Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Is Contax 28/2 really worth?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:36 am    Post subject: Is Contax 28/2 really worth? Reply with quote

I read about some good things about Distagon 28/2 (better bokeh, better 3D effect) compared 28/2.8. Currently I'm holding 28/2.8 and it is a nice lens.

Is this really worth to have the 28/2 (with 3-4 times more expensive than 28/2.Cool in your experience? Can someone enlighten me with some more photo with 28/2.

If it is worth, I will sell Distagon 28/2.8, Tessar 45/2.8 and Sonnar 135/2.8 to fund for it.

Thanks a lot.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2/28 and 2.8/2.8 are very different lenses.

The 2.8/28 especially in MM version has great qualities: it is small, it is sharp, it has great colour density, and very good planarity for a wide angle.
It is perfect for travels, and if your use of a 28mm lens is that of shooting landscapes at infinity, you probably would not need anything more. And in any case, I would never advice to sell such a beautiful lens as the 2.8/28. But if you have a AE version you could consider to get a MM version instead as it's a bit better in the corners (irrelevant if you are on a crop camera however).

The 2/28 is something else. Used like a common 28mm, for wide landscapes, it would probably not be worth the expense, as you could obtain perfect results with the 2.8/28. However, when you shoot nearer distances, such as buildings, statues, people in the streets or in a room, inside a forest et c., the 2/28 (a lens that has a floating element to optimize rendering at all focus distances) shows what is the difference: impressive "ariosity" and 3D rendering, an out-of-focus transition to kill for, deep rich colours that seem to come from the inside of the objects. It is very difficult to explain this in words, so I will give you links to some of my 2/28 images. Just the time to find them.

Last edited by Orio on Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:15 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a recent series where I used the 2/28 much, not for all pictures but for many of them. You can find indication of which lens below each photo:

www.oriofoto.net/temp/saturday/index.html

Then there are the images that I shoot for Attila's album at MFLENSES.COM
which is a place that you should always visit because Attila has collected so many image samples.

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/mfl_club_members/orio/contax_distagon_28mm_2_8/

I think, however, that Attila resized the largest size of these to fit his image format. I of course still must have the full size (that of my 5D), but at present I don't have the time to find them.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for ur reply, Orio. I expected to get your input as well. I already checked Attila photos and 2 forums' gallery (this and in manualfocus.org). I still hope see more photos from 28/2 in street, people shooting because I like those topics better than landscape.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Srono wrote:
If it is worth, I will sell Distagon 28/2.8, Tessar 45/2.8 and Sonnar 135/2.8 to fund for it

buy a kiron 28/2.0, I found mine at £30
see if you use it at f2.0
then if you found more money and need better quality, go for a hollywood

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poilu suggestion is very good.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know either Zeiss lens, just the Kiron poilu recommends.
But I guess, it is not only about f2 or f2.8, there is more to it.
The Kiron is a very nice lens, one that suits me and my demands very well. I would not need this almost perfect Zeiss 2/28, unless somebody gave it to me as a present. Wink
But if you are looking for the best you can get, it might be worth to sell other lenses for it. There is, however, always a chance that you will regret that later. I mean, you give away some very good lenses with three different focal lengths just to get one lens (no matter how good this lens is).
This is a decision that should be well considered.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:

But I guess, it is not only about f2 or f2.8, there is more to it.

Yes Carsten, you are right.
The depth of field will be the same, but not other important characteristic for a wide angle lens, such as resistance to flare, geometrical distortion, etc. etc.
But I interpreted Poilu's suggestion mostly as an advice to take a well-pondered decision. And trying a f/2 lens could be worth to have the opportunity to give it all a thought.

Srono you will find that a 2/28 lens is much like having a fast prime 50mm lens but with a larger angle.
I mean that you will be able to use selective focus composition technique effectively, while with a 2.8 lens it's not so easy (espec. considering the very short focal lenght, almost half of a 50mm)

LucisPictor wrote:
But if you are looking for the best you can get, it might be worth to sell other lenses for it. There is, however, always a chance that you will regret that later.
This is a decision that should be well considered.

Absolutely right.
I have sold some of my Contax lenses in the past, and ended up almost always regretting it.
I would not sell your Contax setup for a single lens. I would keep it and enjoy it, and start saving for getting a Hollywood later.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Srono wrote:
I still hope see more photos from 28/2 in street, people shooting because I like those topics better than landscape

Are street cats OK ? Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots, poilu!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An alternative to the Zeiss made Distagon is the SMC Pentax 28/2, which shares the same optical formula (the lens was developed at a time when Pentax had a joint agreement with Zeiss). Here are some extremely interesting web pages on these lenses from the superb website of Marco Cavina:

http://www.luciolepri.it/lc2/marcocavina/articoli_fotografici/Glatzel-2-28/00_pag.htm

http://www.luciolepri.it/lc2/marcocavina/articoli_fotografici/Pentax_28_2_M/00_pag.htm

Too bad my Italian is so basic...

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely cat shots!

And good point by Abbazz, Cavina's writings are amongst the best technical resources available on the net. You can use google translate to read them, it will be rough and you will lose the subtleties but probably still be able to understand the concepts.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sebastien wrote:
An alternative to the Zeiss made Distagon is the SMC Pentax 28/2, which shares the same optical formula

I don't know how well Pentax managed to copy the Distagon design but in one of my tests the pentax got 2/5, the kiron 3/5 and the distagon 4/5 (and was noted the best 28mm)
As for the agreement between Pentax and Zeiss I don't want to believe a single word (even if it is true Twisted Evil)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for your advices and nice cat photos. I love them all. Please give us more Very Happy Nice photos are never enough.

I just sold my 45/2.8 because i rarely use it and also have Contax 50/1.4. Even I don't use much I still find hard to sell that tiny and cute lens. I will consider if I still want to sell the 28/2.8 and 135/2.8. What I was thinking is that I will be able to buy back them in the future easily because they are not rare. Right now, i am quite eager to see how the 28/2 perform. But I will wait for a good deal.

From the info from Marcocavina, only pentax-k 28/2 in 1976 shares the same design with the Hollywood distagon. Quite interesting and worth to try but the I dont think the coating are the same Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is exactly what i like/want to have with 28/2: fine colour, very very nice bokeh. Is it similar in Kiron 28/2. I dont care much about the corner softness, the little bit bigger aperture. Am i very weird? Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abbazz wrote:
An alternative to the Zeiss made Distagon is the SMC Pentax 28/2, which shares the same optical formula (the lens was developed at a time when Pentax had a joint agreement with Zeiss). Here are some extremely interesting web pages on these lenses from the superb website of Marco Cavina:

http://www.luciolepri.it/lc2/marcocavina/articoli_fotografici/Glatzel-2-28/00_pag.htm

http://www.luciolepri.it/lc2/marcocavina/articoli_fotografici/Pentax_28_2_M/00_pag.htm

Too bad my Italian is so basic...

Cheers!

Abbazz

My good friend Marco does a great job when it comes to optics and reserahc about that. We have communicated hours and hours about that and he loves lenses like me.

One does not really need to understand Italian, since the graphs and optical formulas are independent of language and speak for themselves!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The kiron have a more busy bokeh in my test shots but I didn't use this lens enough.
Maybe Carsten have good sample wide open from the kiron

More from distagon

This panorama with the distagon, look the 3D effect on the umbrella on the right

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't used the Kiron 2/28 wide open often. Using a 28mm lens wide open is not the way I typically use such a lens (this is the reason why I very often use the Pentax 2.8/28, Vivitar 2.5/28 or Zuiko 3.5/28 instead). But I'll try to shoot some shots tomorrow...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Srono wrote:
From the info from Marcocavina, only pentax-k 28/2 in 1976 shares the same design with the Hollywood distagon. Quite interesting and worth to try but the I dont think the coating are the same Very Happy

The Pentax SMC coating enjoys a very good reputation. As a side note, in the 1970s, Pentax SMC and Zeiss T* was exactly the same coating. Both companies developed it jointly in 1971 when they had a collaboration agreement.

Zeiss wanted to develop a high end single lens reflex with the Japanese company in order to find a new market for all the wonderful lenses designed for the defunct Contarex range. The joint efforts between Zeiss and Pentax gave us the SMC / T* coating, the Pentax K bayonet and a few lenses (28/2 and 15/3.5). Unfortunately, Zeiss broke up the contract with Pentax before the any camera could be made, allegedly because both companies wanted to have its name on the planned SLR and they never reached an agreement on that. After the failure with Pentax, Zeiss resumed the SLR project with Yashica, but this is another story...

Too bad the Zeiss-Pentax co-operation didn't last long, they could have produced a Pentax made Contax equipped with K mount Shocked And I bet it will still be here today for us to enjoy Rolling Eyes

Cheers!

Abbazz

Last edited by Abbazz on Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:56 am; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
And good point by Abbazz, Cavina's writings are amongst the best technical resources available on the net. You can use google translate to read them, it will be rough and you will lose the subtleties but probably still be able to understand the concepts.

Orio, my Italian is still better than a Google automated translation, thank you Laughing

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Too bad the Zeiss-Pentax co-operation didn't last long, they could have produced a Pentax made Contax equipped with K mount And I bet it will still be here today for us to enjoy

That is too bad. Especially considering how nice it would be to use the Contax lenses on a K10D/K20D. I suppose that the limited line of ZK lenses takes us that direction.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abbazz wrote:
Orio wrote:

Orio, my Italian is still better than a Google automated translation, thank you Laughing
Abbazz

I know ! I was "talking" to Srono Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:

That is too bad. Especially considering how nice it would be to use the Contax lenses on a K10D/K20D. I suppose that the limited line of ZK lenses takes us that direction.

I have an evil scientist plan in the back of my mind:

1) save money for new 5D Mark II, then get it as soon as possible

2) bring my original 5D to Adriano Lolli to have it transformed into a Contax camera! Shocked

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sound like a brilliant plan. Cool No mad scientist required.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this case, I would like to be mad also.
Btw, after searching for a while i believe that Pentax-K 28/2 is even harder to find than Contax 28/2.