Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Well I took your advice -- sort of: Bronica ETRSi
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:47 am    Post subject: Well I took your advice -- sort of: Bronica ETRSi Reply with quote

I just won this:

Click here to see on Ebay

Just this past Sunday, I was asking members about medium format preferences for somebody on a tight budget. Y'all had some good recommendations. And in a separate thread, PaulC showed us this Pentax 645 he picked up for a great price. I was still leaning toward a square-format camera, but I was starting to pay attention to your comments about 645. However, later that same day I bid on and won a Yashica Mat 124. This is a great camera and I'm looking forward to using it. Hasn't arrived yet; I'm hoping it will by tomorrow or so.

After reading members comments (especially PaulC's), I checked out the Pentax 645s and found one possibility that's still several days away. Then I checked out the Mamiya 645s, and couldn't find any deals on them. And then I checked out the Bronica ETRs. Found the above camera, and put it in my watch list about the same time as I put the Yashica in the list. I figured if I got outbid on the Yashica, I'd set my sights on this ETRSi outfit.

Well, as it turns out I got the Mat for quite a bit less than I was expecting to have to pay, and had some funds left over. So I figured what the hey? All I could do was get outbid on the ETRSi outfit. But I didn't. Razz Smile Very Happy Laughing Cool

So I've gone from having no MF cameras to having two within the space of a week. And I still have a few days left Cool

Oh, and I believe, all things considered, the deal I got on this outfit is perhaps as good as the deal Paul got on his. True the Pentax 645 has a meter and a winder. But this camera comes with two backs and a leaf-shutter lens.

Just earlier today I was checking out prices on ETR stuff at KEH, and the closest I could have gotten to this outfit there would have cost me over $100 more.

So, yeah, I am pretty stoked I was able to pick up a nice MF outfit for less than $150 shipped to my door. And I guess I'm still a little surprised that I've wound up with two MF cameras for about what I budgeted for one. Now I gotta go buy some film . . .

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats...now what are you going to buy with the left over change from both the MF cameras.... Rolling Eyes Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, Michael, looking forward to some pics. Cool

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mo-Fo wrote:
Congrats...now what are you going to buy with the left over change from both the MF cameras.... Rolling Eyes Laughing

Well, there ain't much left over. Christmas presents? Naw . . . film, of course Cool

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
Congrats, Michael, looking forward to some pics. Cool

Me too. I have one roll of Vericolor 220 in the freezer that probably expired over 15 years ago (it's been in the freezer longer than that). So I'll start with it. Who knows? Maybe it will even still be good. Cool

I've been checking on film prices at Freestyle and their prices are really good for Fujichrome, plus they have a variety of cheap B&W (including Foma), so I'll probably load up on some chrome and B&W -- and some B&W chemicals too. And unless I can find some reasonable deals on E-6 processing, I'll be loading up on E-6 chemicals too. I've done my own slide developing before and it isn't that difficult. The main thing is keeping the temperature constant.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely it will be good! Congrats!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow what a bargain....I would use my medium format gear more if I could find a cheap and easy way are getting the colour negs developed, don't fancy doing it all my self again.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woah, nice! You must have a bigger camera room than me Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Michael,

welcome to the club of medium format users !!!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! What a bargain!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice bit of kit, Michael. Bargainaceous!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
Wow what a bargain....I would use my medium format gear more if I could find a cheap and easy way are getting the colour negs developed, don't fancy doing it all my self again.

Hey Excalibur, your comment got me curious so I did a bit of googling. Found these guys:

http://www.genesis-digital.net/c41-film-processing.html

Their 120 C-41 prices seem pretty reasonable to me.

Thanks for all the comments, folks. I'm pretty stoked.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Excalibur wrote:

Hey Excalibur, your comment got me curious so I did a bit of googling. Found these guys:

http://www.genesis-digital.net/c41-film-processing.html

Their 120 C-41 prices seem pretty reasonable to me.

Thanks for all the comments, folks. I'm pretty stoked.

Thanks but too dear for me @ £5.30 for dev, I'm only an amateur.........you get 15 shots with the etrs and 10 with the RB67, and for me I might have 1 or 2 shots that are any good so with the cost of film plus postage or petrol that's gonna work out about £4 a frame.
I can get 36-35mm shots developed at the supermarket for 99p and they do them in 45mins while you shop if they are not too busy.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I can understand this. Even with MF I prefer shooting slides over color negatives, and I haven't been able to find any place yet that will do E-6 processing of 120 that I consider affordable. So I will most likely just bite the bullet and develop my own. I've done it before and it wasn't all that big of a hassle -- the main thing was just keeping the temperature stable. Other than that, it wasn't all that much different from developing B&W. And when buying the E-6 chems in quantity, the savings can become very significant.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats from me too! Smile
I have the sama camera, and i love it! I won it on ebay for 400$ and it was almost new, sterile Smile
Cheers!! Smile

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats!

And have fun getting the "necessary" lenses.
Make SURE you go for the PE-models for the 40mm or 50mm lens, or the 150mm the MC version will do fine (and save you 100 bucks ...), same for the 250mm.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been reading up on this some. Bronica made E, E-II and PE lenses for the ETR series cameras. The lenses labeled "MC" are earlier E lenses. The "MC" designation was dropped later by the mid-80s when it was widely understood that all modern optics had multicoating. cf:

http://www.tamron.com/bronica/etr_guide.asp

Apparently a number of the PE lenses were redesigned and thus preferable to the older ones. So I plan to add PE lenses as I can afford it. However, if I run into great deals on older ones, I reckon I might be tempted.

Eventually I'd like to add a decent wide angle and a medium telephoto, thus probably a 40mm and a 150mm or so. The 40mm looks to be a pretty rare item, though, so I might just have to make do with a 50mm.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 40mm is indeed rare, with some luck you could get the 50mm PE around $220.
Again, for the 150mm there is no difference in quality between the MC and PE version so I would advise you to save some bucks there going with the MC ...
This could be a 150mm bargain ($80, very good): Click here to see on Ebay
And this could be an even bigger 150mm bargain ($40!):

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cobalt60 wrote:
The 40mm is indeed rare, with some luck you could get the 50mm PE around $220.
Again, for the 150mm there is no difference in quality between the MC and PE version so I would advise you to save some bucks there going with the MC ...
This could be a 150mm bargain ($80, very good): Click here to see on Ebay
And this could be an even bigger 150mm bargain ($40!):

Heh. I have both in my watch list Cool

Perhaps the cheaper one will still be there when the camera arrives, which will probably be later this week. I don't want to buy anything for it until I've had a chance to inspect it for problems, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's one of the rare 40mm PE beast at a beasty price ... Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that guy's prices are always high.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get an E-14 extension tube to go with that 150mm if you like tight portraits as the lens focuses "only" to about 1.5 meters.

If you like close-ups then the normal lens goes quite a bit closer than the Yashica-Mat (~0.6m vs. 1m), add an extension tube to that and you have quite a photographic tool Smile

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Scoo. Those sound like very worthwhile tips.

Did Bronica -- or somebody else -- ever make reversing rings, I wonder?

The 50mm reversed would probably be a good item for macro work as well. If the iris operates manually, that is.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:

Did Bronica -- or somebody else -- ever make reversing rings, I wonder?

The 50mm reversed would probably be a good item for macro work as well. If the iris operates manually, that is.

Well it's not in my old Bronica brochure.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Iris probably won't be the main problem ... the shutter will be Smile.