Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Amazed about the Pentacon 50/1.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 9:16 pm    Post subject: Amazed about the Pentacon 50/1.8 Reply with quote

Frankly, I always considered my Pentacon 50/1.8 as a "not too good" lens. It was a 5 euro lens, so no harm done Smile

But today I took it out with me, and used it to make some pictures in Utrecht. I must admit that I am pretty much amazed! Of course it's not a super lens, but it is far better than I had expected.

Look at the full size image of a gondelier (spelling?) in the Utrecht canals:

http://www.ipernity.com/doc/jthole/4982817/sizes/o

Canon 30D (shot in RAW)
Canon DPP processing:
"Landscape" picture style
Sharpness 3
Contrast 0

Shot with f/8 (the lens turns out to be pretty good from f/4 and up)

For easier viewing, here is the small version Smile

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No bad lens made in Russia and East Germany even if they are cheap this is generally true as you have clear evidence , this lens me surprised also. Nice samples congrats!

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Amazed about the Pentacon 50/1.8 Reply with quote

eeyore_nl wrote:
Shot with f/8 (the lens turns out to be pretty good from f/4 and up)

I agree Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not super lens? OK.

I used for 15 years the summicron M 50/2, the best 50 lens of the history, and the pentacon 50 too (for @ 20 years) I had both simultaneously and can tell you that at F/ 8 and 11 the differences are very, very subtles, and at F/4 and 5,6 centers you have to see the slides with a lupe 30 x to see the differences, that they are there, yes, but very subtles, more in contrast.

It's a very good every day use lens: Focus from 33 cm, F/1,8 is usefull for the 90 % of the situations to take a pic, It's easy to dissamble and clean, relube, etc.

In MF we know that not always cheap is synonymous of bad quality.

Congratulation for your pentaqcon. You have a very good lens.

Rino.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superb sample!

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subfanatic wrote:
I really love this lens, it's amongst my favorite 50mm primes. The "cheapness" factor is probably due to abundance - there's a bunch of them on the market - and there are many versions too. The one I have looks just like a Zeiss Pancolar, it's very good at f1.8, very contrasty and sharp like a hell from f2.8 up. It makes my EF-S 60mm f2.8 Macro look like a Domiplan, and that's a really tough job Wink

The sample was taken with Canon 300D @f2.8 (JPEG directly from the camera, sharpness +3, contrast +1).

Subfanatic, great sample. You make the lens worth like 50 euro.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats one pretty cat... It looks the wild cat! Surprised

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subfanatic wrote:

That's one WILD cat!!

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same experience with the Pentacon 50mm 1.8
I also have the one looking like a pancolor.

Subfanatic - Great picture of the cat.

/Jan

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very good samples and the cat is lovely.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice samples!
blue cat is superb!

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most 50mm prime lenses are very good. Maybe people today forget that the 50mm was the "standard" lens and for decades they were supplied with every 35mm SLR. That meant economies of scale allowed high quality at a reasonable cost.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 9:16 am    Post subject: Oreston 1.8/50 Reply with quote

I have an older Oreston 1.8/50, the predecessor of the Pentacon lens. There is some sort of glowing in the pictures with the aperture wide open.
This can be a disadvantage, but for me it is an advantage. Portraits can be silky smooth, combined with the nearest focussing distance you can "paint" almost surreal looking pictures.

mflex

Last edited by mflex-on on Sun May 31, 2009 10:43 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good lens apart from many copies have oily aperture blades so check before you buy.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
A good lens apart from many copies have oily aperture blades so check before you buy.

Super cat!!

You catch the moment.

Oily blades? You can buy it and clean the blades in less than 5 min.

It's among the best lenses to play as "repaiman".

Rino.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subfanatic wrote:

Haha Very Happy The looks can deceive sometimes, he's in fact very cuddly and loves kids Smile

He's not allowed to see you? Laughing

Very sharp and colorful picture!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find my copy is sharp at f3.5 and wide open its quite nice for portraits. Heres some more samples.

1. Chives (f5.6)

2. Flower Patch (f7.1)

3. an insect on a chive (f3.5 or f2.8 i cant remember)

2. Larch tree. I like the out of focus effect wide open.

See the full set here

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

landyman wrote:

2. Larch tree. I like the out of focus effect wide open.

The OOF effects wide open are bizarre indeed Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very glowing but nevertheless sharp

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This cat is wonderful . Is it a "Russian Blue" ? (Same green eyes) . Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subfanatic

That is one of the most beautiful cats and one of the best cat shots ever!

I really only did some test shots with the Pentacon when I got it, but I liked what I saw. After seeing all these beautiful shots with it, I really need to go back and shoot for a week with it to get a better feel for it.
Here are a few of my shots.

Love the oof area on this one, sometimes the spacey oof works.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always ignore this one after Pancolar and SMC. I have to check and re-rank mine.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We "aficionados" of Meyer lenses aren't surprised at all... I far prefer the Oreston and its late Pentacon version that every Pentax, Canon and also Nikon 50 mm. It can beats the Contax Zeiss 50/1.4 planar bokeh wise every day too.

Too often we're attracted by sharpness but a shot is a lot more than this and bokeh and color rendering are far more important to me.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A G Photography wrote:
We "aficionados" of Meyer lenses aren't surprised at all... I far prefer the Oreston and its late Pentacon version that every Pentax, Canon and also Nikon 50 mm. It can beats the Contax Zeiss 50/1.4 planar bokeh wise every day too.

Too often we're attracted by sharpness but a shot is a lot more than this and bokeh and color rendering are far more important to me.

Hear hear! That's why I now have three of these Laughing Just added to my collection, what must be the transitional lens between Oreston and Pentacon MC, a single-coated Pentacon 50/1.8 without an A/M switch (but a DoF checker switch), that has a knurled focus ring resembling Takumars.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A G Photography wrote:

Hi, Alessandro.

Sometimes I thought about my madness, and the belif in the excelent IQ of the pentacon was one of the manifestation of that madness.

But now see that I'm not the only one Laughing Laughing

Till I know, the zebra oreston is better build. A friend of mine put the MC glass in the zebra body. He did it with the 3,5/135 ZCJ too.

Rino.