Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Meyer-Optik Orestor 2.8/100
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Meyer-Optik Orestor 2.8/100 Reply with quote

I succeeded in doing my usual round with the Orestor, some results can be seen at http://galactinus.net/vilva/retro/eos350d_orestor100.html.

The Orestor is a nice little lens. Fully open the bokeh isn't particularly good, but it does improve a lot by f/5.6 - like most lenses do, although there are very few lenses I'd consider using even that wide open when the bokeh really matters.

Veijo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for showing!
Unfortunately it, the lens, doesn't speak to me. The bokeh is neither this nor that, like something inbetween or a mix of something that throws me off.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this lens.
THe only thing unpleasant is the OOF highlights, but this is a common trait to all sharp lenses.
For the rest, I find the microcontrast lovely, it really gives life to the images.

I must get myself a copy one of these weeks.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bokeh seems a bit here and there - I like the first shot at 5.6 a lot though.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seem to be a nice lens.

But in the adequate hands, in the adequate place and time and with the adequate subjet matter....And it seem to be the case of yours beautifull pics.

Regards.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of my favorite lens, I rate bit higher Pentacon 100mm f2.8.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila

Sometimes I heared that the oreston, orestegon, etc. are far bettar than the pentacons, while they have to be the same lens (same schame, same glass). May the MC can modify negatively the performance of the pentacons? Other cause?

Thanks, regards.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pentacon group made at in the last years of communism.
They didn't take care much about quality. Carl Zeiss Jena had pretty much stable quality rare to find bad copies. Pentacon is a bit different optical and mechanical quality can be different from Meyers lenses. No general rules some of Pentacon lenses are better than genuine Meyers some not.
In my experience Pentacon 100mm f2.8 can be crap really mechanically hard to find any good copy. Optically I rate a bit above than more common Meyer-Orestegor 100mm f2.8 , Meyer lens has lot better mechanical quality.

Pentacon 135mm zebra vs Orestegor zebra the bokeh Monsters both are lovely lens I bit higher Pentacon labeled lens this can be a really , really superb portrait lens.

Pentacon 135mm 2.8 MC also an excellent lens in any area where is sharpness not most important feature.

Orestegor 200mm vs Pentacon 200mm
I rate higher Orestegor 200mm build and optical quality both are better.

Pentacon 300mm vs Orestegor 300 I see no diffrence.

Pentacon 500mm f5.6 vs Orestegor 500mm
I have experience only with Pentacon variant.

Below 50mm I tested lot of variants I saw no difference really, Primagon 30mm f4.5 lot better lens than 29mm Pentacon.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your pictures are great, thank you.

Meyer are very good by Telelenses, and the sharpness is wide over the sensorlevel.

Superb!

regards Peter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Primagon 30mm f4.5 lot better lens than 29mm Pentacon.

The Pentacon 29/2.8 should derive from Orestegon not Primagon for what I know.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A G Photography wrote:
Attila wrote:
Primagon 30mm f4.5 lot better lens than 29mm Pentacon.

The Pentacon 29/2.8 should derive from Orestegon not Primagon for what I know.

That's true. The Orestegon was the predecessor of the Pentacon 29, both are/were seven lensers. The Primagon had four lenses and was a side track from the five lens Helioplan to the Lydith (5 lenses) and later The Pentacon 3.5/30.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ATTILA

Thank you, very much.

Regards.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Orestegor 200mm vs Pentacon 200mm
I rate higher Orestegor 200mm build and optical quality both are better.

Agree with that. The Meyer Orestegor 200 is a preset lens with a 15 blade diaphragm near the front element. This design continued under the Pentacon badge for a time until it was replaced by the Pentacon 200, which is cheaper build and has an automatic 6 blade diaphragm near the mount, so there are two types of Pentacon. I think this applies to the 135 as well but I'm not sure about the 300.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Atilla, when comparing the Meyer and the Pentacon 200 mm, are you talking about the auto version of the Pentacon?
I have a preset 200 mm Pentacon, is this identical to the Meyer or do you consider this one also inferior to the Meyer?

Eugen

P.S.: I have also an auto 200 mm Pentacon (electric), but the iris actionator lever is disengaged and I don't know how to put it back together.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As usual, I have enjoyed your presentation. Yet another 'old' lens that is shown to have character.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ignoring the bokeh, looked good to me esp. the sharpness and tonality.
gil