Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Helios 44M gets a test run
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:27 am    Post subject: Helios 44M gets a test run Reply with quote

I'm too busy for real photography these days, so instead I spend a bit of time on ebay looking for bargains and fiddle around with gear in my spare time. Got this from a member of a different forum; a helios-44M russian lens (58mm f/2). Blazingly sharp! Another fun toy / tool to put to use once I get some free time this summer. This lens cost $25. Not bad for an f/2, wickedly sharp prime!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Full size view: man that's sharp! This is at f/5.6.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They really are excellent and the prices are going up, albeit slowly. There's a bit of quality control issue with them and it can be a lottery, but they're so cheap it's worth taking a chance on one. It's a lens everyone should have, and (probable exagerration) millions were made, so there's no shortage.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No exaggeration there. There were about 12 million Zenit-E line cameras. It was the MOST massed produced SLR in the world. Even if the helios was an 'upgrade' to the standard industar, there still had to be quite a few.

Very nice shots, you definitely have a great copy. Try it for portraiture wide open. I think you'll like the characteristic nature of it.

~Marc

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Helios 44 has to be the best lens ever in terms of cost effectiveness, if you have a bad one buy another Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poolhall wrote:
The Helios 44 has to be the best lens ever in terms of cost effectiveness, if you have a bad one buy another Very Happy

Yeah, you can't beat that kind of warranty Smile

Couple others.