Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

tessar ? sonnar ? planar ? Differences ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject: tessar ? sonnar ? planar ? Differences ? Reply with quote

I read some threads in some forums (here most often), and sublies run the question of the characters of the differents designs

Thus if you are looking for a 135 mm lens. What shall you find in the tessar (eg. 4/135 for rollei), sonnar (eg. 2,8/135 for c/y) or planar (eg. 2/135 for c/y)?

What about the wide open best, the more contrast, the more sharp at wide open and at F/ 5,6 or 8. Which is better and at which aperture?

I think that it's an usefull date to buy the lens that we are looking for, and here are a lot of member that have the lenses and can know that information.

Rino.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tessar (or better said tele-tessar if we are talking of tele lenses) design are rather slow lenses, they provide sharp images when stopped down and a good bokeh.

Sonnar design lenses are faster than Tele-tessar, they provide very smooth bokeh and are usually sharper than Tele-Tessar wide open

Planar design lenses are the fastest, sharp wide open, they provide the best microcontrast and 3D, their bokeh can be "busy" especially with the highlights.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tessar = 4 lenses, very sharp in the centre but not very fast.
Sonnar = faster than a Tessar design, only 6 reflective surfaces.
Planar = Double-Gauss type, an even faster design, but many reflective surfaces, so it needs excellent coating.

EDIT: Oops, Orio was faster.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: tessar ? sonnar ? planar ? Differences ? Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:
I read some threads in some forums (here most often), and sublies run the question of the characters of the differents designs

Thus if you are looking for a 135 mm lens. What shall you find in the tessar (eg. 4/135 for rollei), sonnar (eg. 2,8/135 for c/y) or planar (eg. 2/135 for c/y)?

What about the wide open best, the more contrast, the more sharp at wide open and at F/ 5,6 or 8. Which is better and at which aperture?

I think that it's an usefull date to buy the lens that we are looking for, and here are a lot of member that have the lenses and can know that information.

There's many litterature on the web. For example, you might want to check:

Frank Mechelhoff's webpage about Planar vs. Sonnar

Rick Denney's bokeh test

Dominique Guebey's page about fast lenses (extremely interesting, but in French Wink)

Last but not least, the good old Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeiss_Planar
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeiss_Sonnar
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tessar

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Orio and Carsen.

Another difference, the tele-tessar seems to have (for me) less CA or images very corrected in the PP Laughing

At f/ 5,6 to 11 the sonnar lenses have the same (or near) sharpness than the planar. I read it too.

Rino.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:

Another difference, the tele-tessar seems to have (for me) less CA or images very corrected in the PP Laughing

answer is: very corrected in PP Laughing
CA in long non-apo tessar teles can be awful. I returned my Tele-Tessar 300mm right because of that.

What I am going to say it's a generalization, and probably also a banalization, but it contains a bit of truth: one of the main reasons why lens designers put more glass elements in lenses, is to correct aberrations and other optical problems.
So you can say that, as a broad rough statement, a lens with few glass elements is a lens with a higher risk of non corrected aberrations compared to a lens with more glass elements.
Tessar scheme only has 4 glass elements (which become 5 or 6 in tele-tessar), this means it has higher risk of aberrations.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope to see the differences with my own eyes soon. I'm in the process of buying a Takumar 58mm f/2 (yes, the one and only 35mm SLR Sonnar standard lens) and will compare it with the later 55mm Takumars of the same speed (but of Double-Gauss type).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
I'm in the process of buying a Takumar 58mm f/2 (yes, the one and only 35mm SLR Sonnar standard lens)

Shocked

Wie dann was denn wo denn? That sounds very interesting ...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mflex-on wrote:
Spotmatic wrote:
I'm in the process of buying a Takumar 58mm f/2 (yes, the one and only 35mm SLR Sonnar standard lens)

Shocked

Wie dann was denn wo denn? That sounds very interesting ...

What sounds interesting? That I'm buying it or that it is of the Sonnar type?

Nice lens though... Pictures of Frank Mechelhoff:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:

both..
but specially that you FOUND one, buy one!
CONGRATS Peter!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
Spotmatic wrote:

both..
CONGRATS Peter!

Thanks! And no wonder, just like you I like the early Takumars. I cannot wait to try it out.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
kuuan wrote:
Spotmatic wrote:

both..
CONGRATS Peter!

Thanks! And no wonder, just like you I like the early Takumars. I cannot wait to try it out.

Well, with this nick you'd better love them, "Takuman". Wink

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: tessar ? sonnar ? planar ? Differences ? Reply with quote

Abbazz wrote:
estudleon wrote:

There's many litterature on the web. For example, you might want to check:

Frank Mechelhoff's webpage about Planar vs. Sonnar

Rick Denney's bokeh test

Dominique Guebey's page about fast lenses (extremely interesting, but in French Wink)

Last but not least, the good old Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeiss_Planar
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeiss_Sonnar
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tessar

Cheers!

Abbazz

Thanks Abbaz, I will read them today more latter.

Rino.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
estudleon wrote:

answer is: very corrected in PP Laughing
CA in long non-apo tessar teles can be awful. I returned my Tele-Tessar 300mm right because of that.

What I am going to say it's a generalization, and probably also a banalization, but it contains a bit of truth: one of the main reasons why lens designers put more glass elements in lenses, is to correct aberrations and other optical problems.
So you can say that, as a broad rough statement, a lens with few glass elements is a lens with a higher risk of non corrected aberrations compared to a lens with more glass elements.
Tessar scheme only has 4 glass elements (which become 5 or 6 in tele-tessar), this means it has higher risk of aberrations.

All generalization has it own risk. I agree with you. It's what I had ever known. But there are in the net a lot of images taken with lenses and I know they aren't so good, and then I'm a bit confused (all that I knew is wrong? Did I use bad some lenses ?). And with some answers (like yours) I return to the reality.

Thanks. Rino.