Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What Medium Format Camera to Get
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:56 am    Post subject: What Medium Format Camera to Get Reply with quote

I'm looking at getting a medium format camera now that I'm using film more than digital. I quite like the Rollieflex Automats and they're within budget, (but this is just because I think they look cool).

What MF cameras do you have experience in and which did you like?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yashica TLR:s are much cheaper and even better looking I think. TLR is quite big to carry around but I like very much using it.

Then there are the really rare japanes ones like Elbowflex, Oplenflex, Welmylflex .. really - didn't just pull these off my head. Very Happy

http://www.camerapedia.org/wiki/Category:Japanese_6x6_TLR

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bronica Etrs with AE2 prism and speed grip can be like a large 35mm DSLR or SLR, if you prefer that method of taking shots and the lenses are very good.

T90 on left, Etrs middle, OM20 right

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn172/chakrata/img504.jpg

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Rolleiflex Automat is the first pre war Rolleiflex that is not positively clumsy - the "automat" in it is the film counter (the film transport coupling to the shutter cocking was already introduced with the new standard model). A more modern Rolleicord (III and up) or Rolleiflex T would not be much more expensive, but much more usable.

That said, pretty much all medium format cameras have a better price/value ratio than Rolleiflexes, as these are a Leica like cult. Mamiya and Hasselblad are cheap by the numbers in which they exist and now get turned out by pro studios in favour of digital, Pentax, Contax and Zenzas are even more deprecated as they were abandoned by their manufacturers.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have experience with Yashica TLR, Rolleiflex TLR, Bessa, Konica , Zeiss folders , Pentacon Six, Pentax 645

From above lists I prefer

1) Pentax 645 + Pentacon six lenses (I don't have exp with Pentax lenses)
2) Bessa RF Heliar, Bessa I Color-Skopar, Konica Pearl.

I not prefer others.

For me a Pentax 645 + Flektogon 4/50 most perfect tool.

Folders are unbeatable on travel due small size and superb image quality.

Look samples here if interest.

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/filmcamera/

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Yashica Mat 124G & Ricoh Diacord are my two TLR's - I've fondled some Rolleis, and they are very seductive, the old ones. Some day. I can't pick a favorite between the two - which ever I'm shooting with at the moment, perhaps! They have slightly different takes on the world - the Diacord is more of the sharp/contrasty school, while the Mat is more romantic - though I don't think any less sharp.

I also am a recent P645 owner, it is a fine camera though for me a bit heavy and bulky. The Mamiyas seem to be more widely available however, for the bits and pieces etc. I think either series gives excellent modern results.

Folders, there's my love: portable, light, fun to use. Some give just about modern quality images, others are strictly vintage. Apart from the Voigtlanders, the Zeiss ones seem to be excellent, though at the fancy end expensive... the low priced models do fine. Franka, Certo are a couple of other names to look for.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go for something like a Pentax 645, Pentacon Six or Kiev equivlent you do have a big range of top quality (and not really expensive) lenses available from the Pentacon line-up. From 30mm Arsat extreme wide angle (about 20mm equivalent on a full frame DSLR), through the 50mm Flektogon, 80mm Biometar standard, 120 Biometar, 180 and 300 Sonnar up to the 500mm Orestegor. All the Zeiss lenses in this range are absolutely superb and you can get any of them for less than $300. Good Biometars probably for as little as $150 each.

Get a Rolleiflex TLR and you are stuck with a fixed Tessar lens, which is a good lens but not as good as the Biometar equivalent.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulC wrote:
If you go for something like a Pentax 645, Pentacon Six or Kiev equivlent you do have a big range of top quality (and not really expensive) lenses available from the Pentacon line-up. From 30mm Arsat extreme wide angle (about 20mm equivalent on a full frame DSLR), through the 50mm Flektogon, 80mm Biometar standard, 120 Biometar, 180 and 300 Sonnar up to the 500mm Orestegor. All the Zeiss lenses in this range are absolutely superb and you can get any of them for less than $300. Good Biometars probably for as little as $150 each.

Get a Rolleiflex TLR and you are stuck with a fixed Tessar lens, which is a good lens but not as good as the Biometar equivalent.

+1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You state that a Rolleiflex Automat is within your budget. Given the amount by which prices for clean Automats have increased lately, you could probably come close to a clean Mamiya or Bronica outfit for the same amount. Something to consider.

I have direct experience with various Rolleiflexes -- Automats, 2.8 and 3.5 Cs and Ds -- Yashica Mat 124G, Zeiss Super Ikonta B, and Bronica EC-TL.

All of the above cameras took great photos. But the camera that delivered the most bang for the buck was the Yashica Mat 124G. That Yashinon lens delivered superb images -- easily equal to the images I obtained with my Rolleiflex and Super Ikonta Zeiss lenses.

You'll note that all the above cameras are also square format. I don't happen to mind square format -- in fact, I rather like it -- nonetheless, it's an easy format to use since you can crop in your head, or use the frame lines in the Yashica, and you don't have to rotate the camera.

I gradually sold off all my medium format gear, and now I regret it. I plan to re-enter the format with the purchase of a Yashica Mat 124. Eventually, as funds allow, I'll most likely buy a Bronica SQA or perhaps a Mamiya RB outfit.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you just want to try and not do more commitments:
Click here to see on Ebay.de

I agree; you can't really go wrong with one of those (provided the lens isn't seized up), dead simple and the seller says it's all good.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happened here -- the last senetence is not my text .. it is a response?? Shocked Shocked Shocked

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the mods mistakenly edited it instead of replied. I can't imagine other case how did happen.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why mods have to be able to edit texts. Remove and move is ok but why edit?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because they are moderator.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wasn't me this time! Smile

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have a Pentacon six camera with a Flektogon 50, Biometar 80 and Biometar 120. My camera was serviced before I used it and so I didn't experience the bad habbits of it which you can read in the internet. The lenses are also nothing to complain about but the size and weight of the lot was to much for me. I sold everything and aquired a Rolleicord Va which I find more useful. The screen is a bit dim so nothing for low light but otherwise it is a really nice camera.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the comments. I may start with a cheap folder and see how I get on. I too actually like the square format.

peterqd wrote:

I've lost count of the times I've nearly done that! Fortunately I noticed in time.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A folder? Well, you won't lose much if it doesn't work but be aware that the lens might need dismantling and cleaning and it's pot luck whether it will produce good results or not. I reckon about a fifth of the nice looking folders on sale are in good working order but with a bit of cleaning that goes up to 50%. Slow shutter speeds not working and lenses with layers of condensed nicotine seem to be significant problems.

Don't be tempted by anything with an aperture less than f4.5 and don't be put off by triplets. A Moskva 5 from Grizzlybear might be a good start, if she says it works it should do, unless you plan to trawl through the charity shops.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First impression is important, try to take well respected folders , if possible from photographers who did use before. Folders either can be wonderful and disappointment.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
First impression is important, try to take well respected folders , if possible from photographers who did use before. Folders either can be wonderful and disappointment.

That's why it is important to get lots of them Smile

Seriously, though, if you are interested in something like a Moskva 5, make sure you get the internal mask for 6x6 photos with it. Many Moskvas still have it, most other brands don't seem to. Perhaps Russian photographers were more concerned about saving film by using the 6x6 option.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:

Err... umm... Embarassed
I could swear I didn't do the edit button on that.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a TLR to start off, 124G is a good choice. Then may go on to rolleiflex.