Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentacon lens 4/200mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:33 pm    Post subject: Pentacon lens 4/200mm Reply with quote

Good evening Very Happy

I plan to buy it just cause its superb construction ( kidding ) , it is of course a M42. Any user infos ? would be appreciated.

By the way i must be a fool. The 200mm lenses are sometimes very heavy, at least for me. I had 2 of them already : Zuiko 200 f5 and a superb Rokkor 200m f3.5 which was a tank built, baseball like lens. So one side its a bit heavy, but the Rokkor produced images of great quality ... bah one day i'll learn .Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it the Automatic / Electric version or the pre-set version?

The pre-set should have better bokeh (perhaps) but the auto / electric version will likely have less CA and be slightly more contrasty due to the multi coating. I still haven't managed to find an auto or electric version with working blades though Sad

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All version are light weight pretty good one.

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/german/meyer/meyer200zebra/
http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/german/pentacon/pentacon_200mm/

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the preset version, heavier than my Pentax-K 200/4, but lighter than my SMC Takumar 200/4 ...

Nice bokeh and quite sharp, even wide open, but avoid strong lights toward the lens (unless you are looking for artistic reflections) ...

Cheers

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the Auto version once. While a sharp lens with no real drawbacks, it didn't offer anything above what S-M-C Takumar 200/4 has to offer, so I sold it. On the other hand, this Pentacon is better (sharper and, in MC Auto version, with better contrast and flare resistance) than Vivitar 200/3.5, which itself is not a bad lens.

I found Pentacon's rendering similar to Takumar 200/4, with Tak having advantage in slightly better colors and flare resistance. The Tak fetches more on eBay though.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shrek wrote:
Is it the Automatic / Electric version or the pre-set version

I think its the auto version, all black and i believe on the last series.
thanx to all for the infos

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the preset. I used it yesterday as I couldn't bring my favoured 200mm Chinon with me. It's pretty good. Bokeh as pleasing due to the aperture blades and has a slightly cold white balance. Mine's in prestine condition and even has a box.

If you want a good, fairly cheap 200mm, I'd go for a Chinon 200mm F3.5 as it's quite a bit better than the Pentacon in just about every way.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aoleg wrote:
I found Pentacon's rendering similar to Takumar 200/4, with Tak having advantage in slightly better colors and flare resistance. The Tak fetches more on eBay though.

I found the Tak flared more and I was never impressed by it's sharpness.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:47 pm    Post subject: I got this lens since a long time Reply with quote

Hello,
i have this lens since when I used my analogic fujica.
Now I am starting to use it on a dslr.
I am quite happy about the feautures of this lens,. I spot the difference using the plastic kit lens of the DSLR that a friend of mine lent me for testing my lenses on digital
If you want i can post some pics with a MF pentacon 200 and a CANON 350
cheers
paolo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
aoleg wrote:

I found the Tak flared more and I was never impressed by it's sharpness.

Is your copy of Takumar a S-M-C one? Mine is, and it handles flare quite well, although I agree that it's not eltra-sharp (but very, very adequate).

S-M-C Takumar 200/4. Handling of flare is examplary:

Sharpness is quite allright:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:40 am    Post subject: pics with pentacon 200 Reply with quote

i post some pics, with this good lens., let me know what you think

this lens has a quite good boke and is a sharp lens

cheers paolo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of examples from my pre-set zebra version.
In my view the lens has very pleasing color rendition, contrast on the lower side and OK sharpness.
CA can sometimes be seen on high contrast objects.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aoleg,. your lens is takumar 200
I dont know the difference betweend this and your, but it's not bad, as far as i see
bye

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aoleg > Yes mine was the S-M-C. It was on a par with my Pentacon preset 4/200. When I bought the Chinon it made the other 2 look soft in comparison so one had to go.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: pics with pentacon 200 Reply with quote

mybike wrote:
this lens has a quite good boke and is a sharp lens

great stuff, this is the version i plan to buy. rendition seems more thatn ok, i like this. thanx

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pentacon is pretty good. Here's a couple of shots from last week that I took when my wife hijacked my Canon 70-200 F4 L.

I've no idea how to do 100% crops, but they are pretty sharp I can tell you.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots, martin! I seethe water with all the tones and shades very clear!
I took other pics in this summer day with the dslr and the pentacon , if you want to have look here following:
bye

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am more than convinced ( and otherwise i trust in Pentacon lenses as well ) by all the pix posted. Got the lens for 37€ finally, with case. Just hope it won't be too heavy :s

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a nice lens. I have a preset version with interchangable mount. I bought the lens as I has Pentacon 135mm lens with Exa mount. Got this with M42 mount, so that can use both.
Its heavy. Sharp with lot of CA/Optical aberration wide open. And thats little problem, as its a slow lens.

You can browse my portfolio on Flickr...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/asbalyan/sets/72157607822742824/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
I've no idea how to do 100% crops...

I am hesitant because I am no authority and hope I don't tell nonsense, but since nobody else took the bait...
in PS go to: view > actual pixels and then do a crop from there ( and please anybody do correct me if so necessary or expound )

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
martinsmith99 wrote:
I've no idea how to do 100% crops...

I am hesitant because I am no authority and hope I don't tell nonsense, but since nobody else took the bait...
in PS go to: view > actual pixels and then do a crop from there ( and please anybody do correct me if so necessary or expound )

That's perfectly correct. Also, in Paint Shop Pro, expand the image to 1:1 ratio and crop from there. Other image manipulation programs have similar.