Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nettar 516 samples
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:04 am    Post subject: Nettar 516 samples Reply with quote

I got down to the Corniche in Doha, Qatar, to snap some test shots with the Nettar 516. Normally I wouldn't shoot at noon but, heck, it's just a test. The camera wasn't helped by the fact that the film was 400 ISO and the maximum shutter speed is 1/150, so I was forced to shoot at that on f22, and accept the likelihood os a bit of over-exposure.

I found the results more than surprising (and I think they have been helped by a quantum leap in my scanning technique).

Enjoy

Here's a tight crop from that, 72dpi, at the scanned size of about 20MP

(note the crashed vehicle dumped by the roadside in that last shot. Qatar is a world leader in traffic accidents, so we see this all over the place, every day)

Here's a tight crop from that, 72dpi, at the scanned size of 22MP:

I don't think I could have hoped for better from an e-bay "as is" "cloudy lens, shutter not working at slow speeds" purchase. This is a camera that still has some serious work ahead of it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic samples, Paul!

That reminds me I need to take out my Nettar for a walk one of these days.

Regards,

Jes.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent results - and f/22 is still in the sweet spot in med format, heck, the lens probably is just starting to smile at 11, laugh at 16...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great samples lot better result what I did expect in advance.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're far, far better than I expected, too, Attila. I think this will be a good camera for my retro-look portfolio.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly, nice to have it!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent results, Paul, thanks for sharing! What lens does it have?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
Excellent results, Paul, thanks for sharing! What lens does it have?

It's the Novar Anastigmat f4.5 - a simple triplet. It's amazing how good it is. But then, several M42 triplets produce fine photos, too.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big surprise indeed, I have a Novar on sale that is lot less good than this one.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Big surprise indeed, I have a Novar on sale that is lot less good than this one.

That's a great sales pitch, Attila! "Buy mine, it's worse than Paul's"

What's even more amazingis that I have dismantled the lens and put it back together and it still produces images like this. The front cell focus also seems to be pretty good, as the two best pictures were focused by guestimate, rather than using hyperfocal distances.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing I always honest seller (my room is full with unsellable stuff) Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Razor sharp!! Surprised A real pleasure too look at.

Cheers, Marty.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very very good results from that. I can see why they cost more and still fetch more than many others. Not just a name.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside wrote:
Very very good results from that. I can see why they cost more and still fetch more than many others. Not just a name.

Are you thinking it is something else, Dave? It's a Nettar that set me back about 30 euros, not an Ikonta.

When I see a lot of photos other people produce from folders, I can't help thinking that either I've been very lucky with the cameras I've bought, or other people simply don't bother to try to use them properly.

The ones below were shot on a the $10 Beirax with its more or less unknown Viktor lens (another triplet).

The only problem with my Nettar 517 and my Voightlander Bessa is that they have tiny f7.7 lenses that vignette badly. Needless to say, my Franka from Certo 6 is also very sharp.

These old folders are limited in many ways but if they are properly calibrated they are very fine pieces of photographic equipment. And they ought to be: they might have been cameras for the family snapper but most of them cost two or three weeks' wages for an average labourer, so they weren't cheap by comparison with today's basic P&S.