Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Printer woes...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:40 pm    Post subject: Printer woes... Reply with quote

My Canon iP3000 Pixma decided to give up the ghost recently (right in the
middle of trying to print out an USPS shipping label Mad). So last night I ordered
an Epson C88+ with another set of ink cartridges that cost almost as
much as the printer itself. I think I was being penny wise and pound foolish
getting 3rd party inks. If you don't print a lot, getting the OEM stuff is a
smarter deal, according to a friend of mine.

I didn't want a really top quality printer for what few photos I'd want printed
out. I've been steadily raking together stuff for a darkroom, want to try
wet prints now that I have the enlarger.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ink prices are relative, I tell myself. I figure, a few beers at a bar costs more than printing several large prints.

But then, there's a ready place made of porcelain for the beers when I'm done with them, whereas prints? I run out of wall Laughing

Sorry about the printer woe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had several Epsons which were "high end" at the time, but it seems like something always went wrong mechanically, and the inks were notorious for clogging up. Then I got an HP high-end which worked very well, but again, the inks were costly, thought they didn't dry out like the Epson.

Now I just use MPix, and I frankly feel that their output for me is superb. I don't do more than half a dozen prints per year at 16x20 to 24x36, and probably a dozen or so at 8x10 and 11x14. The cost is still cheaper than the "running" of my printers over time, but that's just the secenario in my case.

I am doing three prints at 24x36 to go above the staircase on the blank wall, but that is unusual size and amount for me all at once. Total cost with mounting, frame, mat, and glass will run at $300 which isn't all that bad. I couldn't have used any of my printers at that size of enlargement, of course.

I don't know...I just feel it's easier to have them done rather than fool with the printer and inks and papers....and TIME that it takes for me. Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear ya - I bought an Epson R1800 a few years ago, not realizing I wouldn't be printing all that many all that large, and that in fact I'd on occasion want larger. When it eventually dies, I probably won't go with such a large one again.

mpix? that's a good recommendation. I've also been wondering about Adorama pix...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd come to the same conclusion myself, after looking at a continuous ink system for mine. When I actually worked out how much it would cost per print over the course of a year, it is cheaper to send them out for printing and I don't get the hassle of maintaining and topping up the printer. Plus, a decent dye-sub from an online place is miles better than any inkjet output, in my opinion.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside wrote:
I'd come to the same conclusion myself, after looking at a continuous ink system for mine. When I actually worked out how much it would cost per print over the course of a year, it is cheaper to send them out for printing and I don't get the hassle of maintaining and topping up the printer. Plus, a decent dye-sub from an online place is miles better than any inkjet output, in my opinion.

Same here.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Canon Pixma that died on me cost $35 off the bay and the one I'm getting
from Epson is only $85, plus $60 for another set of ink cartridges.
I need the printer to print out proof of car insurance tags, reports for work,
and shipping labels besides the VERY occasional pic print.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill, that certainly seems pretty good!

Regarding MPix, I think the really nice thing for me, is that I don't have to go find the printer compatibility formulas. In fact, they advise just giving them the print with no resolution change from the original digital scan or image. They prefer to match up with their own RGB printer.

So, on the three larger prints, I simply scanned them in at 2400dpi, then in Photoshop Elements, I just sized them for 24x36 and 200ppi, leaving the actual resolution alone.

Also, they say to go ahead and sharpen...but not to oversharpen, as their printer has codes that will look at the image and sharpen as needed.