Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Testing the SMC 100 MACRO
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject: Testing the SMC 100 MACRO Reply with quote

In the last 2 weeks I was testing the manual SMC A 100mm MACRO 2.8 a lot. Those are the first RAWs which I just converted, more will follow in the next few days (poor you guys Smile ).
A very nice to hande lens, huge and accurate focus ring.
The results are always very saturned and sharp. Nice for flower shots for my taste.
Composing is still very difficult for me, I am not used to Macro at all ...

Bohek is creamy and heavy, diffrent to the most other SMCs which I have but very close to SMC A 70-210mm/4 (Macro).

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great results!

How's the sharpness compared to the A70-210?

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks !

My SMC 70-210mm is a sharp lens. No real difference to see if used around 100mm from bokeh, sharpness, color saturnation and contrast.
The Macro function which is available (only) at 70mm is quite handy but of course not possible to focus as close as 100m Macro at all ....

Anyhow my manual combo Vivitar 2x Macro-Teleconverter + SMC 50 1.2
which is then a real 100mm/f 2.4 (!) Macro is great as well but expesive as well (the SMC 50 1.2 is a expensive lens; if you use a SMC 50 1.7 this is a damn cheap combo but the the total is f3.4) . One can go much closer then with SMC A 100mm Macro 2.8.

I posted once a photograph done with this Vivitar/Asahi macro combo which gives very satisfying creamy bokeh:

Cheers
Tobias

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really great samples of the other side of Tobbsman! Seems a very cool lens and really fine examples.

patrickh

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp lens, no doubt (I have that too), but what happened with the contrast in #3 (and a bit in #1)??? Missing sunshade?

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sharp lens, no doubt (I have that too), but what happened with the contrast in #3 (and a bit in #1)??? Missing sunshade?

Yes thats very true Klaus !
It's a very soft version of nr. 3 ...

here's a completely different converted raw from Nr. 3.
different white balance, slight S-curve:

Cheers
Tobias

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Relief!! My world is rotating normally now again!!

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe Laughing Enjoy !

Cheers
Tobias