Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Surprise lens: pre-1900 E. Krauss Anastigmat on 5D
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:57 pm    Post subject: Surprise lens: pre-1900 E. Krauss Anastigmat on 5D Reply with quote

This certainly is my surprise lens of the year. I bought it for 15 euros, sight unseen, because I wanted to own a brass lens. You cannot go wrong with 15 euros, right?

When I received it I immediately noticed how small it was, but also that the interior was completely hazy. Fortunately, this cleaned up perfectly. Even the diaphragm is smooth and dry...

So what did I get? The name, as found on the lens, is:

Anast.-Zeiss 1:8 f-136m/m Bte Sede E. Krauss & Cie Paris No. 24017.

As per the Vademecum, this lens was designed by Zeiss and made in licence by E. Krauss in Paris. Based on the serial number the lens dates to somewhere around 1896-1898, making it my oldest lens. But by no means the worst! Imagine my disbelief when I went on a walk tonight and returned with the images below. Everything was shot wide open, with the Krauss taped to a M42 bellows, which in turn was mounted on the Canon 5D.

This experience was a real eye opener for me. Will it be the same for you?

Last edited by Spotmatic on Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW, I'm blown away - did the lens designers sleep the 100 years since then???

But since I know you and your work a bit now, a coke bottle bottom would deliver great results in your hands... Wink Wink

Last edited by kds315* on Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i asking myself same quasetion. over 110 years and such pictures Shocked

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang! Never seen this superb quality from this area! Many thanks for sharing!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Completely over the top! It's fascinating and rewarding to see this lens in "action". Your images are easily on a par with modern lenses, at least at these web sizes. Magnificent lens indeed! Shocked

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone! The real surprise, to me, was that the pictures really were this contrasty. I think it has everything to do with the lens being only f/8, so there are no large glass surfaces causing light scattering. Remember, guys, these pictures were shot wide open! The last picture was shot into the sun (although not directly; I used my hand as a sun shade).
The story would have been completely different with a f/2 lens of the same length, I think.

I really liked the experience and would like to use the Krauss a bit more...

@Klaus: I had a laugh because you are not the first to note that I could get good results with any lens. But I cannot make treasure out of trash, so the kudos should go to the Krauss this time Wink

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats spot! at this size, it is indeed impressive

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Astounding!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember, at that times, lenses were designed for photographers. Not for reviewers Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-X wrote:
Remember, at that times, lenses were designed for photographers. Not for reviewers Laughing

How true that is... Sometimes they are too busy studying MTF charts and do not realize that they could have been taking photos instead!

BTW: I have added a picture of the setup in the first post.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:

But since I know you and your work a bit now, a coke bottle bottom would deliver great results in your hands... Wink Wink

Yes, that is precisely the point, Spotmatic isn't a fair game, any lens would look a champion with him Smile

However Zeiss anastigmats (Zeiss invented the name but did not copyright it, so the other manufacturers copied it) have a very good reputation.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope I perform as well at that age!
Peter, you really do make the lenses hum

patrickh

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Spotmatic"]Thanks everyone! The real surprise, to me, was that the pictures really were this contrasty. I think it has everything to do with the lens being only f/8

Exactly - "Moderate Aperture + Care in Computation + Precision Manufacture = High Quality"

It really does look very good indeed, and the pictures themselves are lovely to look at. Maybe we should add "+ An Eye for a Picture" to the equation !

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll echo the "Gee, wow!" sentiments already given.

Who'd have thought such an archaic lens would produce such lovely
and sharp results?

And that's a very elegant mount solution you've come up with, Spot. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm blown away by the results ! Truly inspiring results from this old lens...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect!
It is really joyfull to see some 100 years old lens performs this good.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing, I'm speechless!

I'm sure Spotmatic could use a coke bottle and would get great results Smile

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to come back and look, and I'm still blown away.

I wonder what the results would be with a polarizer? I'm betting the colors and contrast will be enriched even more, at least for some of the images.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I could try a polarizer? I have enough of those here.

By the way, I have decided to make this even more fun as I have just bought a brass Voigtlander lens which, based on the serial number, was made in 1867. No idea if it will be good, as I do not have much information. It does not look like it is complete, but hopefully all elements are there. It's almost 100% sure a Petzval lens. Well, it was very cheap so I cannot complain Smile

It is this one:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! The pics from the first lens are amazing!
I can't belive that a more than 100 years old lens is that sharp and nice! Shocked
I'm really impressed!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh GOD, just what I need... a whole new WORLD of lenses to lust after! Razz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PERFECT RESULTS!!

wow -- Shocked

tf

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not that surprised by these excellent results. First some of these very old lenses are really great and second you are a fine photographer.
I am, however, also surprised by the contrast this lens delivers. This indeed is astounding!