Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Porst Color Reflex 1.2/55 & Super-Takumar 1.9/85
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:19 pm    Post subject: Porst Color Reflex 1.2/55 & Super-Takumar 1.9/85 Reply with quote

yesterday i fished a hidden Porst 1.2/55 in PK for 40€ at the bay and today i found a Super-Takumar 1.9/85 for 105€ at an advertisement.

i am very happy with both finds. a bit more with the second. i will post some results soon. it will probably take a little longer with the porst caus i think i have to process it a bit to avoid mirror issues with my 5D.

i am soooooooo happy! Very Happy

Last edited by supahmario on Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations! Look forward to samples.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations. The second should please for sure.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats for the big fish.
On your 5D they will shine.

Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MF-addicted wrote:
Congrats for the big fish.
On your 5D they will shine.

Very Happy

i hope they will shine with the 5D in my hands. i am still not so experienced with photography. and this cold weather makes it really hard for me to sit around with all these fine pieces of glass. i have to admit that i am not made for cold weather... ok i'll be honest... i hate it. and so i sit inside most of the time. in the news they said, that temperatures will change at middle of the week from minus to plus. but as they predicted that several times before i will not believe that until i fell it. Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats! 40e on the bay, and 1 super tak!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:

yeah... the porst was sold with camera and it was not mentioned. the seller thought he mentioned the lens, instead he mentioned the filters inscription. Laughing

+ crappy pictures = nice price

Click here to see on Ebay.de

i hope the condition of the lens isn't too bad. the camera looks not so good. but the lens was (as i hope) used with filter on it... so my only real fear is fungus.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

supahmario wrote:
poilu wrote:

yeah... the porst was sold with camera and it was not mentioned. the seller thought he mentioned the lens, instead he mentioned the filters inscription. Laughing

+ crappy pictures = nice price

Click here to see on Ebay.de

i hope the condition of the lens isn't too bad. the camera looks not so good. but the lens was (as i hope) used with filter on it... so my only real fear is fungus.

wow, what luck... Wink

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations! Porst 55/1.2 looks nice and Tak 85/1.9 is very good lens and because I don't have one I envy you! Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

today the porst arrived.
concluding:

-no scratches (filter was attached)
-focus very sticky (sounds like sand in the screw channel)
-apperture not working (or missing... hopefully not!)

so the word "bargain" becomes relative with this lens. now i have to work a bit, but this evening i will service it completely. the screw channel should be no problem, except if the sand inside has already made to much damage. the aperture could be a main problem, caus it could be simply missing. plus, i am not that experienced in fixing deeper aperture errors. whatever... i will see and let you know.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to read this.

My first thought was when I saw the auction - this is a scrap dealer.

Very clever description, unsharp pic, having no idea of everything, sold as is, low feedback etc. .... for me all typical characterisitics for "blacklegs"-

Hope you can repair the lens without going to a professional repair shop.

Wink

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

supahmario wrote:
today the porst arrived.
concluding:

-no scratches (filter was attached)
-focus very sticky (sounds like sand in the screw channel)
-apperture not working (or missing... hopefully not!)

so the word "bargain" becomes relative with this lens. now i have to work a bit, but this evening i will service it completely. the screw channel should be no problem, except if the sand inside has already made to much damage. the aperture could be a main problem, caus it could be simply missing. plus, i am not that experienced in fixing deeper aperture errors. whatever... i will see and let you know.

Bad news!!!!
I can recommend Foto-Service Olbrich, Emmerichstr. 17, 02826 Görlitz,

Sent them hundreds of lenses during the years.

Greetings
klaus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for Olbrich (but not hundreds of lenses Wink )

BTW all the Porst lenses, really all that I had so far were lacking of
- contrast
- colour
- resolution power

I hope the 1.2 will do better. But I would not throw toooo much money ...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, maybe 200++++ lenses!!! Including some of this Porst 1,2 lenses.

Klaus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats man, you got a great deal on the tak! i cant wait to see some shots w that on your 5d!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i left my office a bit earlier. it took me 3 hours to fix all problems.

focus:
the focus was so stuck that i rust dissolver and penetrating lubricant to get it loose. afterwards i had to carefully sand the screw channel to get all channels smooth. after an hour of sanding, and always trying if it's better between, it was done. now it works as it should work: smooth and consistent.

aperture:
the best news... it was not missing! it was stuck because a lot of oil on it. never seen so much oil on an aperture. exactly as henry described before. the very best was, that i couldn't only disassemble the aperture. i could reassemble it. oh, what a feeling.. that's the first time that i managed to reassemble an aperture. now it works as it should: snappy and precise.

modification for 5D:
i followed henrys hints (posted @ digicamclub) und sanded down the rear part of the bajonett, as you can see on the second pic. now it works without mirror issues on my 5D!

and here it is (pk-eos-adapter attached)...

and here a first test shot wide open (no pp)

100% crop

focussing is easier as i thought on static subjects. and also the sharpness wide open is better than i expected from such a fast porst. vignetting is very strong as expected. i will try some more this weekend!

now i am just happy. Very Happy

Last edited by supahmario on Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:26 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mflex-on wrote:
+1 for Olbrich (but not hundreds of lenses Wink )

BTW all the Porst lenses, really all that I had so far were lacking of
- contrast
- colour
- resolution power

I hope the 1.2 will do better. But I would not throw toooo much money ...

Many porst lenses were based on Tomioka designs and made by Cosina. E.g. M42 55/1.4 and MC 55/1.4. I can't say any bad word related to performance of these lenses. Many early wide-angle Porst lenses were designed by Cosina and their performance was pretty poor, but I wouldn't deprecate all Porst products...

Here is an old window test shot by Porst MC 55/1.4 M42 at f/7 (version: rubber focusing ring + blue/purple MC layers):

one more sample - contrast, saturation and color balance at default (zero levels)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohh... what a cream!

Last edited by supahmario on Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats!! I had this lens in past I did like it. Enjoy your new gem!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

thanks attila.
why did you gave it away?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how about that shot?

i call it "lighter suicides"

i wonder about the vertical stripes in the middle. is there something wrong with my camera, or is it typical @ ISO3200 ? i've seen it several times now at ISO3200.

Last edited by supahmario on Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

today my tak 1.9/85 arrived. it's in very good condition. i'll post some results soon.

now i search the original lens hood for this lens. if anyone has one laying around, let me know!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

supahmario wrote:
Attila wrote:

thanks attila.

I found Pentax 1.2 was sharper wide open and I have special feel about Konica. Two 1.2 was enough to keep. So I did bought test it and let it go after I did feel my gallery.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
supahmario wrote:
Attila wrote:

thanks attila.

I found Pentax 1.2 was sharper wide open and I have special feel about Konica. Two 1.2 was enough to keep. So I did bought test it and let it go after I did feel my gallery.

the pentax 1.2 is also in my "want-to-try-list"! i saw great results from it. in cases of sharpness wide open i am deeply impressed with the porst. i expected worse results.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

supahmario wrote:
Attila wrote:
supahmario wrote:
Attila wrote:

thanks attila.

the pentax 1.2 is also in my "want-to-try-list"! i saw great results from it. in cases of sharpness wide open i am deeply impressed with the porst. i expected worse results.

Yes, the SMC Pentax 1,2/50mm is a very good lens.. but i did sell this lens today after compairing some 1.2 Lenses like Rokkor 1.2 PG, this Pentax 1.2/50, my 2 pieces of Porst 1.2 and the converted Canon FD 1.2/55mm S.S.C.

The SMC Pentax is better in Bokeh, not as "creamy" as the Rokkor, but sharper and contrastier as the Rokkor, with good results in terms of "glowing".

But in total the Canon is my personal "winner" of this comparison.
This, because it gives more sharpness and contrast wide open and also the color saturation is better IMHO. The contrast is better also..

So i decided to give the SMC Pentax away and keep the Canon. Maybe its the wrong decision, because the Pentax has the smoother Bokeh, no Problems with Mirror Issue and its compacter then the canon.
But the Canon SSC is my favourit in all ranges outside the Bokeh - Question. And after adjusting the infinity point correct, the Canon lens is near the Pentax in "glowing" and purple fringing tendency as the SMC Pentax.. mostly better.

NO-X is right.. a member of our german forum did buy some day ago a Tomioka based Yashinon/Tominon Lens. This lens shows nearly the same behavior like the Porst 1.2.

It seemed that the lenses share the same formula.

LG
Henry