Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Los Alamos Labs (Atomic program) 1940'50's Instrument Camera
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 7:18 am    Post subject: Los Alamos Labs (Atomic program) 1940'50's Instrument Camera Reply with quote

I don't actually have a use for this, so I will be selling it. A fascinating and historic bit of equipment though !

Los Alamos National Labs (the bomb-makers) developed a lot of its own tools, including cameras for all purposes. This one seems to have been made at the labs, as it lacks all makers trademarks, except for the lens, which is a Bausch&Lomb 57mm f/2. I think this dates back to the 1940's or early 1950's. It could possibly be a Manhattan Project leftover, but I doubt it.

This thing is probably an Oscilloscope (or Oscillograph as they were then known) recording camera, apparently designed for a very large tube. Or it could have been meant for any of a range of other cathode-ray tube instruments also used at the lab. It certainly was not meant for a standard Dumont-type Oscilloscope (before Tektronix and HP took over the Oscillo market, you had Dumont), as they could have bought a Dumont camera for that, and the tubes on those were way smaller than what this beast can handle.

The back is a pretty standard 4x5 spring back with ground-glass, possibly bought from Graflex, as its identical with the one on my Speed Graphic. This camera may predate the use of Polaroid film, as I don't think 4x5 Polaroid backs were available so early. The early Oscillo cameras I know of actually used the Polaroid roll film like the first Land Cameras.

The shutter is operated by a large electric solenoid, and there is a manual open/close knob. It doesn't have speeds set, just an open/close indicator, so I think its meant for timed exposures. This makes sense as without fast Polaroid film they would be forced to use fast emulsions, which weren't very fast.

The body is solid cast aluminum, and the internals are quite crude. This certainly wasn't a polished commercial product !

Its missing its nameplate, but I have seen a picture of it and it is a Los Alamos National Labs property ID.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting bit of kit, indeed. Can't help wondering what role it played and what part it was involved in.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting equipment. Photo 5 and 8 looks like a breech from an artillery gun Laughing

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This camera must be in a museum! I hope you able to sell for $$$$ Many thanks for sharing these pictures!

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's bizarre. I think to have bought it, you have the camera collecting bug in the form of an incurable disease Laughing

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fascinating arcana - what a strange object. Looks like a mortar rather than a camera.

patrickh

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A strange contraption, indeed.
I'd be curious to know what the 7-pin DIN connector was used for.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SkedAddled wrote:
A strange contraption, indeed.
I'd be curious to know what the 7-pin DIN connector was used for.

Must be the shutter solonoid.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes indeed, thats all for the shutter solenoid.

Three pins live to the solenoid, one is a ground.