Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Best Scanning Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:13 pm    Post subject: Best Scanning Software Reply with quote

Which scanning software do you prefer and why?

I use Epsons , not because I think is the best, but because I haven´t tried other...jet.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an Epson v350 but I use Vuescan with it, its much smaller than all the epson software, seems to do the same if not more and is quicker to load and use. Not done a lot with it yet but it seems very easy to use and intuitive

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The epson software has a couple of things going for it: ease and clarity of use, mainly. Color balances are hit and miss, and softness creeps into the scan very easily.

Vuescan on the other hand can produce excellent color and sharp scans... but it's a bitch to use and learn. Especially with MF film. I'm never quite sure just what will show up at the far end, crop wise, etc. But once you achieve a good setup for what you're scanning, the results are preferable to the Epson software.

(I use a 4490)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had Epson, Minolta, Nikon, Vuescan and Silverfast SE plus. I use Vuescan exclusively now. Epson was great, very easy to use. Minolta was a joke, at least for my scanner. The Nikon, no thanks! Silverfast I didn't get on with, either.

Vuescan or Epson get my vote. I'm using a Nikon 5000.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vuescan for film and if I want a quick scan of pages I use the Epson software.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Epson software , simple I like it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, a dedicated 35mm scanner works best for 35mm. A flatbed seems to work best for 120, 6 x xxx, etc.

An Imacon or drum scanner is the best all around and the most expensive.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use poposhop, forever the best

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where does one get Vuescan?

~Marc

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best that I have used was an Agfa scanner that we had at the camera store. The best thing was Agfa included profiles for almost every film on the market.

If you can ever find one of these or the software they supplied, you will be very happy as the color always looked great!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shad309 wrote:
The best that I have used was an Agfa scanner that we had at the camera store. The best thing was Agfa included profiles for almost every film on the market.

If you can ever find one of these or the software they supplied, you will be very happy as the color always looked great!

That's interesting, Shadadiah (just guessing what your full name is from
your avatar ;o) but I haven't found that to be particularly useful, not yet
anyway. The Agfa scanners use SCSI and software is for Windows 98 or
of that era. Of course if you're talking about a drum scanner by Agfa
that's a whole different (and probably expensive) deal...(?)

Polaroid Sprintscans are of the same era and yielded purty good
results, too, but there again it's SCSI and Windows 98, maybe 2000.

It looks as though Nikon is getting out of the consumer scanner business,
what a shame, not that I can afford the 9000 right now...

Bill

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's Shad- named after an old blacksmith from Silver Dollar City. He also had an every now and again spot on the Beverly Hillbillies...... enough about that LOL

The scanner was an Afgascan T8000. We used it with a WinXP system and photoshop cs2.
It was a dual scanner- flatbed on tap and slide out tray for negs & slides up to 8X10 large format. It really was great quality scans

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shad, thanks for the name background, you really went offroad to find
this one...lol.

Yes, the Agfascan T8000 is a freestanding unit and looks like it would
run some bucks if you could find one. The Heidelberg Topaz shares much
of the same tech as the Agfascan, it too, is freestanding and looks expensive.
Geez 5 lenses, zoom capability, 4.2 DMax, 8000dpi, sounds
purty good to me!

Thanks for dangling this golden carrot, Shad. Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad note..... The owner of the photo store I worked at threw that scanner into the dumpster recently Shocked HOW STUPID!!!!

It would be nice if a person could obtain those film profiles from the Agfa software and use it with other scanners. Does anyone know if this can be done?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ack! He must have had a work crew to help him toss that thing into the dumpster. I just googled that Agfascan, found this site:

http://www.futuretech.blinkenlights.nl/extreme.html

The AgfaScan T8000 cost $37,500 new in 1997. One meter tall, 180kg. But it had an optical scan resolution of 8000dpi, a 12"x18" scan area, and more.

A true behemoth, but I'd have tried to find room for that sucker rather than throwing it away. 8000dpi is still mighty high resolution.