Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

New one coming soon. Vivitar Series 1 200mm f/3.0 P/K mount
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:26 pm    Post subject: New one coming soon. Vivitar Series 1 200mm f/3.0 P/K mount Reply with quote

Finally got a Vivitar Series 1 200mm f/3.0 lens. Been trying for one for several years now and wound up bidding more than I wanted to and this one has some cosmetic damage too. But at least it is a PK mount instead of a Screw Mount. No adapter needed.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120589957312&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oi, not much left of that focus grip. Shocked
The optics look great though. Hopefully it's as good as it looks.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AhamB wrote:
Oi, not much left of that focus grip. Shocked
The optics look great though. Hopefully it's as good as it looks.

Nothing a little duct tape can't fix! Great find. Can't wait to see some pics with it.

Chris W

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually the focus grip will be easy to fix, even if I have to totally replace it. Got plenty of duct tape....heck...I'm in Alabama...don't go anywhere without some....I'd get kicked out of the state if I didn't know how to use it!!! LOL

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big step forward Congrats!!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar issue with one of my lenses. The grip was split & unless firmly held would rotate on the barrel. I took a small artist brush & discretely applied a little contact cement under the exposed edges of the split. It worked perfectly. Here is the repaired grip:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read somewhere recently of using Hoover drive belts turned inside-out as new grips. It might take a few for that one.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Dawg wrote:
Actually the focus grip will be easy to fix, even if I have to totally replace it. Got plenty of duct tape....heck...I'm in Alabama...don't go anywhere without some....I'd get kicked out of the state if I didn't know how to use it!!! LOL

You sound like a British car guy. We carry duct tape for things that move, but shouldn't - and WD-40 for things that don't move, but should.

Congrats on that wonderful lens. I was tracking it just in case it went cheap; it didn't. They're still getting quite a price. I wouldn't worry about that grip unless you need to look good while you're taking pictures. I recently bought a 135mm Series 1 that looked like a wreck - missing grip and chipped paint, but optics are perfect and it functions smoothly. No one can tell what it looks like from my pictures. Hoover belts, huh? I'd like to find something suitable.

I'll be real interested to know how the lens does on your Pentax camera. I get a load of CA from the lens, but suspect some amount of it is from my Sony sensor. I don't find f/3 very useful due to the CA and ghosting around whites. The CA doesn't go away until stopped down quite far, but it's easy to get rid of in post processing and the sharpness and bokeh are well worth the trouble. Oh yeah, one other thing, it takes some practice to master the focus, but once you do, watch out squirrels!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all. I really wish I had gotten it cheaper but they just are not selling cheap anymore. The price of the 70-210 series 1 lens is holding pretty firm but the primes are increasing in price. As a result I figured they would be rising more every day and now would be the best time to buy one.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did it arrive yet?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much did you pay? Is $100 too much? There is one in FD mount sitting in the local store for $100 in great condition. I know its a great lens but I shoot nikon and am kinda tired of using all types of adapters and such for the time being. Also, after shooting the S1 135mm I just don't feel the need for this one. I actually picked up the Tamron SP 180 the other day from this shop for $125, with the nikon adaptall!

So what Im saying is, would it be beneficial for me to pick up that lens if it is still there for you, then you can just pay me the same for it, and use the grip and parts you need or just the whole lens altogether? Let me know, I don't mind doing it!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canon mounts don't sell for as much. M42 might go around $275. Dawg got the PK mount, which is desirable because it fits Pentax cameras without need for adapter.

Hey Dawg... I took this picture today with mine...

Spider is only 3/8" including legs.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justtorchit wrote:
How much did you pay? Is $100 too much? There is one in FD mount sitting in the local store for $100 in great condition. I know its a great lens but I shoot nikon and am kinda tired of using all types of adapters and such for the time being. Also, after shooting the S1 135mm I just don't feel the need for this one. I actually picked up the Tamron SP 180 the other day from this shop for $125, with the nikon adaptall!

So what Im saying is, would it be beneficial for me to pick up that lens if it is still there for you, then you can just pay me the same for it, and use the grip and parts you need or just the whole lens altogether? Let me know, I don't mind doing it!

Nothing, let it to take by someone else.

If you need a better lens in this focal length , take a Leica + Letax end and convert it to Nikon. Nikon 180mm f2.8 ED AIS also an option , but difference will be not same big than with Leica.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila: I would imagine that the Leica is much more expensive than this lens, as are most Leica, correct?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Attila: I would imagine that the Leica is much more expensive than this lens, as are most Leica, correct?

Perhaps price is double I don't know Leica prices , but some of them not too high.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
If you need a better lens in this focal length , take a Leica + Letax end and convert it to Nikon. Nikon 180mm f2.8 ED AIS also an option , but difference will be not same big than with Leica.

Actually, I have both the Leica 180/2.8 (2nd gen) and the Nikkor*ED 180/2.8. I found the Nikkor to be sharper (remember, this is the newer *ED lens), while the Leica to have smoother rendering, especially when stopped down. This is not surprising as the Leica uses exactly the same Ernostar design employed by an earlier Nikkor 180/2.8 Ai, which was much improved upon in the later *ED version. The newer Leicas are better of course, but are also priced stratospheric.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to know thanks! I had only Nikon 180mm f2.8 ED AIS, I did sell it because I did like Carl Zeiss Sonnar 180mm Contax and Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 180mm better. Now I am big fun of Konica 200mm lenses. Smile

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Nice to know thanks! I had only Nikon 180mm f2.8 ED AIS, I did sell it because I did like Carl Zeiss Sonnar 180mm Contax and Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 180mm better. Now I am big fun of Konica 200mm lenses. Smile

No doubt using film. That can get confusing at times not knowing that you're speaking only film or (possibly) 4/3 for the Konica.

I'd love to have a Sonnar 180mm or 200mm to make some direct comparisons with the Vivitar Series 1, but the Sonnars aren't cheap either. A big part of the game for me is finding value. Good divided by cheap = Value.

A couple more from the Series 1 today...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using both m4/3 and film too. I had Vivitar series 1 in past two or three times I sold them always. Good lens really , but I like others better.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Did it arrive yet?

Got it my friend. I'll post photos of it Sunday.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

justtorchit wrote:

That's alright David. This one works perfectly and I can buy the rubber grip material and replace the one on it now. 100 dollars is a cheap price for one of these. I've seen them go for over 300 dollars.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Canon mounts don't sell for as much. M42 might go around $275. Dawg got the PK mount, which is desirable because it fits Pentax cameras without need for adapter.

Hey Dawg... I took this picture today with mine...

Spider is only 3/8" including legs.

Now THAT is purty!!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I am using both m4/3 and film too. I had Vivitar series 1 in past two or three times I sold them always. Good lens really , but I like others better.

It matches up with my other series one lenses. Makes my collection closer to completion.

More Purty ones Woodrim.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Dawg wrote:
Attila wrote:

It matches up with my other series one lenses. Makes my collection closer to completion.

More Purty ones Woodrim.

Yes, I know I was happy to you when I saw it. Especially good to see a Vivitar collection in American hands, I like patriotism very much. Next targeted lenses should be Spiratone branded one. Mr. Spiro had good taste to import cheap , but good ones and marketed under Spiratone name.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Big Dawg wrote:
Attila wrote:

More Purty ones Woodrim.

Yes, I know I was happy to you when I saw it. Especially good to see a Vivitar collection in American hands, I like patriotism very much. Next targeted lenses should be Spiratone branded one. Mr. Spiro had good taste to import cheap , but good ones and marketed under Spiratone name.

Thanks Attila. But I have many Vivitars to go yet. LOL