Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Are these any good ( Leica )
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:59 pm    Post subject: Are these any good ( Leica ) Reply with quote

My cousin picked up two Leica's, a M1 and a M3 and about eight lenses form 35 mm to 200 mm. All look virtually new. Lenses feel heavy. He got the original Leica cases with them and they look new and unused as well. Zero scars or scratches.

He gave me the M1. I know nothing about the M1. Is it a good camera?

Poor light on the last two but I was in a hurry and didn't want to mess with any setup.

Last edited by Schnauzer on Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:07 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Budget level camera from M bodies, but I guess any of us happily own it.
Now hardest part coming to buy pretty expensive M lenses from Leica, Konica or Voigtlander. If I ever take any M lenses I guess that would be Konica M series.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:19 am    Post subject: Re: Are these any good ( Leica ) Reply with quote

Schnauzer wrote:

He gave me the M1. I know nothing about the M1. Is it a good camera?

Nah, it's rubbish. Send it to me and I'll save you the hassle. Smile

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had forgotten about this thread.

Thanks for the reply Attila and Dave.

The camera means nothing to me but I better keep the thing since my cousin wanted me to have it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any M-Leica is a gem.
You can use it with M39-lenses as well. All you need is an M39-M-adapter.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Any M-Leica is a gem.
You can use it with M39-lenses as well. All you need is an M39-M-adapter.

Really!!!

Now you have me interested. Sounds like it might take decent pictures.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, you only need an external rangefinder, since the cam does not have one.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The M1 is a good camera. It has no built-in rangefinder, so it's not as popular as the others in the M series. With a 35mm or wider lens, you don't really need a rangefinder: you can hyperfocal the lens or guess the focus distance (35mm and wider have great depth of field.)

Are the shutter speeds all working correctly?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have an excelent cam. Not rangefinder, yes. It's especialy made to use with wide anglke lenses, because you can take the pic using the DOF of the lens.

Yoi have a very reliable cam, made with the attention of especilized workers. It a first class, among the best cam ever made.

Take off the body cap. If the cam have the upper scew's space filled with a an L (cursive) drawn in black past, the cam had never be opened. If the letter ir R, was opened and repaired by leica's autorized technician.

This cam with a 35 mm LEICA M lens ('crons, 'milux in any version or with the 'ron 2,Cool will be one of the best friend that you can have to take wanderful pics.

In secret, I hate to you just a little bit . Laughing Laughing

Congrats !!!! Rino.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh... I forogt.

From 1/4 to 1/1000, you can use intermediate positions of the shutter speed mechanism.

Very useful and not common in mechanical shutter's speeds.

Rino.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

The758, I haven't tried it. I just wrapped it in a soft cloth and put it in a drawer with other cameras.

Rino, thanks for the valuable information.