Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Surprise find today - Edixa-Mat Kadett
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:36 pm    Post subject: Surprise find today - Edixa-Mat Kadett Reply with quote

Took some clothes to our local charity shop today and they had quite a few bits of photo gear on display! Lots of Minolta gear and a Hanimex 300mm f5.6 Tokina jobbie. However, the Edixa took my attention because it looks like an M42 mount version and there was a Stenheil 85/2.8 in M42 mount included with a hood! There was a chap behind me hovering around so I purchased as I want to try out the 85mm prime.

I looked this lot up when I got back, and it is indeed M42. The lens on the camera is an Auto Cassaron 50/2.8 with stop down lever. Also bundled in were loads of extension tubes, a Weston Master III, yellow metal kodak film holder and extra viewfinder thing!

Not a bad haul I reckon.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That camera is beautiful... never heard of it... but that's a very nice bit of charity work Wink

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a complex country.
Pros: You can take your dog to a pub and find Edixa-Mat in a charity shop.
Cons: Lots of rain and police arrests you for using the Edixa-Mat.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
You have a complex country.
Pros: You can take your dog to a pub and find Edixa-Mat in a charity shop.
Cons: Lots of rain and police arrests you for using the Edixa-Mat.

So true Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Nice find!
That Steinheil lens is a gem!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Wow! Nice find!

Oooh do you know these lenses? Which is best? I heard somewhere that a 2cm extension tube will give you 1:1 macro with the 50/2.8, not sure if that's true?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is an interesting lot !

The Steinheil 85 is supposed to be pretty good, but more than that it is a very handsome piece.

Edixas of this vintage are very good looking cameras, and their prices are surprisingly high in the US. Collectors I suppose.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice find! Shocked

Can I be in your will Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrahamNR17 wrote:
Nice find! Shocked

Can I be in your will Very Happy

Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster,

The Edixa reflex was very common in Europe as it's a lower-priced (West) German reflex camera with M42 mount. The story is here:

http://home19.inet.tele.dk/riess/gewir.html

I used a Kadett years ago, and even did a bit of press work with it. When it worked it was a very satisfying machine to use, but the engineering was a bit rough and ready. Nevertheless, they sourced lenses from the West German makers so the series was supported by these lens makers as a good outlet for their products, and Edixa "original" lenses were from makers including Steinheil, Isco, Enna, Rodenstock, Schacht, Kilfitt and Schneider, with quality ranging from "OK" to "stunning".

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an Edixa-Mat Reflex with 50/2 Westagon which I haven't gotten
around to using yet. It's virtually the same camera as yours I believe.

The M42 mount is slightly different in that when non-Edixa lenses are
mounted they don't end up oriented with top position centered. This
can cause the auto-aperture to not function properly (if your Edixa
has that feature).

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A JACKPOT ! congrats!!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shrek wrote:
LucisPictor wrote:
Wow! Nice find!

Oooh do you know these lenses? Which is best? I heard somewhere that a 2cm extension tube will give you 1:1 macro with the 50/2.8, not sure if that's true?

I have only shot with the Culminar 2.8/85 and this is a very pleasant lens, not extremely sharp but with a very nice rendering and a good bokeh.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice...
I assume it didn't cost an arm?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside wrote:
Nice...
I assume it didn't cost an arm?

Nope, got a good deal! But...I'm supposed to be selling at the mo, not buying... Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shrek wrote:
...I heard somewhere that a 2cm extension tube will give you 1:1 macro with the 50/2.8, not sure if that's true?...

Magnification = extension/focal length.

So: a 20mm (2cm) extension will give you a 20/50 = 1/2.5 or a x0.4 magnification.

Therefore, to get to 1:1 (or "lifesize"), you will need a 50mm (5cm, or 2") extension. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gotten very little from my local charity shops.

Nice find!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banjo wrote:
Shrek wrote:
...I heard somewhere that a 2cm extension tube will give you 1:1 macro with the 50/2.8, not sure if that's true?...

Magnification = extension/focal length.

So: a 20mm (2cm) extension will give you a 20/50 = 1/2.5 or a x0.4 magnification.

Therefore, to get to 1:1 (or "lifesize"), you will need a 50mm (5cm, or 2") extension. Smile

Ahh, it must have been 2" then, not 2cm! That's fine as I already have a load of those Laughing

Thanks for your help

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

those are some nice gear, congratulations. Looking at what you have been buying, it looks like you live in MF heaven.

looking forward for some pics.