Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Screw-on filter size for Ultron 50/2 ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Screw-on filter size for Ultron 50/2 ? Reply with quote

Hello! My first topic in this section!

I just received a Voigtländer Prominent I w/ Ultron 50/2 in great condition via Ebay. I'm very satisfied with everything, and feel that this is a keeper. A couple of problems: one, I don't have a cap for the lens (which is more than half the reason I got the camera for), and I would like to get filters for it, but the slip-on type genuine filters are very rare and expensive, and I would also like to be able to use an ND filter with it so that I can shoot at full aperture in daylight, and I don't think there are any genuine ND filters.

Therefore, I would like to seek the option to get a step-up adapter for it and use one of the more generic filter/sizes.

The other problem, of course, is that I do not know the filter size for this lens.

The outer diameter is 47mm, which I guess means that the if I were to go for the genuine slip-on filters, I'd be going for the 3xx/47 model numbers. However, I'd like to use the screws. The inner diameter is just aroud 44.3 mm. Does anybody know the filter size that would work for these? Better yet, anybody know of a way to get a step-up adapter for these? Any help would be appreicated. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.srb-griturn.com/our-filter-range-at-a-glance-chart-174-c.asp
Can make any filter you like in all sorts of weird sizes.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside wrote:
http://www.srb-griturn.com/our-filter-range-at-a-glance-chart-174-c.asp
Can make any filter you like in all sorts of weird sizes.

Thanks for the tip! Sent them an e-mail Wink

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

see here

Click here to see on Ebay

Is this the lens? It seems it is a 47mm filter thread?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hk300 wrote:

Hi, thanks! Yes, this is the lens, and this filter will work, but it's a slip-on filter..it will go over the entire lens barrel, which has an outer diameter of 47mm. What I wish to find is a filter that will screw into the threads.

Since a fairly precise measurement with a caliper shows that the inner diameter is 44.3 mm ish, and the inner diameter of filter threads tend to be a little smaller than their specs on paper (e.g., my Color-Ultron with 49mm filter thread actually has an inner diameter measured this way of about 48.2 mm; a 49 mm filter's outer diameter of its male threads is actually around 48.8 mm), I'm guessing it would have to be a filter marked 45 mm. Unfortunately, I haven't seen any filters or setp-up adapters for 45 mm Sad

Thanks for the find though.

My god this guy's overcharging for the lens; I got mine minty, with the cam for just $200 or so...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rawhead wrote:
hk300 wrote:

Hi, thanks! Yes, this is the lens, and this filter will work, but it's a slip-on filter..it will go over the entire lens barrel, which has an outer diameter of 47mm. What I wish to find is a filter that will screw into the threads.

Since a fairly precise measurement with a caliper shows that the inner diameter is 44.3 mm ish, and the inner diameter of filter threads tend to be a little smaller than their specs on paper (e.g., my Color-Ultron with 49mm filter thread actually has an inner diameter measured this way of about 48.2 mm; a 49 mm filter's outer diameter of its male threads is actually around 48.8 mm), I'm guessing it would have to be a filter marked 45 mm. Unfortunately, I haven't seen any filters or setp-up adapters for 45 mm Sad

Thanks for the find though.

My god this guy's overcharging for the lens; I got mine minty, with the cam for just $200 or so...

Of COURSE it is being overcharged...after all, it's Photo Arsenal! Very Happy

Take a look at their auctions if you want a good laugh...unfortunately they DO seem to sell a lot of gear at the outrageous prices.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:

Take a look at their auctions if you want a good laugh...unfortunately they DO seem to sell a lot of gear at the outrageous prices.

OMG, I just did Shocked

The top item when I clicked on "Store" was 124K! So I sorted to "Price Lowest First" and their cheapest item was a filter for $56!! :-DDD

I had to go the 3rd page or so to actually find a lens; a P6 Biometar for $100, which, I guess isn't that outrageous, although I wouldn't pay more than $70 for one. I sure hope they have good customer care Wink Thanks for the giggles! Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rawhead wrote:

I have step-up rings that do 45-46, 45-49, 45-55, but i am not sure if these fit.

46mm UV filter is a common size, but since you measured 44.3, i doubt that yours is 46mm.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations! The Prominent is an excellent camera, a worthy Leica and Zeiss competitor!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great cam!!!!

One of Voigtlander's better cam!! I had it, after I need the $$$ and sold it.

I bought with lenshade, UV and cap. Never can buy any filter.

Other diameter that voig used in 35mm was 40,5 Mad

Good luck

Rino.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hk300 wrote:

I have step-up rings that do 45-46, 45-49, 45-55, but i am not sure if these fit.

46mm UV filter is a common size, but since you measured 44.3, i doubt that yours is 46mm.

Cool! Where did you get the 45-46? I would be willing to spend $5 on a possible step-up solution; if it doesn't fit, the world still will be here Wink

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Congratulations! The Prominent is an excellent camera, a worthy Leica and Zeiss competitor!

I had never been too interested in rangefinders, but I was just drawn into this baby for some reason. I like it! Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:
Great cam!!!!

One of Voigtlander's better cam!! I had it, after I need the $$$ and sold it.

I bought with lenshade, UV and cap. Never can buy any filter.

Good luck

Rino.

Ah, a lensshade would be cool; that shiny metal thing quite sexy Wink Thanks for wishing me good luck!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:

Rino.

In my list of conversion adapters i have:
40.5 to 43
40.5 to 46
40.5 to 49

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rawhead wrote:
hk300 wrote:

Cool! Where did you get the 45-46? I would be willing to spend $5 on a possible step-up solution; if it doesn't fit, the world still will be here Wink

LOL ...
I am in Hong Kong ... and i know most of the suppliers behind the Ebay vendors.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pics of the 45-49mm conversion ring

Rawhead ... it's on its way to you!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaweet! It looks so cute, even if it doesn't fit my cam, I'll treasure it Wink)) Thanks a lot!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no problem ... let me know if you need other conversion rings Wink

As soon as you can confirm that this filter will fit, a whole new world will open up ...

I guess i also have Alu /Metal hoods, lens caps, etc ...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SUCCESS !!

No force was necessary, so I think 45mm is the correct size! Thank you very much!!

Now I am interested in those hoods, caps, etc. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good to hear!

let me know what you want.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hk300 wrote:
good to hear!

let me know what you want.

Well, what kind of nice-looking hoods do you have?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: Screw-on filter size for Ultron 50/2 ? Reply with quote

i think the correct size of filter is 45mm-49mm., i hope this may help you.,.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Screw-on filter size for Ultron 50/2 ? Reply with quote

[quote="chaser2009"]i think the correct size of filter is 45mm-49mm., i hope this may help you.,.

Hey there! A little late, but thanks!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:31 am    Post subject: Filters for Voigtlander Prominent Reply with quote

This note may be rather late and only of academic interest ... I had a Prominent outfit many years ago and I'm sure I recall that there were filters that screwed OVER the milled section on the lens that looks as though it's intended to let you grasp the lens when de-mounting it. I might be mistaken after 40-odd years, maybe it was the Focar close-up lenses that fitted that way - I had those as well.

It's a lovely camera, and if the lens is in good condition Rawhead will be delighted with the quality - load a roll of fresh Kodachrome and shoot when the light's poor to see how good it is!