Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Copal shutter question
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:27 pm    Post subject: Copal shutter question Reply with quote

I'm looking for some rangefinder camera on eBay, and i've seen some sellers describe the shutter as being working ok, yet I see in the photos that it's not fully closed. My guess is that they're stuck, but i know nothing about these shutters... is that normal? should they be fully closed or not?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like they're broken /stuck /gummy.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Smile i also considered it coudl be the iris, but they really looked like shutter blades (you can see a full blade above all others) and besides, i think the iris is usually behind the shutter in rangefinders.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether fixed or interchangeable lens R/F it would make no difference, no shutter should be half open - and the iris is in the lens, same as a normal lens, so in front of the shutter.

On a fixed lens R/F, I thought it could be the seller has stuck the shutter open by means of teh 'B' setting and photographed the camera with the iris half open to show the lens is clear and clean, but if you can actually see the shutter blade, it looks like a fault

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

naplam wrote:
Thanks for the info Smile i also considered it coudl be the iris, but they really looked like shutter blades (you can see a full blade above all others) and besides, i think the iris is usually behind the shutter in rangefinders.

The iris is usually in front, as it needs less body coupling.

In any case, I personally do not buy any ancient camera off ebay under the assumption that the seller is right in claiming that it works, unless the seller is a known repairman and sells the camera explicitly as repaired and reconditioned. In my experience, "working" ebay cameras are on average in no better shape than supposedly broken ones, at any rate if they are older than 20 years - 3/4 of either need cleaning, relubing, resealing and adjustment, half of the rest are good out of the box (among the "broken" ones as well - the sellers often don't know how to make them work), the other half needs regular repairs or is merely useable as a spare parts donor.

Sevo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see, so i must be prepared for some maintenance. Thanks for your answers Smile

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside wrote:
Whether fixed or interchangeable lens R/F it would make no difference, no shutter should be half open - and the iris is in the lens, same as a normal lens, so in front of the shutter.

RF with interchangeble lens has iris always in front of the shutter, with fixed lens it differs, somtimes iris is behind (my Ricoh S3, Fujica Half 1.9). Automatic program cameras can have a combined shutter/iris (just like Rollei XF35); the shutter opens till aperture needed.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolfan wrote:

RF with interchangeble lens has iris always in front of the shutter, with fixed lens it differs, somtimes iris is behind (my Ricoh S3, Fujica Half 1.9). Automatic program cameras can have a combined shutter/iris (just like Rollei XF35); the shutter opens till aperture needed.

Yes, you're right. I'd forgotten about those.