Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

The LTM Jupiter 9 on Pana G1
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 4:30 pm    Post subject: The LTM Jupiter 9 on Pana G1 Reply with quote

Some testshot again, now only with jupiter9. All is ISO 100, all with 100% crop too.

Have to add contrast and some sharpening.

Hope my pana tests not too boring for you, thank you for visiting!

Last edited by csaba369 on Mon May 11, 2009 4:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep comming! I am so amazed!

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really interesting!
The photos (eps. the first one) look great, but the 100% crops are a little disappointing, to be honest. A lot of noise and washed details. I expected the G1 sensor to be better.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Really interesting!
The photos (eps. the first one) look great, but the 100% crops are a little disappointing, to be honest. A lot of noise and washed details. I expected the G1 sensor to be better.

I think testing the sensor with an old L39 lens is not the best way...Smile

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One camera can't solve every requirement perfectly.
If I have endless money I should take following cameras.

#1 Canon 5D MKII full frame, exceptional image quality
#2 Sigma SD 14 due exceptional colors , image quality
#3 G1 due most compatible digital camera from all.

I really think about to take this camera or Samsung NX (Alex did suggest me long time ago and he has absolutely right NX has smaller crop factor...)

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really nice real-world tests. The images of the locomotives with the wires running every which way, are actually unique and quite nice!

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Laurence!

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you csaba369.

Where [city] is that rail yard?

Mmmmm, I see Alco - Siemens - and that old east stuff....very interesting.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

magnet-2009 wrote:
Thank you csaba369.

Where [city] is that rail yard?

Mmmmm, I see Alco - Siemens - and that old east stuff....very interesting.

Budapest, Hungary.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are living in a museum , old historical buildings, old train and damn "old" political system..

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love shots of railway yards and tele-compressed ones at that. Smile

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

csaba369 wrote:
LucisPictor wrote:
Really interesting!

I think testing the sensor with an old L39 lens is not the best way...Smile

I actually doubt that it is caused by the "old" lens, I rather think it shows a bad JPEG handling of the cam.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say that the camera or conversion settings aren't optimal (maybe combination of sharpening and noise reduction?). I can't say, I haven't this camera in my hands.

If I remember correctly, Panasonic tries to avoid bayer artifacting, so debayering and processing algorithms are developed with this in mind. One of side results is slightly softer image at default settings when compared to e.g. Canon, which has higher default sharpness, but is more prone to bayer artifacting.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:

I actually doubt that it is caused by the "old" lens, I rather think it shows a bad JPEG handling of the cam.

The format is raw! On my 350D the industar 61 produces much more noise than Canon L lenses with the same settings. On the other hand needed a lot of additional contrast, and more sharpening which increases the noise much! The conclusion: Russian L39 lenses not ideal for digital - but it's interesting, so I do it...Smile So this is a jupiter test, not a pana test!

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

csaba369 wrote:
LucisPictor wrote:

The format is raw! On my 350D the industar 61 produces much more noise than Canon L lenses with the same settings. On the other hand needed a lot of additional contrast, and more sharpening which increases the noise much! The conclusion: Russian L39 lenses not ideal for digital - but it's interesting, so I do it...Smile So this is a jupiter test, not a pana test!

Hmmm I have a shot made yesterday with an Helios 40 with L39 mount on the canon 5d MkII and it's high quality just like I had used an L Canon lens ( prefer Helios 40 to Canon 85/1.4 L, btw), I can also show you other shots made with a Jupiter 9 in L39 mount that are perfectly good too.

The problem is the sensor, not the lens. The 3/4 sensor already has a lot more of noise compared to larger ones (I know it, I have an Oly e410), add to it the CONTINUOS live view function that increases the heat of the sensor and its noise consequentially. Even if they tell that sensor overheating for continuos liveview is a solved problem, these shots show that it's not 100% solved.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the noise difference between manual and AF lens is inexact exposure metering with non-AF lenses. If the body underexposures the image and then corrects exposure during processing, noise can be more obvious.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noisy or not, I like it, really a good cam for my MF lenses. It shows me quite well the bokeh type, colors of a lens and some info about sharpness before I use it on film. 5D and a lot other DSLR are better, certainly...but how can use L39, C mount etc. on them?

If I'll found a full frame digi with such a little register distance, such an easy focusing etc. I'll buy it...Smile

The overall picture quality is better then my ex 350D, so I'm happy with it...Smile

The ccd noise doesn't depends on lens optical resolution (lines/mm)?

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to buy m4/3 in the future, too, so I'm happy to see your results Smile

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noX has some samples in the next thread from a J9, which suggest that the problem may be with the sensor. His are much cleaner with fewer artifacts and less noise.

patrickh

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A G Photography wrote:

Hmmm I have a shot made yesterday with an Helios 40 with L39 mount on the canon 5d MkII and it's high quality just like I had used an L Canon lens ( prefer Helios 40 to Canon 85/1.4 L, btw), I can also show you other shots made with a Jupiter 9 in L39 mount that are perfectly good too.

Alessandro! Was it really an LTM (rangefinder) lens? Helios 40 for zorki, fed etc??? Or it was a zenit m39? I think the m39 and l39 jupiter 9 is quite another lens. For example the register distance is 28.8/45.46.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
noX has some samples in the next thread from a J9, which suggest that the problem may be with the sensor. His are much cleaner with fewer artifacts and less noise.

patrickh

It's an m39 lens too, not a rangefinder one as I see.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

L39 is the mount of old Zenit SLR, M39 is leica like thread mount for RF.