Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

VueScan #*@(#!!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:36 am    Post subject: VueScan #*@(#!! Reply with quote

I just can't understand vuescan... the cropping- I'm just now trying out it again on 35mm b&w, when I set the frames they line up good... but the scans are offset to the left so I miss the frames! Plus the damn thing comes out with strange colors... I know about locking the film base, just didn't feel like doing it this time. Oh and the damn scans take forever... with the three pass stuff... bah

But for me vuescan is unintelligible, I'd love to get it to work, but that cropping... never did get the hang of it. Anyone got any hints?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Shocked Shocked OMG, it scanned the two I thought I told it to... took like 20 minutes to do it... and... it's ALIVE... it's keeping on scanning something more... Heeelllpppp Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you can set it to do one pass if you want, and if you switch off the grain reduction and dust thing that saves a pass. But then you probably need that.
I agree, it does take an age. But although silverfast, for example is quicker I prefer the results from vuescan. I suppose it depends on the scanner a bit as well?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One problem with it is that the preview screen's not very good - I had it on 35mm multi image, and thought I'd selected two frames... seems VueScan had decided to splice up the entire strip on its own. Without any indication on the preview.

Scanning one frame at a time seems to work for me.

I was doing the multi pass for the increased dmax, I have dust removal & grain reduction turned off on principle, plus this was b&w film.

Probably I'll do the quick Epson scans, and then if any image seems to have potential I'll try it with VueScan.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm lucky in that I've had good luck with the simple Epson scanning program. I have heard though, that Vuescan can be a very good way to go.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like all the extra bells and whistles with VueScan, and so far it's been fairly straightforward to use, but I generally don't fiddle with it much.
Otoh, the supplied Epson s/w is pretty good at what it does.
What I'd like in VueScan is for it to over-ride the scanning area on my 4490, ie if I could force it to read a backlit area bigger than MF, so that I can scan LF with a top transparency unit. With LF (5x4) I'm going to have to dual scan and stitch or go back to scanning negs as reflective material with a backlight. It works, but it's not as good.