Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

WOW!! I couldnt believe my eyes !
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:50 pm    Post subject: WOW!! I couldnt believe my eyes ! Reply with quote

My neighbor is new to shooting. He recently purchased a K20D and asked me what lenses would be good but cheap. I told him to check out the M42 lenses on ebay. Well, he found a 50mm Mamyia SX f/2 for 20.00 USD and won it.

I found out about this yesterday when he offered to sell it to me for 10.00 USD. He told me he did a little grinding on it so he could mount it to his camera... Shocked

PICS

Images not the best, I think my hands were shaking when I saw the lens... Shocked Very Happy

I bought it from him after testing it. Everything seemed fine, and for 10.00 USD, what the heck.

Some sample pics from the lens..

Last edited by spiralcity on Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:43 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:09 pm    Post subject: My goodness Reply with quote

Why would he need to grind the lens like that? It looks like an M42 and should have fit on the K20 no problem!

Dont loan him any of you good glass Laughing

Nice reds in that first flower shot.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this lens. Its not quite a standard M42.

This series had an extra pin to transfer aperture infor for open-aperture metering and a moving flange it goes on. You can of course remove the pin, but that flange may still interfere with the mount. I haven't tried it on my K100D as I still haven't removed that pin. The pin/flange goes on the outside of the lip of usual M42 mounts like on the Spotmatic.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
I have this lens. Its not quite a standard M42.

This series had an extra pin to transfer aperture infor for open-aperture metering and a moving flange it goes on. You can of course remove the pin, but that flange may still interfere with the mount. I haven't tried it on my K100D as I still haven't removed that pin. The pin/flange goes on the outside of the lip of usual M42 mounts like on the Spotmatic.

Yes, he complained that the flange wouldnt allow the lens to mount.
I asked him why he didnt try to remove the bottom assemly and grind it down proper. I guess he just didnt know how to approcah it.

In any case, he didnt do any damage as far as usage is concerned. The lens works perfect, but BOY is it ugly... Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarity... makes sense why...

But how That is another question Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woohoo! Have Grinder, Will Travel.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he's been watching that tool time show I'd be guessing he opted for the 9 inch grinder to get a bit of raw power into the equation.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fear some people will be happy to stone your neighbour for desecration of a lens Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some Mamiya-M42-lenses can be mounted to an M42-EOS-adapter but the aperture ring cannot be turned then. Perhaps that was also a reason...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe a little paint? Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Auto Mamiya SX 55mm f1.7 which I wanted to use on my Pentax dSLR via M42 adapter.

- first I could not mount it properly at all because after a few turns, abt. halfway to be properly mounted, it's pin would lock into the gap of the adapters, the one which houses it's lock. Once this problem was solved it
- secondly would mount with it's aperture ring that tight on the camera body making it impossible to set apertures ( unless I unscrewed the lens a bit first )

I have not yet sanded down the aperture ring and thus have not used the lens at all.

Could it be that all Auto Mamiya SX have the same problem, at least when mounted on a Pentax m42 > K mount adapter? From what I see here: http://freenet-homepage.de/stauber/mamiya-nc/m42_lenses.htm I would suppose so. But from how the Auto Mamiya ( non SX ) look I suppose that those might not have these mounting problems.

( curious now if I will have success in removing the aperture ring first to do a better job grinding )

regards,
kuuan - andreas

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andreas,

Not all Mamiya SX lenses have this problem. I have the 90-230 zoom and that one is OK on an M42->PK adapter after removing the pin - which is a reversible operation on that lens, but not on some of the others.

I have the 28/2.8 SX also, and that one looks like it will give trouble.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
I have a Auto Mamiya SX 55mm f1.7 which I wanted to use on my Pentax dSLR via M42 adapter.

- first I could not mount it properly at all because after a few turns, abt. halfway to be properly mounted, it's pin would lock into the gap of the adapters, the one which houses it's lock. Once this problem was solved it
- secondly would mount with it's aperture ring that tight on the camera body making it impossible to set apertures ( unless I unscrewed the lens a bit first )

I have not yet sanded down the aperture ring and thus have not used the lens at all.

Could it be that all Auto Mamiya SX have the same problem, at least when mounted on a Pentax m42 > K mount adapter? From what I see here: http://freenet-homepage.de/stauber/mamiya-nc/m42_lenses.htm I would suppose so. But from how the Auto Mamiya ( non SX ) look I suppose that those might not have these mounting problems.

( curious now if I will have success in removing the aperture ring first to do a better job grinding )

regards,
kuuan - andreas

I have a 55mm Auto Sears/Sekor SX 1.8. It has the pin and flange problem. I havent had the heart to grind it down, it just sits on my shelf and goes unused. I would modify it if I could do it right. I wouldnt just hack it like my neighbor did.

Last edited by spiralcity on Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mflex-on wrote:
I fear some people will be happy to stone your neighbour for desecration of a lens Wink

Yeah, when I first saw the lens, my jaw dropped. The lens however does work and can be used now, so thats a plus.

My neighbor has decided to go the auto-focus route. he had enough after this experience with the Mamiya, plus he claims his eyes are too bad for the MF lenses.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this message is outdated and deleted!

Last edited by Aykman on Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aykman wrote:
Ouch!

I cant take that! Horrible.....and its even not a special lens.

Lens slaughter! He should go in the "photo jail" Smile

cheers

Ayk

The SX lenses are quite sharp and good performers.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my Zenitar 16/2.8 Fisheye.
Had to cut down the back filter a bit with a dremel since it was hitting the mirror on my 5D. Not as bad as original posters lens. Razz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

omg ! Shocked

that lens looks so raw and unrefined !

what the heck if it gives you good images Laughing

i just grind my Fujifilm 55mm f2.2 , it got a small protruding tab.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yikes!!!!! Call the SPCL. (Society For The Prevention of Cruelty to Lenses) They should at least spank his hand and take his grinder license away!!!!