Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tamron 90SP Model 55BB
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:38 pm    Post subject: Tamron 90SP Model 55BB Reply with quote

I recently acquired a Tamron 90 SP Model 55BB which I'm using on my K100D Super with a PKA mount. The mount mis-aligns when the lens is locked home - I have to ease it back slightly which is a nuisance but tolerable. Oddly enough it works perfectly on my P30. I would have preferred a Model 52B which is physically rather smaller, but this was priced on the cheap side of inexpensive!

There plants were in a garden centre under a roof covering, so the light level was fairly low: aperture f5.6, shutter speeds around 1/100th sec at ISO 400 - not a recipe for maximum sharpness when working handheld. These turned out to be tolerably well focused.

Be nice to borrow the current Pentax equivalent and make some comparisons!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice samples, this is a lovely lens indeed.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had one many years ago and it was a gem,in addition to the macro it is a superb portrait lens as well

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 52B and like the images and the handling of the lens.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, those colors, bokeh and sharpness ... fantastic results

Cheers
Tobias

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems that this whole range of Tamron 90's is good

patrickh

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow the color and sharpness is spot on...
As far as borrowing the latest pentax to compare... I think it would be tough to do any better with the new one. I would think the Vivi Series 1 105 might compare favorably, but you really have a nice copy of the tamron IMO. Tought to beat.

Thanks for sharing these adaptal shots. I only have a couple adaptal lenses but I will be on the lookout for more.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Tamron 90SP Model 55BB Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:
... would have preferred a Model 52B which is physically rather smaller

close to a cm shorter is all.

your nice photos show the sp 90 color and geometric rendition well!

I own both versions. I haven't noticed ANY difference in performance. Optics appear identical, same size front and rear elements, same lavender coating. 52B has all metal body; 52BB has rubber treaded focus ring. 52B takes 49mm filters; 52BB takes 55mm filters, and the body protrudes a cm longer in front. 52B has Takumar-style distance scale; 52BB scale has a window.

I read somplace the BB versions have more coatings than on B lenses, and, that some later B version lenses have the BB coating. Coatings on both mine are the same color, a 52B with BB coating?

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh wow, I think you will have some serious fun with that lens. Nice find Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Tamron 90SP Model 55BB Reply with quote

siriusdogstar wrote:

I read somplace the BB versions have more coatings than on B lenses, and, that some later B version lenses have the BB coating. Coatings on both mine are the same color, a 52B with BB coating?

I'd be interested to see this as the Adaptall-2 site states that they are identical optically.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Tamron 90SP Model 55BB Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
siriusdogstar wrote:

I'd be interested to see this as the Adaptall-2 site states that they are identical optically.

it says "cosmetic redesign" Wink

i can't find the reference to history of Tamron coatings; like other lens manufacturers Tammy constantly kept on improving the coatings over the years, does still, so it seems plausible too, but i remember reading...