargain?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:16 pm    Post subject: was this a bargain? Reply with quote

went to a car boot sale today and got this for 6 quid

zenit et camera and leather holder = seems to be OK though i don't know how to work it properly

helios 44-2 lens = cleaned up ok and seems to work perfectly , a little oil on the diaphragm blades but they move easily and smoothly

some sort of flash i think

hannimex 35-200 f3.8-5.6= like new condition its own pouch

i dont know how much this lot is worth, but a £6 it was worth a punt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you can get for 6GBP ?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll certainly have fun with the Helios! Don't worry about oil on the blades, the lens is preset and I do wonder if it was by design...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

Er, pack of AA batteries, or two rolls of 35mm colour print film, or a snack in the pub . . .

Quite a good buy Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont forget a packet of fags and change

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bfb1150gs,

"Oil on iris blades" is something that had been made to be an issue way out of its context. An automatic lens (when mounted to a matching camera) has its iris diaphragm always open fully, and then it shuts down to the selected value just before the shutter run-down, and then opens up just after the shutter has finished its travel. If the blades are oily, diaphragm action will get slowed down to the point that it would not be stopped down to its desired value when the shutter starts running.

In the case of a lens with manual diaphragm, or a lens is used with its diaphragm operated manually, there is no difference at all. In the former case, having oil on the iris blades would not be something that would impede its functions, so the thought that "oil on iris blades is bad" just does not apply here at all.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great bargain. Lovely old flash reflector. Does it fold up like a fan? I'm afraid you may need to scour a lot more boot sales before you find the bulbs for it. It's probably a magnesium flash which burns a bulb each time.

scsambrook wrote:
Attila wrote:

Er, pack of AA batteries, or two rolls of 35mm colour print film, or a snack in the pub . . .

Without any beer?

trev wrote:
Dont forget a packet of fags and change

Our American readers may like to note that you buy "fags" 20 at a time in England, because they are cigarettes. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I used to have a flashgun exactly like that.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Helios 44-2 is a copy of the Zeiss Biotar - a very nice lens.

Do a search for images taken with this Russian gem.

Smile