Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Which fast 35mm would you recommend for EOS 5D?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:59 am    Post subject: Which fast 35mm would you recommend for EOS 5D? Reply with quote

35mm is my favourite focal lenght, I like to walk around with my 5D and the Flektogon 2.4/35. However, sometimes it would be nice to have that one or two more f-stops, when light is missing or there are objects which could get more of a 3D effect.

Which lenses would you recommend? Mirror on 5D is not shaved.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Which fast 35mm would you recommend for EOS 5D? Reply with quote

mflex-on wrote:
35mm is my favourite focal lenght, I like to walk around with my 5D and the Flektogon 2.4/35. However, sometimes it would be nice to have that one or two more f-stops, when light is missing or there are objects which could get more of a 3D effect.

The Nikon 35mm f1.4 AIS. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went through a similar decision process a few months ago. I was considering both the Contax 35/1.4 and Nikon 35/1.4. I decided the Contax was too expensive and I didn't like the Nikon's bokeh. So then I started considering slightly slower options. Based on many opinions, reviews, tests, etc. I narrowed it down to Rokkor 35/1.8 and Canon FD 35/2 SSC (Ver.I).

I found the Canon for $50 and bought it. Conversion was pretty easy (but I am getting pretty good at it by now).

I have no regrets. Extremely sharp and contrasty wide open and very nice bokeh (for a 35mm). Much better than my EF 35/2.

Make sure to get the SSC Ver.I only. You can tell because the aperture only goes to f16, not f22. The f16 version has a concave front element and at least one thoriated element.

Here are some sample shots wide open:

100% crop:

Here it is at infinity, at f2:

100% crop from above:

Still wide open:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Which fast 35mm would you recommend for EOS 5D? Reply with quote

DSG wrote:
mflex-on wrote:

+1 and if you have more money CZ Distagon 35mm f1.4

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big WOW Cogitech! Many thanks to sharing!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Which fast 35mm would you recommend for EOS 5D? Reply with quote

DSG wrote:
mflex-on wrote:

+2 on this. I owned one of these years ago, and it was a great lens. I own a non-AI 35mm f/2 (AI'd by Nikon) that I use with my EOS right now. So, if you can't fit the 1.4 into your budget, the f/2 flavor also does a great job.

True, the Canon concave 35/2 is an excellent optic, but it's uncommon and requires mods to adapt, so I'd give a nod to the Nikkor. Non-AIs are pretty common, thus not very expensive, and can be mounted using the adapter without needing any mods.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Which fast 35mm would you recommend for EOS 5D? Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
DSG wrote:
mflex-on wrote:

+1 and if you have more money CZ Distagon 35mm f1.4

Does it keep mirror free?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

WOW indeed! Great results!
Are you able to convert any FD lens?

BTW, the Leica Summicron 2/35 also is a fantastic lens, but I don't know if it has morror issues...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="LucisPictor"]
Attila wrote:

BTW, the Leica Summicron 2/35 also is a fantastic lens, but I don't know if it has morror issues...

Works on the 5D without any probs.. but its not a recommanded lens for FF in fact of egde to edge sharpness. For Cropcams this Leica is beautiful, but not for FF.

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="hinnerker"]
LucisPictor wrote:
Attila wrote:

Works on the 5D without any probs.. but its not a recommanded lens for FF in fact of egde to edge sharpness. For Cropcams this Leica is beautiful, but not for FF.

Cheers
Henry

Well, I agree when wide open the corners sharpness is poor as is illumination but, I love the look on my 5D.
The Summicron 2/35 has a character that is very pleasing and more often found in longer FL's at wide open.
Stopped down it performs as a leica.
I would not pass it over for the Nikkor personally.
If you can find a Distagon at a decent price.......take it. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Attila wrote:

WOW indeed! Great results!
Are you able to convert any FD lens?

It is probably the best $50 I have ever spent on a lens. In fact, it ended up being a gift from my in-laws in Japan so, really, it was free.

I do not know if I can convert any FD lens, but I have been mostly successful with all that I have tried so far. By "mostly", I mean that some are not quite to infinity, and one can only be used wide open (FD 300mm f4L) but they are all very useful, for sure. Smile With the 35/2, I was able to maintain both full aperture control and infinity focus.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everybody knows I am VERY partial on the Distagon 1.4/35, so I will not comment. Smile

If buying new is also an option, I would consider the ZE DIstagon 2/35 when it will be available in Canon mount (probably before Christmas):

http://www.zeiss.com/C12567A8003B58B9/ContentsWWWIntern/F059B023D3F70687C12571EC0051BB9E#5

Canon mount will mean full use of camera's options (including time priority and depth of field modes), supposedly no light metering problems, and correct EXIF data in all shots.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if you're short on budget, consider the MIR-24N (nikon mount) or MIR-24M (M42 mount).
They are amongst the finest soviet lenses, in my opinion.
35mm f/2
Best qualities: super bokeh wide open, great colour saturation at all stops.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
And if you're short on budget, consider the MIR-24N (nikon mount) or MIR-24M (M42 mount).
35mm f/2

Would you rate this MIR better than the 2.4/35 Flektogon?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mflex-on wrote:
Orio wrote:
35mm f/2

I did a simple comparison between the Mir-24M and the Flek 2.4/35 in 2007:
http://forum.mflenses.com/head-to-head-flek-2-4-35-v-mir-24m-2-35-t1338,highlight,flek++mir.html

The Mir was slightly less sharp in the corners (on a crop cam) but there was very little to choose between them. The Mir gives considerably warmer tones.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mflex-on wrote:

it's different.
The Flek is better for sharpness, the MIR is better for bokeh and for colours.
I love my MIR-24N, it has given me great images in low light conditions:

http://www.oriofoto.net/temp/piacenza_natale_2006/slides/08-400D_pc-mir2-35_061223_01.html

http://www.oriofoto.net/temp/piacenza_natale_2006/slides/10-400D_pc-mir2-35_061223_03.html

http://www.oriofoto.net/temp/piacenza_natale_2006/slides/11-400D_pc-mir2-35_061223_04.html

http://www.oriofoto.net/temp/piacenza_natale_2006/slides/13-400D_pc-mir2-35_061223_06.html

http://www.oriofoto.net/temp/piacenza_natale_2006/slides/14-400D_pc-mir2-35_061223_07.html

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the budget isn't your issue, consider CZ 35/1.4. It's an one of my favorite lens.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all replies so far!
Well, Zeiss! Is it a C/Y mount lens? Are there any issues in versions (old/new) and finally: how much will I have to invest - normal prices, bargains ever welcome Wink

Budget is a criterium, but nevertheless I am willing and am able to pay for good or better lens power.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mflex-on wrote:
Thanks for all replies so far!
Well, Zeiss! Is it a C/Y mount lens? Are there any issues in versions (old/new) and finally: how much will I have to invest - normal prices, bargains ever welcome Wink

Very difficult to find the Distagon 1.4/35 at a bargain price.
Expect a minimum price around 500 Euros. Upper price limit around 900 Euros.
Typical average price nowadays: around 600 Euros. Which is double of the average price until a couple of years ago. Yes, they have raised so much.

Cogitech recommends the Samyang 1.2/35. It will be released soon at a very affordable price. Before making a buying decision, you may want to check into it. As for quality, we only have Cogitech's words so far. No sample pictures posted by Samyang yet.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked up the oldest nikkor-n version of the nikon 35mm f/1.4 this week. I havn't had too much of a chance to fool with it yet. I've had the f/2 version for a bit and the spiratone 35mm f/1.8, both of which I didn't care for too much. For the way I shoot 1.4 blows the 2 or 1.8 out of the water. Here's a shot with the 5dmkii in a dimly lit room. Sorry about the white balance...I had it set for tungsten. The bokeh is a little busy, I think. But I like it.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3427/3994773841_68403849c8_b.jpg

I did have to hack off the tab on the back to get it to mount on the 5d. Does that make it ai now? Very Happy No mirror clearance issues.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost forgot. The early version of the nikkor-n that I have definitely has thoriated glass in it. It's very yellow. Even more so than my super-multi-coated tak. Here's another off color sample illustrating how it can look.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2476/3990148017_6a0cf9b338_b.jpg

This pic was taken before I got the nikon to eos adapter. I just glued an old adapter to the back which had an incorrect registry distance that allowed me to take shots well under the lenses normal minimum focusing distance, but not to infinity(not even close...more like 2 to 3 meters). Now, with the correct adapter it focuses beyond infinity, which I don't like either, but oh well.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Which fast 35mm would you recommend for EOS 5D? Reply with quote

mflex-on wrote:

35L is one of the best lenses, period. That would be the one if you have the cash.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Which fast 35mm would you recommend for EOS 5D? Reply with quote

tkbslc wrote:
mflex-on wrote:

35L is one of the best lenses, period. That would be the one if you have the cash.

May be. I think about it or better give it a try.
How is MF there? Plastic-like, indirect? I only have a 24-70L and I do not like MF there.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Which fast 35mm would you recommend for EOS 5D? Reply with quote

mflex-on wrote:
tkbslc wrote:
mflex-on wrote:

May be. I think about it or better give it a try.
How is MF there? Plastic-like, indirect? I only have a 24-70L and I do not like MF there.

AF lenses have to have poor indirect manual focusing so that AF can be quick and precise. If they had a nice smooth dampened feel, it would burn out the AF motor.

So, yeah, it will have weak MF feel compared to true MF glass - probably on par with the 24-70L.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed Sorry, this is not 35 mm - slightly wider at 28 mm, but it is a bargain: Vivitar Series 1 28/1.9. I got mine for 40€ at eBay last month. Has a very unique dynamic bokeh, is quite sharp (for the price) already at f/1.9. Renders nice colors and contrast every time. Great all-around available light lens. Pictures with this lens: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikkokam/tags/vivitarseries12819/

Last edited by mikkokam on Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:24 pm; edited 6 times in total