Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

How do you compare the 80-85 mm Zeisses (Plan, Panc, Son)?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:03 am    Post subject: How do you compare the 80-85 mm Zeisses (Plan, Panc, Son)? Reply with quote

I'm still trying to get a 80-85 mm lens Smile ...

I like zeiss alright but I don't know much about lenses Embarassed , so I just throw the question: how do you compare these 3?

Pancolar 80/1,8
Planar 85/1,4
Sonnar 85/2,8

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite a varied selection there! I think the biggest difficulty in making meaningful comparisons is that they provide such different trade-offs . . . lens speed / size / weight / and finally, cost. If you want to tke pictures under poor lighting, then the 85mm f2.8 is the worst choice, but if you favour light weight and small size, then it's the best.

I have no axe to grind here, as I've never used any of the lenses you ask about. But from my experience with other lenses I'd say the most important thing is to define your photographic interests and/or requirements first and then look for a suitable specification on which to base a list of comparisons.

Plenty for folks on MF Lenses with VAST experience of specific lenses Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are all excellent lenses.
And so also many other lenses in that focal lenght (Nikkor 105, Takumar 85, Summicron 90, ApoLanthar 90, Biotar 75)
It really depends on your personal taste. You can not get a clear answer of which one is better. There are so many photos published on this forum from all these lenses. Make searched, and decide for yourself which images you like better and why.
My choice is the Planar 1.4/85 and I just replied in another thread on the reason why.
This is the photo that I posted as example:

It is a good example of the reasons why I prefer this lens.
But it is my personal choice. Your mileage may vary.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But I see quite some well rounded barrel distortion Orio!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
But I see quite some well rounded barrel distortion Orio!

That's what I said to her: "You have a very nice barrel distortion, dear!" Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take one of them what you can catch first. Any of them just good choice!... and take others too Wink This was my way Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot, orio, scsambrook and atilla, for giving your time to answer my kind of dumb question.

For sure, I have to try them. - period Smile

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I advise the Sonnar as I always do. It's smaller and lighter and of course has that nice sonnar rendering.
I have both of the other lenses you list as well. Have had great success with both but my heart is still with the sonnar.
Maybe because I like to convert to B+W often. There is just something about that look.

Anyway please don't limit yourself to Zeiss. There are many great 85's out there. Buy some, try some, sell some, try some more Wink
The great thing about old lenses right now is they are generally increasing in value.
If you buy smart you will not lose any money and can gain experience of your own hand and eyes.

Sonnar 2.8/85

RF Sonnar 2/85

Pancolar 1.8/80

Planar 1.4/85

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good advices F16...

Sonnar was what i was thinking to begin with.
For price and size (trying to get a stable lens because I want to film with it, not photograph).

To see which one I really prefer, yes I'll have to get some money and try around.

Quote:
Anyway please don't limit yourself to Zeiss.

Being in Germany now makes me think about buying only German lenses, that's why I tend to forget the others...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a test video with the contax 85 1.4 wide open on the 5DII
http://forum.mflenses.com/contax-planar-801-4-t23786.html

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

from sunshines pics we can conclude that the planar makes models look older than the pancolar. Rolling Eyes

and finally the sonnar makes the model look not so lonely. Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing
Very clever Mario. Thanks Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/20102/big_271_sanjuan_valentines_day_2_2.jpg

Great 3D!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUN i really like your Pancolar 1.8/80mm portrait. Lens high on my wish list.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do these lenses compare to 80-85mm of 80-200 zeiss? I know it is bigger, heavier etc. but IQ wise is 80-200 similar to these lenses at 80-08mm range? Also color rendition etc.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least I like my 80mm f/1.8 Pancolar!

(Both wide open)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Spot, what beautiful portraits !!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does Pancolar's coating compare with T*? Are there significant difference in their resistance to flares?