Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Dirt or scratch? can it be removed from lens?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:22 am    Post subject: Dirt or scratch? can it be removed from lens? Reply with quote

Hi
I bought this OM komura lens,it was sold as had 2 scratches but when I look at it it looks more like something trapped.It was a cheap lens.can it be saved...it is right in the middle of the focal point Confused

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fill the scratch with black ink from a felt tip pen. It will stop light scattering from the scratch and you won't even know it's there.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do I get to it as it looks internal?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd have to remove the front element, in that case. Try it out before doing anything, many front element scratches don't show up at all.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you,I have not opened a lens yet so I will see what happens on the film. Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If on an internal surface, I would suspect it's a foreign object, which somehow made its way to the glass.

I'd do as Dave suggests, and try using the lens first.
If no ill effects, then enjoy.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're worried about the effect on performance of such a tiny little mark, have a look at this for reassurance :-

http://www.certo6.com/gallery/planar.html

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Shocked You are kidding!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those scratches not impact picture quality. I have several lens with huge scratches only impact selling price nothing else. People are silly they always want MINT lenses even if well used copy same or many times better.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, also check this out.

I just got an Nikkor Micro 55/2.8 for about 100EUR which was near perfect, but with a miniscule hairline scratch on the rear element that you can see only by looking at it in the right angle. Rear element damage is usually worse than front element damage, but at least I can't see any loss in IQ.

I'm with Attila here - it's silly how people panic and go crazy over really minor damage. It affects the resale value, but if you sell it to a good home, ie. to someone who's knows what the lens can do and what it's worth, you can still get a good price for it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for me it doesn't look like a scratch! and even it would be one, i am with the previous speakers. such a tiny scratch has no impact on IQ. you will find no human eye that detects a scratch of that size (or even bigger ones) in the final image.

so, be happy about your purchase and have fun using it!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that looks like some sort of foreign object inside the lens. Is the second object shown in the photo a shadow or reflection?

+2 or 3 or whatever about scratches. I own a Nikkor 28mm f/2.8 that would have a low value because of a couple of scratches on the front element. But they make absolutely no difference in the photos. Years ago, I bought a Nikkor 180mm f/2.8 ED that actually had a chip out of the front element. Got it for a great price as a result. That lens was one of the sharpest, contrastiest lenses I've ever owned.

If it's really bugging you, dismantle the lens and remove it. Otherwise, fuggedaboudit!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2nd object is the shadow,and yes I am not worried after seeing what some "scratches" look like.Although I still think it's an object Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mo-Fo wrote:
2nd object is the shadow,and yes I am not worried after seeing what some "scratches" look like.Although I still think it's an object Rolling Eyes

Yes, it is an Object. Part of the lacquer layer in black, which acts as a
absorber in the inner layer between the glasses. Not more.
Dont worry about..

Here is a pic, which shows a more bad situation on a 2/35mm Leica Summicron.. cause of the existing fungus. But you can see nearly the same object. Was a part of the lacquer layer. Looks like yours.
Did clean the Summicron and remove the fungus as well as the object.

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERE is another example of how much a front element can be
buggered and still produce decent results.