Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Lens hood 49FH on Tamron SP 70-210mm f/3.5 adaptall-2 19AH
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject: Lens hood 49FH on Tamron SP 70-210mm f/3.5 adaptall-2 19AH Reply with quote

I have purchased a wonderful zoom with Tamron SP 70-210mm f/3.5 adaptall-2 19AH but the purchase is missing the 49FH lens hood.

The filter size on the lens is 62mm but the lens hood is not a regular 62mm, the zoom itself has a partial lens hood extending from 70mm to 210mm end. I wonder if a larger generic lens hood in 63 to 64mm have a chance to fit in.

Any pointers on how to find the original or alternative lens hood is appreciated.

Thanks,
Hin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should look step ring from 64mm to 62mm on Ebay.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the inputs.

I am going to measure my lens outer diameter and see if a 64mm size can fit the original lens hood location -- likely on the outer zoom ring. The step up or step down with 62 -> 64 or 64 -> 62 will get in the way of zooming.

I don't have a good picture on my lens to show the issues, I will update later on on my peculiar issues -- I love this zoom and it works better for me over my Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm zooms from Kiron, Tokina or the Komine 3rd version.

Lens front
Original lens hood 49FH is likely a screw on type on
outer zoom ring which is not clear on this picture Embarassed

zoom ring will extend pass the front blocking any 62 hood

When zoom ring fully extended to 210mm
Tamron 19AH next to my Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm f/2.8-4.0 with A from Komine

Much thanks, I will update with better pictures

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely better lens than most zoom in this range.Enjoy this great lens.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: Lens hood 49FH on Tamron SP 70-210mm f/3.5 adaptall-2 19 Reply with quote

Hi,

Got a 19AH myself.. use a heavy duty rubber lens hood that has '3 positions' the widest for wide angle, the other two for the tele end. Works fine with no problems. It 'collapses' back almost flush with the end of the lens when carrying.

Doug.

hintheman wrote:
I have purchased a wonderful zoom with Tamron SP 70-210mm f/3.5 adaptall-2 19AH but the purchase is missing the 49FH lens hood.

The filter size on the lens is 62mm but the lens hood is not a regular 62mm, the zoom itself has a partial lens hood extending from 70mm to 210mm end. I wonder if a larger generic lens hood in 63 to 64mm have a chance to fit in.

Any pointers on how to find the original or alternative lens hood is appreciated.

Thanks,
Hin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, thanks for the input and picture. Do you recall the diameter of you 3-stage rubber lens hood? 62mm can't fit on the outer ring. What size? I owe you a favor!

update: it seems you use it right on the glass instead of the outer zoom ring, will it block the extension from the zoom ring?

Thanks,
Hin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hintheman wrote:

I am going to measure my lens outer diameter and see if a 64mm size can fit the original lens hood location -- likely on the outer zoom ring.

The hood is a bayonet fit onto the inside of the outer barrel. That way it doesn't foul the inside barrel. A normal hood on the filter thread would foul the outer barrel as it moved forward. You could try to find a constant diameter tube of 62mm by perhaps 30 or 40mm in length.
For example, such tubes in 58mm are made for Fuji cams with fixed zooms, to allow for fitting of filters etc.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside wrote:
hintheman wrote:

I am going to measure my lens outer diameter and see if a 64mm size can fit the original lens hood location -- likely on the outer zoom ring.

The hood is a bayonet fit onto the inside of the outer barrel. That way it doesn't foul the inside barrel. A normal hood on the filter thread would foul the outer barrel as it moved forward. You could try to find a constant diameter tube of 62mm by perhaps 30 or 40mm in length.
For example, such tubes in 58mm are made for Fuji cams with fixed zooms, to allow for fitting of filters etc.

Thanks for the suggestions on fixed diameter lens hood. I will look into it in ebay.

Last night, I find a 67mm Tamron snap-on lens cap fitting the outer barrel opening whereas the lens filter size is 62mm. That surprises me a bit as I thought the outer barrel is about 64mm. It is likely that the original Tamron lens hood in #49FH is about that size of 67mm or less with a bayonet screw mount that fits onto the inside of the outer barrel. In full extension in 210mm, the original lens hood will add onto the length of the built-in lens hood from the outer barrel.

I wish I know the exact dimensions on the original lens hood such as the diameter of the base and top, along with length or height of the lens hood.

Thank you so much for the help, everyone.
Hin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bayonet ID 66mm OD 67mm

Hood ID 80mm OD 82mm
Hood length 36mm - Total 44mm

Only about 1mm gap between barrels.

Funny thing is I was going to reply yesterday, but found my hood had gone missing Mad I had taken lens out earlier that day to do some deer stalking and assumed I had lost it. Anyway this morning I retraced my steps through the woods and found it trodden in the mud Very Happy The hood is a bit of a pain as you need to remove it to get the lens cap off and would appear easily lost. To be honest I think using your focus hand to shade the lens will be just as effective.

If it was not for this thread I would now be minus one lens hood, thanks Hin.

Regards

Fergus

Last edited by fergus on Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Ferfus for all the help especially the dimensions on the lens hood. The information is invaluable to me in finding a matching one. Last night, I have a copy of generic 67mm 3 stage rubber lens hood arrived for my other Tamron SP adaptall-2 lens with 28-135mm f/4.0-4.5 (28A). Somehow, the 67mm collapsible lens hood can't fit the outer ring, it seems a 1mm too small. And even if it fits, the hood opening is not big enough as in 80mm and the hood blocks the zoom in extending to the far end.

I am glad you found your copy of the hood in the wood. Please keep it as a gem as I can't find it easily online.

Thanks,
Hin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.tamron.de/slr-lenses/accessories/lens-hood/product/49fh_mf_3570_210mm_sp_19ah-1/?L=2
Whether it's still available, I don't know.

www.madsens.com.au/pricelists/Tamron_2007.pdf but a couple of years old.