Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Looking for a decent 28mm f2.8 (m42)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:58 am    Post subject: Looking for a decent 28mm f2.8 (m42) Reply with quote

Hi all,

I am currently enjoying a Mir 1V 37mm f2.8 with my APS-C dslr (Sony A100), which I like a lot: both sharpness and colours are great for me, as well as the field of view.

But...

I sometimes find those 37mm rather restricting for street photo. I already own a Pentacon 29mm f2.8 that gives me the extra width I want. The problem with the pentacon is that its borders are rather soft wide open (even though once stopped down to say f/5.6 its performance is quite good). Thus, I'm looking for another 28 mm lens with a decent performance (doesn't have to be stellar), which should have an aperture of at least 2.8 ).

Which one can you recommend me? What's your opinion of the Tokina 28mm f/2.8? Beroflex?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by mikel on Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:04 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you want only a "decent" lens when you can buy a better one for just a few more euros/dollars? 28mm's are abundant enough to be cheap, so I would recommend (noting your avatar) a S-M-C Takumar 28mm f/3.5. Granted, it's not a f/2.8 but does that make a big difference for you?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so, considering the Pentacon is my starting point, I'm open to excellent 28mm's too Very Happy

Any other recommendations apart from the S-M-C Tak?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikel wrote:

My better 28mm is a Pentax M 2.8, but it is K-mount.

My previous favorite was Tamron Adaptall-2 28mm f2.5 (with of course a M42 adaptall mount).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jieffe wrote:
mikel wrote:

My better 28mm is a Pentax M 2.8, but it is K-mount.

My previous favorite was Tamron Adaptall-2 28mm f2.5 (with of course a M42 adaptall mount).

I have that one for sale soon (Tamron I mean). Wink

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to go for a Vivitar 2.8/28 (by Komine) or a Vivitar 2.5/28 (by Kiron).
Both lenses can be excellent (if the copy is good) and be found for very little money.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read many good things about the Vivitar 28/2.5 and 28/2.8 Lucis Pictor is recommending.
If you go this route mind that there is a 2.8/28 which is called 'Close Focus' which is the one described as being the best of all, another called 'Wide Angle'. If you want a Komine check that the serial number starts with 28 ( there are others made by e.g Cosina which are quite good too )

but about those I only have read...about the Takumar I know it is very good, I have been using it quite a lot.

A Vivitar 28/2..great if you want it really fast

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another recommendation for the Vivitar/Komine 28mm f/2.8. It's excellent: sharp even wide open (especially in the centre) and even the bokeh is pretty good. Here's one sample wide open (original size in my flickr):

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my Yashica/Yashicor M42 28mm 2.8
http://yashica.org/290-2-AUTO-YASHIKOR-28mm-12-8.html

I also have the YUS version as well http://yashica.org/165-2-YUS+28mm+128.html

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigma Mini-wide 28/2.8; the close up performance is better than most. Tehy are available in lots of mounts too.

The problem with these is that they too often go for too much money in my opinion.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Razster wrote:

seems that this lens is decentered. or what i this magnification-effect at bottom of the image about? Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is a manual focus forum, but seriously the Sigma 30mm 1.4 is what I would (and did) do. It is such a good lens in every way.

MF is insanely hard on a lens that wide in my experience. I tried a couple of cheaper 28 MF primes and I was probably 1/10 for focus accuracy.

One I did try which I would not consider worthy as even a weapon to throw at my worst enemy, was the Miida 28mm f2.8. It was like a soft focus lens until f8.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tkbslc wrote:
I know this is a manual focus forum, but seriously the Sigma 30mm 1.4 is what I would (and did) do. It is such a good lens in every way.

MF is insanely hard on a lens that wide in my experience. I tried a couple of cheaper 28 MF primes and I was probably 1/10 for focus accuracy.

One I did try which I would not consider worthy as even a weapon to throw at my worst enemy, was the Miida 28mm f2.8. It was like a soft focus lens until f8.

Seek better ones not the cheapest ones and you will find superb MF lenses. Contax Distagon for example...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Attila wrote... seek better ones..

Not M42.. Leica R to xxx you need for that.

Here a some samples taken with the Elmarit 2.8/28mm,
SNo. near 3.000.000, Canon 5D FF, "Kieler Woche 2009"

greetz
Hinnerker

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tkbslc wrote:

It's got a very good reputation. However it is relatively expensive in the UK (~400 GBP). I addition, Sigma's reputation for QC is not great at the moment and some people complain about focusing issues with this lens.

Quote:
MF is insanely hard on a lens that wide in my experience.

If you look around this forum you will find very many very good, and some great, shots taken with a 28mm MF lens.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the first is kind of surreal!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

supahmario wrote:
the first is kind of surreal!

Very Happy

To see the image in HIGH RES,

http://dunkelnetz.de/images/events/kieler_woche/mir_gross.JPG

Was taken at "The Kieler Woche 2009" and shows the russian Sailship
"MIR", one of the greatest Sailships in the world.

Greetz
Hinnerker

As i see, you cant follow the link not directly, so copy and paste in the Browser.. in the Forum you have to much artefacts..
After seeing the image, with Mozilla 3.5 you can see so much details.. thats what Leica stands for.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tkbslc wrote:

Seek better ones not the cheapest ones and you will find superb MF lenses. Contax Distagon for example...

For Aps-C digicams, the Sigma 30 I mentioned is about as good as it gets. I know Sigma is not as prestigious a name as Zeiss, but there are also no older f1.4 lenses that are sharp right from f1.4 like the Sigma. Since 30mm is the new "normal 50mm prime" when placed on an Aps-C cam, you need something faster than f2.8, IMO. And you can use full time MF on the SIgma if that's your preference.

Plus like I mentioned, MF is rough on wider lenses - even the expensive ones. Just my opinion. I use both AF and MF and both have their place in my bag.

Sample from the Sigma 30 @ f1.4

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tkbslc wrote:
tkbslc wrote:

For Aps-C digicams, the Sigma 30 I mentioned is about as good as it gets. I know Sigma is not as prestigious a name as Zeiss, but there are also no older f1.4 lenses that are sharp right from f1.4 like the Sigma. Since 30mm is the new "normal 50mm prime" when placed on an Aps-C cam, you need something faster than f2.8, IMO. And you can use full time MF on the SIgma if that's your preference.

Plus like I mentioned, MF is rough on wider lenses - even the expensive ones. Just my opinion. I use both AF and MF and both have their place in my bag.

That is fine to use both. Especially if you like it's output. I had a Sigma cheap zoom 60-300mm in past I did like too.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, supahmario , definitely not a problem of magnification effect . It's probably a 3D-Effect ! Very Happy

28mm : I vote for the smc-Takumar 3,5/28 , the Vivitar 2,5/28 , Tamron 2,5/28mm , Chinon 2,8/28 .

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everybody for your suggestions.

Thing is that, apart from the Tak, the others seem to be more scarce and tricky to find in fleabay. Will take my time for them.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally... the Vivitar 28mm f/2.5 is coming home.