Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

If you have an inferiority complex...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:16 am    Post subject: If you have an inferiority complex... Reply with quote

...then buying the 5200mm f/14 Canon lens is surely a good solution! Laughing

Click here to see on Ebay

Last edited by Spotmatic on Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:05 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately the Sherpa´s for moving this lens from one point to another are not included in this price

Wink

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the offer spot
maybe a perfect walkaround lens for martinsmith99 but personally I prefer pancake style

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With one of those I'd be able to take pics of those birds in Big Dawg's yard from here in Oz.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolf wrote:
Unfortunately the Sherpa´s for moving this lens from one point to another are not included in this price

Laughing

poilu wrote:
thanks for the offer spot
maybe a perfect walkaround lens for martinsmith99 but personally I prefer pancake style

Laughing Laughing

xjjohnno wrote:
With one of those I'd be able to take pics of those birds in Big Dawg's yard from here in Oz.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheap at $45000!

the Canon 1200/5.6L is $75000 I believe. It does have auto-focus though..

Although for something that size.. 5200mm f14 is 370mm diameter.. that is really a telescope, not a camera lens. And there are lots of people making great telescopes, like this one:

http://www.optcorp.com/product.aspx?pid=1-600-605-870-7099

3572mm, f/11.9, $15000 new. 60 lb.

Incidentally there's some relationship between Takahashi and Canon so the Canon monster could have been made by Tak anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello!

Thanks for the information: I have just entrusted four, since I always take photos in BW, color, slides and digital and I do not like changing lenses, although into this case the camera changes, not the lens.

I already have the money to pay: I show them a photo.
Razz

Bests Regards. David.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Petzval 1840 wrote:

Hey, David! Where did you get the photo of my office from? Laughing

I do not have an inferiority complex, I drive a Chevy SUV. Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A question: does auto focus here mean that it needs an automobile to be focused? Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
A question: does auto focus here mean that it needs an automobile to be focused? Laughing

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Yes, a very fast one. USM here is SSM (=super sonic motor). Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I left the "mine is bigger" stage long ago - kindergarden if I remember correctly... Wink Wink

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
I left the "mine is bigger" stage long ago - kindergarden if I remember correctly... Wink Wink

Are you really sure, Klaus?
Not even sometimes? Wink

Ah, no, you are still in the "mine gets closer" stage, right? (Kidding... Wink)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question is, do I really need a second one of these?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave_t wrote:
The question is, do I really need a second one of these?

Hell yes! With two of these you can create realtime stereoscopic images of surface of the moon. Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't even need all that money - just some handy DIY skills Laughing

Regards

Angus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not so surprised that last year's sale fell through, as the shipping charges must add half the price of the lens again! Shocked

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember seeing this behemoth last year. 5150mm f/14 translates into a 368mm (~14.5") objective, or mirror size.

This lens is not, and was never intended to be, a telescope. The original rig it sat atop was clearly not designed for pointing the lens very far away from the horizon. Makes me wonder what its purpose was. At sea level, the horizon is "only" 6 miles (10 km) away, and there are a lot of much cheaper objectives that can image detail at 6 miles. Both Celestron and Meade make a 14" folded cat telescope. The Celestron's is a 14" (355mm) f/11, with a focal length of 3910mm, whereas the Meade is a 14" (356mm) f/10, wth a focal length of 3560mm. Meade also makes a 16" (406.4mm) f/10, with a focal length of 4064mm. Imagine any of these with a 1.4x or a 2x teleconverter. The 14" Celestron and Meade scopes sell new for under $10kUS, while the Meade 16" sells for about $14kUS.

Me, if I had those sorts of funds at my disposal, I'd go for the big Meade light bucket over the Canon. Although one cannot underestimate the collectible value of that big Canon.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:

Me, if I had those sorts of funds at my disposal, I'd go for the big Meade light bucket over the Canon.

Me, drooling for a Takahashi or Questar.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Petzval 1840 wrote:

Hey, David! Where did you get the photo of my office from? Laughing

I do not have an inferiority complex, I drive a Chevy SUV. Laughing Laughing

There was a suspicion, but now I'm sure : German teachers have a better wage then French teachers.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm holding out for the IS version.

The Canon 1200mm is on B&H website in the used dept for $120000. Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himself wrote:
cooltouch wrote:

Me, if I had those sorts of funds at my disposal, I'd go for the big Meade light bucket over the Canon.

Me, drooling for a Takahashi or Questar.

Both outstanding choices. But for sheer light-gathering ability the big Meade is really hard to beat.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBaker wrote:
I'm holding out for the IS version.

Laughing Laughing Razz Cool

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Takahashi Mewlon 300 is a good alternative to the big Meade.. somewhat more expensive ($15K for 300mm which is 12") but I believe it's better corrected for photography (less coma, flatter field) than a Cat.