Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What is most important..?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:50 pm    Post subject: What is most important..? Reply with quote

Shooting analog using 135mm film what is most important for picture quality?

My guess:

1: lens
2: film
3: body

Same with digital:

1: body
2: lens

I know there are lots of others issues but play along Smile

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What is most impotent..? Reply with quote

lahnet wrote:
Shooting analog using 135mm film what is most impotent for picture quality?

As an aside, you mean "important" ; "impotent" in this context means something the opposite of what you intend...

You don't say what kind of quality you have in mind, whether technical or aesthetic, but it's probably reasonable to assume you mean technical, otherwise 'the photographer' should have been on your list.

Other things being equal (which they often aren't), I'd say a lens and the lighting. The human eye can accommodate a variety of image 'qualities' if the picture is well composed, and one of the first things I notice is the lighting ; I find it hard to 'rescue' a picture where the lighting is drab and flat.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lahnet,

Many years ago I wrote an article on how the Linn Theory, originally for sound reproduction, applied to photography, and found a parallel.

Before the 1970s, people believed that in an audio system, the loudspeakers are the most important, then the amplifier, and the signal source - as in the turntable - is the least. However, the Scottish company Linn turned it around: when data is passed through a system, every subsequent stage imparts its imperfection to the data, and no subsequent unit can make up for the data loss. So, the turntable is the most important, and the speakers the least. Even in a turntable, the turntable unit is the most important, followed by the tonearm, then then cartridge.

I found an uncanny parallel in the enlarger. The negative carrier and light source would be the most important, as it generates the original signal: if the negative is not held flat and not evenly lit, the print would never be satisfactory. Next comes the accuracy of the enlarger's structure and alignment; if it is not accurate, such as the optical axis of the enlarging lens is not perpendicular to both negative stage and easel, then the finest enlarging lens would not give satisfactory results.

However, I did not seem to find a clear-cut parallel in the picture-taking phase, perhaps you can think of something?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I am thinking hardware, if we begin to include lightning we have to include motive etc.

I just sometimes think it´s funny/stange we discuss how this lens have a beautiful bokeh, or that film have nice colors.

We almost never tack about how a camera (film) influent IQ.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What is most important..? Reply with quote

lahnet wrote:

Having made many mistakes since my debuts , i can easily say : precise light measuring ! then a correct focus, then the lens. Photography is easy Cool

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: What is most important..? Reply with quote

lahnet wrote:

My guess:

1: lens
2: film
3: body

Same with digital:

1: body
2: lens

I know there are lots of others issues but play along Smile

Well I think you have to narrow it down to:-

Best lens
Best film
Best body
and perfect lighting conditions

I'd select the lens, for analog.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think next:

#1 film

#2 perfect lighting

#3 accurate light measure

#4 lens

#5 process.

#6 body is doesn't matter.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Subject

everything else is just everything else without it Wink

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
1. Subject

Hahaha YES!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ditto on subject, then luck

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
1. Subject

Laughing Laughing Very true!

But Lahnet, I agree, the body is not very important when you shoot on film, but it is essential when you shoot digitally.
Even the best lens cannot produce a decent photo when the sensor is total crap.
OK, even the best sensor... But then, are there any lenses that are really crap? I mean, really? So bad that you won't ever use it?
Even the worst lenses I had were capable of producing some decent photos.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your eye...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I'm over-sensitive to the third and fourth quint of pixels from the top right corner in a sensor. As far as I'm concerned, if these aren't right the whole photo is crap. And this extends to the lens - it must have the 3-d and contrast curves just so in that location, not to mention peaking with its resolution at f/2.8-3.5. For I only shoot at f/2.8-3.5, occasionally at f/4. Incredibly, the 2MP Minolta Dimage X managed this feat to near perfection, I loved that camera even though it got 2.5 photos per battery charge. The worst camera in this respect is a tie between the full frame Canons and Nikons... you'd think these manufacturers could get one simple thing right, but no.

With film, my sensitivity to this quadrant is far less with a) 120 film b) uncoated lenses 3) single coated German lenses made in odd numbered years.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think, for digital, body and lens are equal.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
Personally, I'm over-sensitive to the third and fourth quint of pixels from the top right corner in a sensor. As far as I'm concerned, if these aren't right the whole photo is crap. And this extends to the lens - it must have the 3-d and contrast curves just so in that location, not to mention peaking with its resolution at f/2.8-3.5. For I only shoot at f/2.8-3.5, occasionally at f/4. Incredibly, the 2MP Minolta Dimage X managed this feat to near perfection, I loved that camera even though it got 2.5 photos per battery charge. The worst camera in this respect is a tie between the full frame Canons and Nikons... you'd think these manufacturers could get one simple thing right, but no.

With film, my sensitivity to this quadrant is far less with a) 120 film b) uncoated lenses 3) single coated German lenses made in odd numbered years.

Surprised

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
Nesster wrote:

Surprised

I really didn't pick some points up, Nesster . ...

Can you explain that 'sensivity' you have, please. It might help to me.

Thanks.

tf

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wink Wink Laughing

My Linn turntable's lost its mojo, as I haven't used it for a couple of years (and our dove loves to sit on it).

So I jest.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really had some doubt about something by reading your words Smile

tf

Last edited by trifox on Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad I did not say anything.
Could not tell if you were having a piss or .......... your marbles rolled under the couch. Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camera
Film
Lens
?

It's EXPOSURE, and understanding it...

Be it film or digital.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, the Linn surprise is behind me now, I'll have to find my spare belt before worrying it's the electronics or the motor.

However, the Linn model points out 'garbage in garbage out' is operative in hi-fi. For photography - leaving aside the 'real world' I'd argue the lens is most important... whatever you lose in the lens you don't really get back in the rest of the chain. If Linn made cameras they might argue that the body/lens/film plane is the most critical to get right Wink As Linn makes digital players, they'd further argue the sensor + software are also important.

In practice, every system has its weak point... if the lens is fantastic, and the film's awesome, then perhaps there are mechanical weaknesses, and so on.

Linn also pointed out that measurements alone could not tell whether the system was good or not. You had to listen, and see if your toes started tapping (the system plays tunes and doesn't mess with rhythmic integrity... this at a time when tone and frequency response was king).

Photographically, this means to me: does the camera/lens/film make photographs that involve one's emotions easily? Is there life and a sense of roundness to the image?

Given a basic competency of camera bodies, I'd say lens first, then film or sensor.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even the most exclusive and exquisite lenses and cameras are just expensive paperweights without a good photographer to use them. It's like cooking: if you invited a friend to come over for a good meal (cooked carefully by you with fresh ingredients from several sources), wouldn't you feel insulted if he tells you that the food was very tasty and that he wants to know what brand of pans and spoons you are using?

Likewise: if someone likes my photos, I feel insulted when he/she tells me that I surely must use a good camera because I constantly get great results. As if my camera and lens is responsible for the photos and not I, the photographer.

Remember: equipment is nothing without someone to master it Cool

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
Remember: equipment is nothing without someone to master it Cool

Look photos of Luiseallegria almost all taken with dirt cheap lenses and he got what a result!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Look photos of Luiseallegria almost all taken with dirt cheap lenses and he got what a result!

don't forget Laurence, he used everything from p&s to medium format and the result is always the same
as I cannot put a Luis in my bag, I prefer to carry some nice lenses

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
Attila wrote:

don't forget Laurence, he used everything from p&s to medium format and the result is always the same
as I cannot put a Luis in my bag, I prefer to carry some nice lenses

Laughing Laughing