Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

[AF] Morus bassanus with oil rig North Atlantic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject: [AF] Morus bassanus with oil rig North Atlantic Reply with quote

Hi,

shot this images last year at the Noth Atlantic Sea with 1DSmKIII and 300L.

Not sure to get such a result with one of my MF lenses Sad

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great shot, Rolf.

(However, on the monitor (here at work) it looks very pixely and harsh. I see a lot of JPG artefacts too around the bird. Not really possible to judge a lens' result).

Cheers
Tobias

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tobias,

is this one better ? Same series, same cam, same lens but only pp with CS3.
First one was mix between Cs3 and Canon DPP

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're beautiful, Rolf !

The second one also has jpeg artefacts (circular).
Maybe you should have best results with just DPP ?

Everything's under control ? Wink

[edit] : when I click on the above image, it "opens" in the window and quality is better.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Olivier, thank you - yes everything is ok !!

Saw this effect several times here - maybe it is more a question of forum software. Originals were shot in raw, converted with CS3, well known sharpening and framing tool, no crop, size reduction.

The cam has 21 MP and the lens is one of the best Canon offers.
Wink

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh. My monitor shows no trace of jpg artifacts -- but it's 1680x1050, so maybe this is why?

Rolf, I'm wondering what compression level you used for your jpgs? Maybe it's set too high, hence the artifacts?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Rolf, second one is perfect, the artefacts are gone in full-sice.

Cheers
Tobias

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Micheal & Tobias,

thanks for your feedback. I didn´t use any special compression level for jpg. It is all standard. At the moment I use Cs3 on my Mac. Sometimes I use cams ACR for this version didn´t know (the well known problem with *dobe).

Then I have to move to another raw converter, for Canon normally DPP, for others sometimes DXO, Raw Therapee or something else.

If the raw is converted I work only (for this forum) with CS3 and the framing tools and at the end the resize and a minimal sharpening with DPP.

Do you have other experiences with maybe better results ? If you like we can move this thread to the respective section within the forum.

BTW I use a larger IMAC with 1920 x 1200