Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Scanners
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:19 pm    Post subject: Scanners Reply with quote

I've all the kit for developing negs apart from the chemicals and a scanner.

What scanner would be recommended for printing upto 8x12/A4? I'm tempted by an Epsom flatbed, but also the Plustek neg scanners are tempting, as are the old Minoltas which crop up on efray.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Plustek flatbed stuff is at best "ok" but nothing to write home about.

The Epson's are very very good, IF you get the right one. I have had three of the low-end Epson's and have been really disappointed with sharpness, namely V100 and prior. I have seen the results from the V500 and they're superb in comparison to mine.

General rule of thumb seems to be an optical res of 2800dpi plus. Dedicated film scanners appear to have the edge over flatbeds, but I need the ability for prints too.

I just picked up a Canoscan LiDE 600F which pi55es all over my V100, but it's a fiddly bugger to use. If I'd not paid only ten quid, I'd take it back!

Get a V500 Wink

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a V300, pretty happy with. I scan at 300dpi for all pix posted here annd there, but it can go up to 12000 as i recall with a 24mp picture though Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked up an Epson Perfection 1660 PHOTO for messing around with negatives until I decide to get serious or not, thought I got a bargain for £20.00 but other Graham got a much better scanner for a tenner Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have V500 I love it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For dealing with MF I got an Epson 4490 in December. It's a discontinued model, but still available at almost knockdown prices if you look around.
If you only want to do 35mm, you have a huge range of choice, used and new. My 3490 is perfectly fine for that and cost ~40ish used a couple of years ago.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips. I've started trawling the fray for the scanners listed.

I take it that all the models do at least 8x12?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
Thanks for the tips. I've started trawling the fray for the scanners listed.

I take it that all the models do at least 8x12?

As reflective document /print scanners, yes, I would say so. Of course, there might be some space-saving ones that have a smaller area.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally pulled the trigger on a new V500. Amazon had the edge on prices. I did consider secondhand, but that much money on fragile equipment puts me off.