Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Helios 44M - The backside of the Golden Gate
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:55 am    Post subject: Helios 44M - The backside of the Golden Gate Reply with quote

I hit the beaches in SF with my two young daughters... I had to take all of the towels, blankets, food/drink and beach toys.
So it was a '1 lens only' trip. The Helios 44M got the nod (it usually does) and I think it did OK.

This is the side of the bridge you don't see as much of. The first shot is taken on the 17th tee of the Lincoln Park municipal Golf course.

And a couple from Baker Beach

This is Ocean Beach near the Cliff House and Camera Obscura

I thought this guy was a daredevil fisherman, until I say the guys behind him on the cliff below the Camera Obscura...

Here is the Cliff House and the Camera Obscura

We had a great afternoon, thanks for looking.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great mini trip, nice pics
water seems warm and children enjoy!
ps: where is the bird?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots. The water looks very inviting.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some really nice contrast from this lens, nice pictures. What camera are you using with the lens? I find that with the crop cameras (specifically the 1.6 multiplier on canons) it's a lot more difficult to use the 50mm as an all-in-one lens.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice series Gus looks like a fine day out too, have to love the Helios 44

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice spot and very refreshing pictures. Great rendition.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great shots, Gus.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject: Thanks everyone for the comments Reply with quote

You all are too kind and supportive on this forum... putting up with my family snaps. But I do appreciate it, each and everytime. Very Happy

poilu - the water is far from warm... but the kids still enjoy it. As for birds, I did get some shots of some pelicans flying by, but since it was with the 58mm lens it is a tight crop... I may post later

Sichko - the water was beautiful that day, but it is cold, and there is a deceptive riptide at that beach so... I am not sure about inviting Smile

Dave t - I was using the Pentax K20 and it is a 1.5 crop factor. The 58mm helios is a less than perfect 'one lens' answer. In a perfect world would have brought something a bit wider for the bridge and ocean shots. But the whole purpose of the beach days with the kids are "the kids" so the 58mm works well for those shots. ( and I have about a hundred of those I did not post) Very Happy Thanks for the kind comments

Poolhall, hexi and mike, thanks for taking to time to look and comment. I do love the helios, it really did sort of resurrect my interest in these MF lenses and I have not looked back.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some cracking shots, Gus. That is a view of the bridge I've hardly seen, right enough.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots!
But the title: I thought "backside" was something different. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lovely collection of photos there Gus.
But were the fishermen catching anything and if so, what?
I'm surprised they were using such short rods.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:45 am    Post subject: Dave - LucisPictor - xjjohnno Reply with quote

Thanks all

Dave that is my favorite side of the bridge, far fewer tour buses. Plus that view from the 17th green of the city golf course
is one of my favorite SF places... costs 22 dollars to golf if you are a resident of the city... Shocked
And "crackin" thats funny...

LucisPictor - I will admit I was playing on San Francisco's reputation a bit here with the title Wink

xjjohnno
I saw the guy with the hat, come by later with a good size stripper (stripped bass, not a stripper Razz ) but I did not see anyone
on the cliff catch any. But with a 4 and 7 year, old my eyes were pretty fixed on the waves.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you have a polarizer on the lens?

Great but "different" shots of that world famous bridge.

Pete