Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

My New Tool Arrived Today
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:37 pm    Post subject: My New Tool Arrived Today Reply with quote

And what a cool tool it is!

The camera, not the lens. The lens I bought last week Cool

Years ago, I was a hard-core F-1 shooter. The Original one -- not the New one, although there's nothing wrong with the New F-1, far as that goes. I just loved the F-1s I owned, but sold them when I decided that I needed to change systems. I'm not really sorry I changed systems, but I always missed those F-1s. And so finally, I did something about that. While not one of the cleanest F-1s I've ever seen, it's cleaner than about 95% of them. Everything seems to work perfectly.

Gotta run. I need to go run some film through this baby while I can still buy film

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! I look forward your result at Galleries.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicely used looking, as if it's been earning its keep. I always fancied one of them, back in the day.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is not a tool. A tool is a wrench, a screwdriver, a hammer, etc. What you have there is a CAMERA. Let's say it together class...C A M E R A.Very Happy.Very Happy.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a gem in SLR era. Congrats.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, classical design and control layout. User interface can't really get better than simple is great -thinking.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful....but I find my mint T90 I use less because I don't want to shove it in a back pack with other gear (when cycling) and scratch it, or take it on a sandy beach and so on.
If the F1 can use the 300TL it can take the hassle out of balancing ambient and flash light esp with portraiture, which I mainly use my T90 for.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
Beautiful....but I find my mint T90 I use less because I don't want to shove it in a back pack with other gear (when cycling) and scratch it, or take it on a sandy beach and so on.
If the F1 can use the 300TL it can take the hassle out of balancing ambient and flash light esp with portraiture, which I mainly use my T90 for.

Well you gotta stay within your comfort level. Back in the day, I took my old F-1s to the beach all the time. Never missed a lick.

The old F-1 has zero flash automation. A 300TL would be wasted on it pretty much. I used a Vivitar 285 mostly, later a Metz 60-CT1. Both flashes have built-in automation that was good enough such that I usually didn't feel the need. If I was doing macro work that required flash, then I had to do the calcs, but more often, I just bracketed.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Michael,

congrats and welcome back to the club

http://www.foto-bochum.net/Historical-Equipment/Camera-CANON-F-1-new/8057726_dmznF#524909155_65zhx

Wink

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"While not one of the cleanest F-1s I've ever seen, it's cleaner than about 95% of them."

Michael, compared to mine, it's like new !

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

***Well you gotta stay within your comfort level. Back in the day, I took my old F-1s to the beach all the time. Never missed a lick. ***

Well today just bought a Minolta SR101b with 58mm f1.4 pf rokkor lens for £14, now that's another one to shove in my backpack and not worry.
Incidentally bought for the lens thinking it was a hidden gem, but it's not one of Minolta's best efforts....oh well

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
Well today just bought a Minolta SR101b with 58mm f1.4 pf rokkor lens for £14, now that's another one to shove in my backpack and not worry. Incidentally bought for the lens thinking it was a hidden gem, but it's not one of Minolta's best efforts....oh well

Welp, I don't wish to hijack my own thread, but here goes anyway . . .

The Minolta Rokkor Auto PF lenses were Minolta's first SLR lenses. The Rokkor PFs were somewhat primitive -- according to my information, no Rokkor PF lens has a meter coupling, thus must be used in stop-down metering mode on those cameras that support this. Kinda like the Canon FL lenses. I would suggest that you look around for an MC Rokkor or MD Rokkor-X equivalent to your PF. I think you'll be much happier with their optical quality.

I'm curious about your camera. According to my research, the camera Minolta marketed in the US as the SRT 201 was marketed in Japan as the SR 101 and in Europe as the SRT 101b. I have no record of an SR 101b. Feature-wise, the camera should be identical to the SRT 101, except it has a hot shoe, whereas the SRT 101 didn't. Also, some SRT 201s had mirror lock up, but most didn't. Does this agree with your camera? You wouldn't have a photo of it you could put up, would you?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:
"While not one of the cleanest F-1s I've ever seen, it's cleaner than about 95% of them."

Michael, compared to mine, it's like new !

Yeah, I'm very happy with its cosmetic quality. It shows signs of use, but not abuse. Even so, the old F-1s that I used to own, I bought used, and when I bought them, they had been heavily used -- considerable brassing, dents and dings. But they never let me down, and I came to depend upon the absolute accuracy of their meters. Glad to have one back in the stable again.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
The Minolta Rokkor Auto PF lenses were Minolta's first SLR lenses. The Rokkor PFs were somewhat primitive -- according to my information, no Rokkor PF lens has a meter coupling, thus must be used in stop-down metering mode on those cameras that support this. Kinda like the Canon FL lenses. I would suggest that you look around for an MC Rokkor or MD Rokkor-X equivalent to your PF. I think you'll be much happier with their optical quality.

I don't think this is quite right. The 1.4/58 MC (meter-coupled) Rokkor is also a PF design (6 elements in 5 groups).

Primitive? I don't think so at all. I'm in love with mine. Optically I'd put it on a par with the Takumar 1.8/55 (also a 6-5 design), but mechanically it's bigger, heavier and even silkier than the Tak. I just wish it was an M42! Smile

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
cooltouch wrote:

I don't think this is quite right. The 1.4/58 MC (meter-coupled) Rokkor is also a PF design (6 elements in 5 groups).

Primitive? I don't think so at all. I'm in love with mine. Optically I'd put it on a par with the Takumar 1.8/55 (also a 6-5 design), but mechanically it's bigger, heavier and even silkier than the Tak. I just wish it was an M42! Smile

Well, perhaps a poor choice of words. By "primitive" I was referring to its lack of a meter coupling.

Is your 1.4/58 MC Rokkor labeled Auto PF only, or does it also include the MC designation?

I've moved our Minolta lens discussion over to the MF Lenses section, so please post further replies there:

http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?p=182486#182486

Last edited by cooltouch on Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:14 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
cooltouch wrote:

I think cooltouch is correct, Minolta's Auto PF 55/1.8 was slightly after the Minolta's first SLR SR-2 (1958) was introduced. The lens was recalculated based on
Minolta 35's super rokkor 50/1.8. Auto PF 55/1.8 was probably introduced 1960 with Auto Aperture feature, no surprise. This year 1960 Minolta started selling
SR-3 with 6 Auto Aperture Lenses, Auto W Rokkor-HG 35/2.8, Auto Rokkor-PF 55/1.8, Auto Rokkor-PF 55/2, Auto Tele Rokkor-PF 100/2, Auto Tele Rokkor-QF
100/3.5, and Auto Tele Rokkor-PG 135/2.8.

Though there might have been Preset 55mm normal lens for SR-2 under S-series name(?), but I cannot trace back to this lens.

I have this Auto Rokkor-PF 55/1.8, Takumar 55/1.8 seems better to me. Mine does not say MC on the bevel, has greenish coating,
the world first multi-coating (only 2 layers tho). Aperture ring has aperture numbers and EV numbers beneath each aperture value.
Oh, and the aperture ring cannot be tuned without pressing a side button, which looks exactly like later MC lens' preview button.
It is an old lens, primitive comparing even with later MC lenses.

That'a all I know.

Peter, aren't you mixed this AUTO ROKKOR-PF 55/1.8 (55 mm) with MC ROKKOR-PF 58/1.4 (58 mm)?
If so I tend to agree with you about your PF (58/1.4) lens's performance against Takumar 55/1.8.

Last edited by koji on Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Michael you are right.

Mine does not have a meter linkage tab under the aperture ring.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Excalibur wrote:
Well today just bought a Minolta SR101b with 58mm f1.4 pf rokkor lens for £14, now that's another one to shove in my backpack and not worry. Incidentally bought for the lens thinking it was a hidden gem, but it's not one of Minolta's best efforts....oh well

Welp, I don't wish to hijack my own thread, but here goes anyway . . .

I'm curious about your camera. According to my research, the camera Minolta marketed in the US as the SRT 201 was marketed in Japan as the SR 101 and in Europe as the SRT 101b. I have no record of an SR 101b. Feature-wise, the camera should be identical to the SRT 101, except it has a hot shoe, whereas the SRT 101 didn't. Also, some SRT 201s had mirror lock up, but most didn't. Does this agree with your camera? You wouldn't have a photo of it you could put up, would you?

Sorry didn't mean to hijack your thread, but how many posts can be added from the beginning "I have just got a mint F1 this morning".

My camera is SRT101b with hot shoe, but no mirror lockup, and I'm not really a Minolta man but have heard about some great Rokkor lenses and thought the MC PF 58mm f1.4 might be one of the best and worth buying?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MC Rokkor-PF 58/1.4 is not a bad lens, simliar one MC Rokkor-PG 50/1.4 is
a good one (my personal fav). The both are worth buying (<$50~70) if you cannot find
MC Rokkor-PG 58/1.2 in reasonable price (< $300)

Sample photos (not complete) : http://www.pbase.com/kkawakami/mylens_rokkors

Enjoy Rokkors, I personally prefer Rokkors to Canon and Pentax mainly becaus colour
rendition or cast from the later two. of course YMMV

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

koji wrote:
peterqd wrote:
cooltouch wrote:

I think cooltouch is correct, Minolta's Auto PF 55/1.8 was slightly after the Minolta's first SLR SR-2 (1958) was introduced. The lens was recalculated based on
Minolta 35's super rokkor 50/1.8. Auto PF 55/1.8 was probably introduced 1960 with Auto Aperture feature, no surprise. This year 1960 Minolta started selling
SR-3 with 6 Auto Aperture Lenses, Auto W Rokkor-HG 35/2.8, Auto Rokkor-PF 55/1.8, Auto Rokkor-PF 55/2, Auto Tele Rokkor-PF 100/2, Auto Tele Rokkor-QF
100/3.5, and Auto Tele Rokkor-PG 135/2.8.

Though there might have been Preset 55mm normal lens for SR-2 under S-series name(?), but I cannot trace back to this lens.

I have this Auto Rokkor-PF 55/1.8, Takumar 55/1.8 seems better to me. Mine does not say MC on the bevel, has greenish coating,
the world first multi-coating (only 2 layers tho). Aperture ring has aperture numbers and EV numbers beneath each aperture value.
Oh, and the aperture ring cannot be tuned without pressing a side button, which looks exactly like later MC lens' preview button.
It is an old lens, primitive comparing even with later MC lenses.

That'a all I know.

Peter, aren't you mixed this AUTO ROKKOR-PF 55/1.8 (55 mm) with MC ROKKOR-PF 58/1.4 (58 mm)?
If so I tend to agree with you about your PF (58/1.4) lens's performance against Takumar 55/1.8.

Koji, I don't think I mentioned a 55mm Rokkor. I was comparing the 1.4/58mm Rokkor-PF to the 55mm Takumar.

Michael said "no Rokkor PF lens has a meter coupling" and I was pointing out his information was incorrect.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:

Sorry didn't mean to hijack your thread, but how many posts can be added from the beginning "I have just got a mint F1 this morning".

Oh, I don't care if this thread dies out. Such is the nature of most threads. It's more a case of ensuring that the conversation remains somewhat relevant to the subject of the thread, hence the reason why I started a new one about the old Minolta lenses over here:

http://forum.mflenses.com/was-my-new-tool-arrived-today-now-early-minolta-t21221.html

Predictably, I suppose, the Rokkors are already being compared to old Takumars. Cool

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

koji wrote:
MC Rokkor-PF 58/1.4 is not a bad lens, simliar one MC Rokkor-PG 50/1.4 is
a good one (my personal fav). The both are worth buying (<$50~70) if you cannot find
MC Rokkor-PG 58/1.2 in reasonable price (< $300)

Sample photos (not complete) : http://www.pbase.com/kkawakami/mylens_rokkors

Enjoy Rokkors, I personally prefer Rokkors to Canon and Pentax mainly becaus colour
rendition or cast from the later two. of course YMMV

Thanks....Other than a fixed lens Minolta P&S, this is the only SLR Rokkor lens I have (untested). With f1.4 and Fuji 1600 asa it will be useful for inside work where you can't use flash.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

***Predictably, I suppose, the Rokkors are already being compared to old Takumars.***

Well when not take photos, discussing lenses has always been interesting.....well definately since the 1960s when world Joe public had more money to buy camera gear.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
***Predictably, I suppose, the Rokkors are already being compared to old Takumars.***

Well when not take photos, discussing lenses has always been interesting.....well definately since the 1960s when world Joe public had more money to buy camera gear.

Yup, gotta agree. But it seems that sooner or later, good lenses get compared to Takumars around here. I think that explains a lot why it's almost impossible to find them for cheap anymore.