Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

English rangefinder
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:52 pm    Post subject: English rangefinder Reply with quote

I just grabbed this for £51, which seems like a pretty good deal for a coupled rangefinder:

It's a late production (1949-50) version of the Ensign Commando camera, which apparently never caught the public's imagination. The vendor says there is a problem with the shutter release linkage - but he seems to say the same about most folders with a built-in wind-on lock, which makes me wonder if he just doesn't know about it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks quite nice! Hope that the camera works and you can present some samples - I believe that hardly any British made camera is still in use?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lovely looking camera I have seen a few on the bay in Australia not sure if working models though.I will be interested to see how it works.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice looking example. I have one of these, and some other English cameras... still in use!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: English rangefinder Reply with quote

PaulC wrote:
I just grabbed this for £51, which seems like a pretty good deal for a coupled rangefinder:

It's a late production (1949-50) version of the Ensign Commando camera, which apparently never caught the public's imagination. The vendor says there is a problem with the shutter release linkage - but he seems to say the same about most folders with a built-in wind-on lock, which makes me wonder if he just doesn't know about it.

They are cracking cameras and I've been dithering about getting one for the past year. One of the Mamiyas claims to be the first moving focal plane job, but I'm not so sure that the Commando didn't beat it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mamiya Six was first produced in 1940 while the Commandos weren't issued to British forces until late 1945, so Mamiya's claim looks safe. I read somewhere that the camera was a pre-war design, in which case the moving focal plane was invented twice though it seems more likely that the idea was simply pinched from the Japs.

According to my vendor, everything works except the linkage to the shutter button. It also fires from a cable release, so I should be able to produce some samples once I get my hands on it.

There's some interesting stuff about the British camera industry (RIP) here http://www.gbcameras.org.uk/ . The last manufacturers appear to have given up in the early sixties (apart from special military aero cameras produced by AIG). The UK industry seems to have been dogged by a number of problems: 1) launching new cameras that are 20 years out of date; 2) launching good cameras, like the Commando, and not being able to supply the market; 3) Ensign's Bulldog-like determination to die rather than demeaning itself by producing the inferior 35mm format that its customers preferred; 4) the sheer insanity of British designers who delivered to the disbelieving user such innovations as the camera that stabs you if you don't wind it on (Ensign) and a camera which you have to turn from one orientation to another in order to changes the shutter speed.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you get the original sales-picture feel to that photo. It is just like clipped from old Reader's Digest. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
How did you get the original sales-picture feel to that photo. It is just like clipped from old Reader's Digest. Smile

It's actually just clipped from ebay. Is it the blue paper that does it for you? I doubt if the Readers' Digest would include a Zeiss bump.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just speaking as a collector, that is a very good price for that.
Its a keeper, and will be a good investment.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Click here to see on Ebay
Here's one for a BIN of $180au...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Just speaking as a collector, that is a very good price for that.
Its a keeper, and will be a good investment.

Thanks for the info - the Australian one is asking double that price, but whether it gets it is another matter.

I particularly like the fact that it is a good quality British-made camera, since I'm from the UK.

I also picked up a 6x4.5 Nettar 515 with a lovely case from the same vendor for $45

and for just £10 ($15) a nice Nettar 517/16 with the f4.5 Novar lens

So I now have the Nettar 515, 516, 516/2, 517/16 and 518/2. But I'm still looking for the 516/16

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nettar 515: serious lust here. I got into this whole rigamarole when our photographer daughter found a 6x4.5 Franka somewhere in the house. Ever since I've thought the format is the cutest, smallest, most portable way to go - unfortunately the Franka even after cleaning is at most 'vintage marginal' in IQ.

That Nettar is ravishing.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, 645 is a great size. Unless you are a person who is good at square compositions you are likely to get just the same out of a 645 as you do out of a 6x6. Only you have to crop the 6x6 to get the conventional frame shape, so you are wasting film AND carrying 50% more camera with you.

For me, the next natural step up from 645 is not 6x6 but 6x9.

But I still love my Pentacon Six, of course, or I wouldn't be paying a small fortune to send it to be fixed in Germany.

PS: That 515 is an f6.3, so I am likely to stick to the 516, with its cracking f4.5 lens as my shooting camera of that size.