Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Wildlife with the Leica 560/6.8 on an EOS body
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:38 pm    Post subject: Wildlife with the Leica 560/6.8 on an EOS body Reply with quote

This lens is a Leica R mount but comes in other Leica mounts. Used a standard Fotodiox adapter.

The lens is a simple 2 element long tube design but does deliver the goods. It is very long but not too heavy. Focuses with a slide action.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my oh my oh my what AMAZING image quality!
and of course, excellent photos also!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TWO elements. Wow.

The white stork-like bird ones are great! The others are pretty good too (although I don't care for the background in the photo with a small brown bird on barbed wire.)

For such a long focal length too, these are excellent.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe it ! Amazing!!! Many thanks for sharing!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#3 has a 3-dimensionality that is almost unbelievable.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please post also the rabbit !!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisLilley wrote:
TWO elements. Wow.

The white stork-like bird ones are great! The others are pretty good too (although I don't care for the background in the photo with a small brown bird on barbed wire.)

Yeah, the little buggers wouldn't sit still for me. That was a grab shot with a distracting background. I love shooting birds on barb wire but prefer a clean, smooth background

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:12 pm    Post subject: The rabbit Reply with quote

Missed focus a bit, got the ears sharp but the eye is soft

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: The rabbit Reply with quote

jamesdak wrote:

I love it anyway, thanks! Very Happy

We call these "lepri" there is at least one of them living amongst the scrubs on the hill in front of my father's house.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excelents all. Especially Ns. 3 and 4.

Which F/ did you use more?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Congrats James. You have a super winner. The photography is beautiful as well. Thanks for sharing these images.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats James! very nice results and nice shots

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fabulous pictures !

And that lens must be the chief of the "wundertute" !

And excellent work also. It takes patience and skill to get those sharp bird pictures with a long lens, no matter the quality.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:
Excelents all. Especially Ns. 3 and 4.

Which F/ did you use more?

I shot in the f/8 to f/16 range all day.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Egret series is fantastic, and I do like the bird on a wire (reminds me of
the Lennie Cohen song), well done! Love the colors in these, too.

Bill

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh My !!! This is unbelivable... !! Amazing quality !
brilliant shots !!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamesdak wrote:
ChrisLilley wrote:
TWO elements. Wow.

Yeah, the little buggers wouldn't sit still for me. That was a grab shot with a distracting background. I love shooting birds on barb wire but prefer a clean, smooth background

Well, we can't always pick our backgrounds. The bird itself and the wire is a very nice capture. The composition is also interesting.

What sort of size is this lens?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's pretty long. Easily closing in on two feet with the hood extended.

I'll try to snap a shot of it tonight and post it.

One downside to it is that the slide focusing mechanism is out at the end. So, your movement to focus it may scare some wildlife if using it in a blind. The Tripod mount is right near the body and does not rotate itself. But there is a mechanical catch you can release to rotate the orientation with. You have a set number of stops to this rotation so it is not as effective as a normal tripod ring. Oh, there is a slot for drop in filters in the center of the lens.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James

Terrific shots and what a lens!

patrickh

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible for you to post a picture of the Lens and some markings? I would love to find this myself and give it a whirl.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I happen to like the background with the bird on a wire, but I am a rebel Laughing

They are all wonderful shots, thanks for sharing them.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisLilley wrote:
What sort of size is this lens?

As it is a plain achromatic doublet, then the length of the optical path is equal to the focal length (no telephoto). Therefore, this lens should be more than 50cm long.

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: The rabbit Reply with quote

jamesdak wrote:

What a shame... as my attention is directed to just a common, everyday, pair of ears. WOW Shocked

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, there are three version s of this 560/6.8 lens, one for Leica R, one for Leica M using a Visoflex (maybe there are different versions of these) and one for use with the Novoflex PiGriff rapidfocus system. I've got the last version, easy to adapt to any camera as you can still get any Novoflex mount new and used. I use a Nikon or Olympus mount with a chipped adapter on my Canon 30D. Relatively lightweight but quite long and the focus system takes some getting used to.

There is also an older 560/5.6 Telyt that Leitz made with their own rapidfocus system called Televit. A friend of mine has one - it's a lot heavier and not quite as easy to focus - at least not in my hands, maybe with practice..

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to buy this lens, some time in the future, who knows when.