Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentax A-50mm 1.2 lens?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:12 pm    Post subject: Pentax A-50mm 1.2 lens? Reply with quote

What can folks tell me about this lens? Is it worthy competitor for the Rokkor 58/1.2 lens? Any heop and opinions would be appreciated!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is sharp!

But ... what camera are you planning to use with it?
I have one, but the aperture lever sticks out and i can only the largest few apertures. I am using a 40d

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tested Nikkor , cosina and Pentax 1.2 Pentax is sharpest, I think only biggest name like Carl Zeiss can be better.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:32 pm    Post subject: I'd use this with a 5D Reply with quote

If you have problems with the 40D, I'm probably in the same boat. Anyone tried this with a 5D?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use this lens very frequently since 2 years, it always produces great results.

BUT a lot of Pentaxes 50mm lenses are really superb and from quality and not really far from each other.

The greatest and cheapest allrounder among them is SMC A 50/1.7.
If one makes photographs with A50/1.2 from f1.7 and above there is nearly no difference to see. but price difference can be some hundreds of Euros.
A50/1.2 is really overpriced for my opinion.

stay away from the SMC M - versions.
The very old K versions are awsome. If you want the sharpest 50mm SMC, then you should take a look at SMC K 1.4 ... hard to beat concerning sharpnes. color rendering reminds me on SMC K 28/3.5. very special.

Hope that helps ...

Cheers
Tobias

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:20 pm    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

Thanks very much, this is the type of information I was looking for. I want to try a 50mm Pentax but didn't know much about them.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rare or very rare and price can be higher than Nikkor or Zuiko

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the A version (Pentax KA bayonet) is even more expensive than the K ("plain" K bayonet) because, when mounted on a Pentax d/SLR the only difference between this lens and a AF one is that this one is only manual focus. You can use Av, M, Tv, etc... and matrix/multisegment, average central and spot metering with this lens.