Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Surprise Olympus AF-1
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:04 pm    Post subject: Surprise Olympus AF-1 Reply with quote

A year ago a seller threw in an Olympus AF-1 in a bundle of stuff. I was only interested in the lenses and the camera seemed to be broken (wasn't winding on), so I wasn't interested in that and left it aside.
Yesterday I found it again and had a closer look. Turned out the film wind-on fault I thought it had wasn't a fault at all, the film simply wasn't put on the take-up spool at all.
I loaded a fresh film and let it run itself to number one, shot a frame or two and it seems to be working ok.
On looking up the AF-1, I find it's weatherproof - which is useful, as I'd been wanting a weatherproof compact. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks nice ! And I think it will deliver great result! Please share with us!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These little Olympus cams (AF or not) are really nice!
They mostly sport good lenses. I like my AF-1 Twin a lot. It has a nice double focal length feature:

f3.5/35 and f6.3/70.

BTW, I've got two other really good AF compact cams.

Nikon L35 AF (with a fantastic 2.8/35 lens)

and

Canon AF35 M II (with a very good 2.8/38 lens)

These two little snapshot cams produce very nice results and they set me back about 2 EUR each or something!!

An extremely cheap collecting field and still usable!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice ones.
I shall carry this one around in the car with no fear of crappy weather, now Smile
I wish I'd known about it sooner - I could certainly have made use of it on a couple of occasions when I didn't want to get my gear wet.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Olympus AF-1 is very robust and a good shooter. I got one for my little daughter for her 3rd birthday and she had a lot of fun with it.

@Carsten
The AF-1 Twin looks nice. Is it meant to switch between the two focal lengths.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IANUS wrote:
@Carsten
The AF-1 Twin looks nice. Is it meant to switch between the two focal lengths.

Yes.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave,

I got one of those not long ago, and it has been sitting in the drawer since then, mainly because there were others to try with higher priority (Olympus XA and XA2) and my spare time is getting more and more scarce...

But now that you have recalled me it's existance, I'm going to give it a try...
Thanks! Smile

Jes.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:
Hi Dave,

I got one of those not long ago, and it has been sitting in the drawer since then, mainly because there were others to try with higher priority (Olympus XA and XA2) and my spare time is getting more and more scarce...

But now that you have recalled me it's existance, I'm going to give it a try...
Thanks! Smile

Jes.

It's quite a nice little brick-like camera; not an ounce of pretension about it. Dead simple point and shoot and I hope the lens is at least half-decent.

It's hard to keep up with all the cameras I should be putting film through and it starts getting expensive again if I use them too regularly. This AF-1 will see some use, but I really should put a first roll through it quickly simply to see if it works properly.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, have you got a user manual... to share? Wink

I cannot recall how does it work Sad I had trouble even putting the film in, as soon as I touched the sprocket wheel the film started to run inside.... I quickly shut the door, so I expect not to have lost too much film...

Thanks in advance,
Jes.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:
BTW, have you got a user manual... to share? Wink

I cannot recall how does it work Sad I had trouble even putting the film in, as soon as I touched the sprocket wheel the film started to run inside.... I quickly shut the door, so I expect not to have lost too much film...

Thanks in advance,
Jes.

Sorry, Jes. I don't have any manual for it. I just entered the film end as normal, fitted the cassette into its recess and as soon as I shut the back, it wound on to the first ready frame.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can attest that the Nikon L35AF is a fine little shooter. The 35mm f/2.8 lens
is a 5-element Sonnar design and gives very good results. There is also
a filter ring on the camera and the AF seems quite accurate.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NICE little camera, I love the style of the design. Hey, now you can simply get right down in the wet grass and take ground-level images without hurting the camera!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got this camera yesterday, the Olympus Stylus, bought from a guy
from Pentax Forums for $25 including shipping:

Got a roll of Kodak Gold 200 in it right now. Camera is small and compact
compared to my two Ricohs, feels like a Ferrari! lol

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:

Wow, it does look like a stylish XA....

Congrats Bill!. Let's see the first samples soon Smile

Kind regards,
Jes.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:
Katastrofo wrote:

Wow, it does look like a stylish XA....

Jes.

Noes! lol Laughing joking...recently i've been tempted by an offer of an italian guy, he was selling his one for 20 euros, but i rejected the offer, since i already have two Xas and also loosing manual controls like focus wouldn't be pleasing for me (even though even its comfort tempted me).

Btw, which batteries does the Olympus AF in the first post use? (Just wondering)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mUg wrote:

Btw, which batteries does the Olympus AF in the first post use? (Just wondering)

Please, take a look here: http://forum.mflenses.com/going-environmental-friendly-on-the-olympus-af1-and-others-t15480,highlight,af1.html

Jes.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:13 pm    Post subject: SNAP! Reply with quote

Maybe we need an AF point & shoot Olympus Stylus sub-group?

Heresy! lol

Doug.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I just picked one of these up for $3 at the thrift store. Its called the Infinity here in the US. Suprised to find out it is weatherproof! For $3, though, who really cares if it gets damaged in the rain? Smile

They also had a dual length Ricoh tf-500 for $3 that still had a good battery in it. It has a 35mmf2.8 and when you push a button, it pops out to become a 70-5.6. No zoom in between. Picked that one up too.

I then went to the grocery on the way home and they had the 223 batteries on clearance. It was meant to be, I guess.