Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Starting lens repairs: how to
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:58 pm    Post subject: Starting lens repairs: how to Reply with quote

As the winter is coming up, I think the best way to spend the long cold evenings with some lens repairs.

What (specialized) tools do you need for this? I've read about
- spanner wrench
- rubber name plate removers
- lens suction cups

Something else?
Which ones can I buy here on the forum?
Are there general rules to follow which are more or less the same for all lenses or not?
I really would like to repair (or have repaired) a Takumar 150/4.0 (fungus), Yashica ML 135 (fungus), Kiron 28/2.8 (aperture stuck), Zeiss Tele Tessar 135/4.0 (aperture stuck)
Anyone experience with one of these?
Thanks,
Filip

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't used any of the special tools you listed; for a spanner wrench I use a calliper measure and makeshift tools for rubber plate removers. Suction cups I've never felt the need for.

However, one very, very important thing to have is a set of high quality screwdrivers. Poor quality screwdrivers work up to a point, but they can also break the tiny, old screws, and it may be impossible to get some of the glued screws open unless you have the proper size of screwdriver and the capability to apply enough pressure.

Some general tips:

- work on a soft surface; sometimes little parts (especially ball-bearings) fall out and you don't want them to roll away

- sometimes you have to disassemble more before you can reassemble

- if some step seems to require impossible amounts of skill or dexterity, it's probably not the right thing to do—there must be some trick how the assembly workers could put the lens together; it's highly unlikely that they all had superhuman dexterity

- take pictures as you go along, e.g. with a point and shoot digital

- if something comes off, mark the position (e.g. take a picture if possible, otherwise draw a line with a pencil or put some sticky tape on)—many pieces look rotationally symmetric but aren't

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Arkku for the tips.
I have found a topic where I got redirected to the instructions how you changed the mount of a Minolta. I only took a quick look, but undoubtedly will frequent the pages some more times.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Don't forget a pair of gloves, some pliers with small heads (typically you can find them in a model shop), some small boxes (eventually with a cap) for the screws and the ball bearings, some microfiber cloths, to store the elements of the lens (just in case, if you cannot finish the same day).

Moreover, i would also add some white lithium grease, for lubricating the focusing barrel (if required), some Zippo fluid (great for removing excess of grease and finger traces), some Cold Cream, for removing eventual fungus molds, some Q-tips, to clean sticky diaphragm blades ...

And i'm pretty sure i'm still forgetting something ...

Best wishes for your cold evenings activities ...

Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a magnifying glass isn't a bad idea either, even if you have perfect eyesight. lots of light and a magnifyer will help you look for tiny parts and possibly better determine the exact location of the problem, without having to push your eye into the lens Wink

ie. something like this:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arkku wrote:

- if some step seems to require impossible amounts of skill or dexterity, it's probably not the right thing to do—there must be some trick how the assembly workers could put the lens together; it's highly unlikely that they all had superhuman dexterity

I have also figured that out. However, at the moment I've not managed to figure out what the trick is with CZJ 180 and 300 aperture construction. A long time ago I managed to rebuilt the aperture mechanism of 300 about once in hour (many failures and one success in that time). With 180 I had to give up yesterday as I could not rebuild it once after several hours of trying.

Any ideas on what the trick might be?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

indianadinos wrote:
Don't forget a pair of gloves, some pliers with small heads (typically you can find them in a model shop), some small boxes (eventually with a cap) for the screws and the ball bearings, some microfiber cloths, to store the elements of the lens (just in case, if you cannot finish the same day).

For those "small boxes," I've often used empty 35mm film canisters. I like the translucent ones because I can see what's inside of them easier.

+1 to a good selection of good quality screwdrivers.

Also the tweezers that taper to a needle point I've found to be indispensable. Great for holding those really tiny grub screws.

I've run into a situation on one lens where I needed two different sizes of very small allen wrenches to loosen some tiny allen screws before I could disassemble it.

It's quite common to break the tip of a very small screwdriver. Rather than toss it, I will grind it down until it's a flat blade again. The result usually won't be quite as narrow, but will still work for less narrow applications. A sharpening stone can be used for the grinding.

In my toolkit, I have a small set of stubby needle-nose pliers where I ground down the tips into posts with a narrow enough diameter where they would fit into the double round holes often found on various items like the cap securing the film wind lever. Often more convenient than spanners, and they work just as well.

A tip I picked up from a guy who had been repairing cameras for many years -- he kept a large magnet tied to a string by his work bench. If something tiny managed to fall off his bench onto the floor, he'd get out the magnet and drag it around the place to find the escapee. I have found that it's a good idea to have carpet both on and under my bench. Carpet on the bench makes it less likely that a small part will bounce or roll off, but if it does and hits the carpet instead of a hard floor, it won't bounce or roll off into a corner of an alternate universe, never to be seen again in this space-time continuum.

I have noticed in recent years that there are available many repair manuals for sale on eBay (and perhaps online as pdf's somewhere?), which might be worth the investment. I haven't purchased any yet. But that day will likely come when I'll invest in one or more.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anu wrote:

I have also figured that out. However, at the moment I've not managed to figure out what the trick is with CZJ 180 and 300 aperture construction. A long time ago I managed to rebuilt the aperture mechanism of 300 about once in hour (many failures and one success in that time). With 180 I had to give up yesterday as I could not rebuild it once after several hours of trying.

Unfortunately no. In fact I make it a point not to disassemble apertures unless absolutely necessary, after spending four hours reassembling a 16-blade aperture in an old Compur shutter. But one possibility is that the aperture blades need to be assembled in a certain position, e.g. open, closed, half-way in between, …

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arkku wrote:
Anu wrote:

Unfortunately no. In fact I make it a point not to disassemble apertures unless absolutely necessary, after spending four hours reassembling a 16-blade aperture in an old Compur shutter. But one possibility is that the aperture blades need to be assembled in a certain position, e.g. open, closed, half-way in between, …

I agree - unfortunately the 300 had a self-dissassembled aperture blade mess and the 180 decided to disassemble it's blades too when I tried to remove the whole aperture "cup". Well, I'll reserve a few hours one of these days to try to fix it...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The factory assemblers probably had a jig to do it with. I don't mean a dance. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can buy all tools what you need from me in my Ebay shop or directly from our members hk300. I did start to fix lenses without special tools. It was inconvenience and I did scratch elements. Right after I bought cheap spanner wrench result wasn't much better. Need to get right tools for quality works like at every area of life.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best workbench for the job is those plastic cat litter trays, not worries about loosing all those tiny screws and a soft surface that won't scratch the glass.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The best workbench for the job is those plastic cat litter trays

Won't you have to fight the cats from it???? Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all of you for your replies.
Are there any websites you think of to visit before repairing (or in my case most often "ruin") lenses?

I'll send a PM to HK300.

Maybe an idea to make a sticky with all things for sale directly for members, instead of looking them up in several topics?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have sticky thread already.

http://forum.mflenses.com/mflenses-tools-on-sale-t13186.html

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
We have sticky thread already.

http://forum.mflenses.com/mflenses-tools-on-sale-t13186.html

Attila,
I saw that one, but there are some posts in it with questions, feedback and so on.
My suggestion was about just a sticky, with one post, naming the different items along with their prices.
That's all.

In fact, based on the sticky you mentioned, I posted my question about things I need to start repairing lenses.

Filip