Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Oppinions on Sonnar 180mm 2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:00 am    Post subject: Oppinions on Sonnar 180mm 2.8 Reply with quote

I've been contemplating getting a CZJ Sonnar 180mm 2.8 lens lately and I wanted to ask if anyone might have some recommendations on this lens with regards to CA/PF and sharpness?

I already own a Nikkor 180 *ED which I use quite a bit, but, the Zeiss glass just has this thing with OOF render that makes me happy. Though I was wondering if it would be a good candidate to use with a 1.7x TC so I could double down and use it as a 300mm lens too.

Anyone think this lens would work out okay for this or should I stick to the Nikkor?

JB

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about the Nikkor ED.
The Jena lens surely has an older optical computation, with all that it means (good and bad sides).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one and find it very good !

http://forum.mflenses.com/some-sonnar-2-8-180-shots-t28288,highlight,sonnar+180.html

Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
I have one and find it very good !

http://forum.mflenses.com/some-sonnar-2-8-180-shots-t28288,highlight,sonnar+180.html

Very Happy

That is indeed a nice copy!

BTW. I don't mind a little CA, so long as it's not the OOF registration type or... the kind that creeps everywhere in a scene.

Because we can always shoot to avoid and CA at the wider aperture end of things.

BTW. what model of 180 is that? it seems different from the others I've seen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Oppinions on Sonnar 180mm 2.8 Reply with quote

JohnBee wrote:
I've been contemplating getting a CZJ Sonnar 180mm 2.8 lens lately and I wanted to ask if anyone might have some recommendations on this lens with regards to CA/PF and sharpness?

I already own a Nikkor 180 *ED which I use quite a bit, but, the Zeiss glass just has this thing with OOF render that makes me happy.

Purple fringing is really evident wide open, disappears completely by f/4. I would imagine that mounting the Sonnar on a TC would render the lens unusable at or near f/2.8. Besides, that would be an insanely heavy combination. The Sonnar 300/4 is a much better 300mm lens than a 180+TC; the Nikkor*ED 300/4.5 is a slightly better lens yet (and much lighter to boot). The Sonnar 180/2.8 is great for portraits and as a general use 180mm from f/4, but you are probably more likely to carry the Nikkor with you because of the huge weight and size of the Sonnar.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnbee,
No-X, who sold me this lens, told that : "If you don't care about contrast, take old 180/2.8. Olympic (native M42), zebra or this model (it's sometimes called "star wars" model, but I don't know why)".

Cheers,

PS : here is a link to the Sonnar 4/300. Smile
http://forum.mflenses.com/carl-zeiss-jena-mc-sonnar-4-300-p6-t21535,highlight,sonnar+300.html