Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

The Latest: Canon IIIa
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:52 pm    Post subject: The Latest: Canon IIIa Reply with quote

I used to own a Canon IVsb, Leica-Screw Rangefinder, and wish I never would have sold it. Finally, I found a replacement -- a Canon IIIa, and what's cool about this one is the previous owner had flash sync added to it, probably not too long after he bought it. This is a one-owner camera -- I bought it from the previous owner's daughter, who was liquidating his estate.

Except for a depression in the top plate, the camera is in excellent condition. Nicer than the IVsb I used to own. Plus it comes with a very clean Canon Serenar 50mm f/1.8 and original metal cap. My experience with the Serenar 50/1.8 is that it's, well, pretty good.

I'm gonna load a roll of B&W up in it and go shoot some pics. I'll post examples once I get them developed.

Cool, huh.

Last edited by cooltouch on Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. What a beauty.

Congrats for this great find.

Wink

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Real beauty! Congrats!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful camera and great lens, in my humble opinion Canons are the most elegant rangefinders ever produced. I used to own a IIF, sold it to finance my DSLR but will probably own one again in the near future. Enjoy your find!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooooooooh Yummy Very Happy

I love these oldies.
If the serenar 1.9/50 is anything like the other later 1.8/50 you are in for a fine shooting lens.

Congrats!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys! Well, being that I don't have any B&W chemicals at this point and I have some 24-exposure rolls of Fuji Superia 400 laying around, I decided to go ahead and load up a roll of it instead. Just finished shooting it, so I'll be off to the processor soon. I'll have some pics to display by tonight.

Also, I was just assuming that this 50 Serenar was an f/1.9. Turns out it's an f/1.8. It appears that the 50/1.9 was made as a collapsible lens only. So the Serenar I used to own must have been a f/1.8 also.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful...I can never work out how they made old cameras as I just can't imagine workers with tweezers etc doing all the fiddly bits....and esp doing that all day long, for years.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
Beautiful...I can never work out how they made old cameras as I just can't imagine workers with tweezers etc doing all the fiddly bits....and esp doing that all day long, for years.

That's the biggest justification for preserving, using and enjoying these old beasts as they are a glowing testament to a standard of engineering skill and dexterity that we may never see the likes of again... Cool

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice and quite rare, too, with only 2,400 made according to this site http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/iannorris/leica_copies/leica_copies_c/canonIId1.htm

Is the flash for electronic flash or for a magnesium bulb, which has a different trigger timing?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW, WOW, WOW !!!!

Great, excelent !!

And the rigid 2/50 summicron fit in it !! Twisted Evil

Rino.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice toy indeed. Congrats.

Cheers, Marty.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulC wrote:
Very nice and quite rare, too, with only 2,400 made according to this site http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/iannorris/leica_copies/leica_copies_c/canonIId1.htm

Is the flash for electronic flash or for a magnesium bulb, which has a different trigger timing?

Hey Paul,

The above site is the same site I used to identify it. The seller said she thought it was a IIIa, but that Canon said it was a IVsb. Turns out, it's neither. The only Canon rangefinder that matched the description, features, and serial number range was the IID 1.

Wow, only 2400. Geez, a good investment, perhaps.

Regarding the flash, the panel has two connectors. The top one is for bulbs and the bottom one is for X-sync. I tried it out, and it trips my flash just fine. I have no idea what the highest sync speed is. I reckon 1/25 is safe, but it may be as high as 1/60. Guess I might have to take some test shots to find out. Hell, if I'd have been thinking, I'd have done this when I ran the roll through the camera. Oh well, next time.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob955i wrote:
Excalibur wrote:

That's the biggest justification for preserving, using and enjoying these old beasts as they are a glowing testament to a standard of engineering skill and dexterity that we may never see the likes of again... Cool

Boy howdy. I'm really fond of the old mechanical cameras. I'll never willingly sell my Canon F-1 or my Nikon F-2 for just this reason. I've owned Leica and Nikon rangefinders, and they're wonderful examples of engineering, but for some strange reason, I just like the Canon ones the best. I owned a P for a while, with the 50/1.2, and I'd like to get another one of those someday as well. But man, have their prices gone through the roof since I sold mine . . . some 18 years ago.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm disappointed. The shutter speeds appear to be accurate, and the lens seems to be of good quality, but there's just one itty bitty problem with this old camera:

Pinholes in the shutter curtain! I don't know if it's the first or second -- probably both. These old rubberized curtains get crinkly with age. My old IVsb had a crinkly shutter curtain but it didn't leak. This one -- well, I count about 10 spots.

So, dunno if it's even worth trying to repair the curtains. I should probably just replace them. Somebody's bound to still make them.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Restore it........ I think it would be worth it!
What serial number is it by the way?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mo-Fo wrote:
Restore it........ I think it would be worth it!
What serial number is it by the way?

Oh, it's not going on the shelf to look pretty. I've been researching the topic since I made my earlier post. I can probably repair the curtains and have them last for a while longer, if I'm careful. I would like to replace them, but I'm hoping to find some online info about shutter curtain replacement in these old cameras before I try.

The S/N is 868xx.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am glad it won't sit on the shelf Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Pinholes in the shutter curtain! I don't know if it's the first or second -- probably both. These old rubberized curtains get crinkly with age. My old IVsb had a crinkly shutter curtain but it didn't leak. This one -- well, I count about 10 spots.

So, dunno if it's even worth trying to repair the curtains. I should probably just replace them. Somebody's bound to still make them.

My IIF had the same problem, a CLA and curtain replacement cost me 70 euros. Prices might be different there, but it's well worth it: the feel of the camera completely changed after the CLA, the film advance and shutter button became buttery smooth.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far I've been seeing prices for a curtain replacement running twice what you paid. Maybe I ought to send it to your repairman. Cool

Film advance and shutter button actuation already feel very smooth. This camera appears to have been well taken care of. Just old is all.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
So far I've been seeing prices for a curtain replacement running twice what you paid. Maybe I ought to send it to your repairman. Cool

It might not be so absurd an idea as it seems: shipping by registered airmail should be about 25 euros both ways, so if you are unable to find a good price there, I can put you in touch with my repairman. His name is well known in many of the Italian photo/collectors forums since he's probably the best repairman in Northern Italy and used to run the Zeiss tech support here in the late '60s. The fact that his prices are very good helps too, as an example a full CLA of my Vitessa L cost me 30 euros, re-lubricating lenses and cleaning them costs me about 15 euros each, etc.

Edit: you might also ask in the Canon RF section on rangefinderforum, where the majority of readers are based in the US.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ludoo wrote:
I can put you in touch with my repairman. His name is well known in many of the Italian photo/collectors forums since he's probably the best repairman in Northern Italy and used to run the Zeiss tech support here in the late '60s. The fact that his prices are very good helps too, as an example a full CLA of my Vitessa L cost me 30 euros, re-lubricating lenses and cleaning them costs me about 15 euros each, etc.

Good grief, at that price it's hardly worthwhile dismantling my own. Please let me know how to get in touch with him, also.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside wrote:
Good grief, at that price it's hardly worthwhile dismantling my own. Please let me know how to get in touch with him, also.

I sent you a PM.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've updated this thread for the sake of accuracy, changed the subject title, and edited the first post to reflect this. I had originally reported that this Canon rangefinder was a IID 1. As it turns out, it is not. The IID 1 has a top shutter speed of 1/500, while this camera has a top speed of 1/1000. The only other Canon rangefinder that matches my camera's features and serial number is the IIIa -- somewhat more common, but still only about 9,000 were made.

I had originally thought it was not a IIIa because the above site mentioned by PaulC (which is the one I used to ID this camera) states that the IIIa has a two-piece finder magnification lever. Mine is one-piece, and so's the IID 1's. I overlooked the fact that the IID 1 has the 1/500 top speed, however.

Today, upon doing a bit more searching, I came across Pacific Rim Camera's site, where they give a better description. According to them, one of the things that differentiates the III from the IIIa is that the IIIa has a one-piece finder magnification lever.

So, it appears that the original owner was correct all along. Whatever model it is, though, I don't care all that much about. What I mostly care about is it has all the features I want in an early Canon rf camera, so I'm happy.

This is such a cool little camera. I love its solid feel and heft. I'll bet it weighs more than twice what my DSLR does.

After doing some inquiries, I've learned that most folks don't hassle with replacing these old cameras' shutter curtains when they develop pinholes. Instead, they use some stuff called Plasti Dip, which is available in cans (for dipping) or spray cans. It is a flexible rubber coating, most often used as insulation in electrical uses.

I decided to buy the spray in black. What you do is spray the stuff into a disposable container until you have a small pool of it, then with a small artist's paintbrush, you apply thin coats to the problem areas of the shutter. What these guys do is apply a thin coat to the 1st shutter, let the camera sit for a day, then apply another coat thin coat to the 2nd shutter.

So, I'll try this as well. I got the spray -- just need to scrounge up a decent brush to use. Time to put this camera back into service.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hope everything goes well ...