Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Water resistant body - recommendation needed
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:43 am    Post subject: Water resistant body - recommendation needed Reply with quote

Hi friends and film lovers.
I'm looking for a (cheaper) water resistant film body. It should be able to survive moisture and salty air and (hopefully not) attacks of salty water. The less amount of electronic it has - the better. I think.

For the next week we have a hurrican warning, perhaps I can catch some new angry waves, but I would not dare to go with with my 5D and Zeiss lenses.

Thanks,
Sandy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pentax LX is a manual weather-sealed SLR that I have experience of, but I wouldn't get it really wet with salty water.
Canon 1 series also weather-sealed and some Nikon pro-models?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zenit B - I think it works better wet .. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 on the Pentax LX. But please bear in mind that there are *no* weather resistant lenses to go on that LX.

(I'm glad to own a Pentax K-7 with WR lenses which is fully weather resistant).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
Zenit B - I think it works better wet .. Smile

Smile This might be true

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With respect, the LX is a lovely professional camera, rare and expensive, and although it was designed to be weatherproof when new, I wouldn't put a lot of faith in the seals after so many years. I'd think really long and hard before I'd risk damaging it in salty sea-spray and hurricane winds.

If you want to use an SLR maybe it would be an idea to use it in a waterproof bag, with just the front lens exposed and protected with a filter. Otherwise, if an APS film camera will do the job, look out for a Minolta Vectis Weathermatic Zoom or a GX4 underwater camera. They go for just a few euros.

example: Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your ideas.
Peter, I agree, I would feel bad risking a beautiful Pentax LX on the beach.

The Zenit B might do the job, perhaps a cheap 50 or better 35mm lens, sounds reasonable. Never underestimate (working) russian devices! Laughing

Canon 1 series is still very expensive, unfortunately, but again, it's full with electronics and risky. Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Praktica 5B very trustworthy unbreakable camera + Helios 44 or Pentacon 50mm f1.8 all are dirt cheap you can bring a few ones. Olympus E-1 is weather proof and getting cheaper and cheaper.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Olympus E-1 is weather proof and getting cheaper and cheaper.

But it's pretty hard to use it with film Wink

Olympus Mju-II is also weather-resistant and gives nice images... Cheap pocketable option, but of course no SLR.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

soikka wrote:
Attila wrote:
Olympus E-1 is weather proof and getting cheaper and cheaper.

But it's pretty hard to use it with film Wink

Olympus Mju-II is also weather-resistant and gives nice images... Cheap pocketable option, but of course no SLR.

Yes, right, but this is a rare opportunity to capture big waves nice if a good digital camera also there.

Olympus Mju-II is an excellent idea, I don't think so need really SLR.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Nikon F100 has endured washing under a tap as well as raindrops and dew. It looks quite well sealed but officially it is not weather-proof. I do not hesitate using it in humid circumstances though, thanks to it surviving previous ordeal.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

soikka wrote:

Arrrr, that's it, looks very handy. I think it's a good start, nothing to fear. Zuiko 2.8/35 is promising, also ISO50-3200. And the best thing, it's a film camera!

Thanks friends! I will also give my Zenit 12 a chance. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandy
Take a Nikonos with a 2.8/35.

I'm looking for one myself. Completely waterproof and excellent IQ with slides (no comprimise).
The camera will open many possibilities. Prices seem to start around $150 and go up to $500 for a used one.
I plan to spend $250 max and surely it will pay fro itself.

I tried a Pany TS 1 P&S digital. It was fun with not bad IQ but not great either for $400.

TS1 samples

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy,
great shots!
This is one step further but great too. Perfect for pool shootings Smile
You've got mail...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a Nikonos in a shop. Amazing camera!

Andy, I could look at the panorama of your first underwater picture forever!
Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlsson,

Do like many other photographers have done, who need to operate their photo gear in wet environments:

In addition to your camera and lens, you need a stout plastic bag, preferably clear, preferably about 30cm deep or so, and a lens filter. Cut a hole in the plastic bag just a bit smaller than the size of the front element of your lens, place the camera and lens in the bag, and then locate the hole in the bag over the lens and screw the filter onto the lens, so that it includes the plastic bag in the threads. Or you can just use duct tape to seal the plastic bag to the front of the lens -- that's probably easier. But if your lens's front element rotates, you'll want to use a plastic bag that's big enough to account for the twisting that will occur.

If you use a big enough bag, you can put your hand inside of it. If not, you'll have to operate the controls from the outside, which shouldn't be all that hard to do.

Nice thing about using a plastic bag is, obviously, you don't have to buy any more gear!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually Sea&Sea made some lower cost P&S waterproof film cameras. My wife has a MX-10 with external flash for her SCUBA underwater snapshots where I've got my Nikonos V with Sea&Sea 15mm lens Wink

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't want to actually sink the camera, the cheapest way is to use clear "food plastic" and lots of tape to just cover everything. Leave the plastic under and tape over, so no glue gets to the body.

Works also if you are going to take photos on a pig farm. I've done that. Unfortunately didn't cover hood and that smelled for about two weeks.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May be you can find a Konica Mermaid for cheap. Looks like a somewhat clumsy toy. Till 5m. under water, AF P&S (Konica Big Mini) with really good 35mm 3.5 lens. Framing help for under water with it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These underwater cameras are amazing.... anyone tried them in dark/murky creek situations?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check this out:

http://www.intova.net/

Dont know about the IQ but this would suit your purpose.